Scimitar of Speed - how many attacks?

Discussion of OOP 1st & 2nd Edition products and rules, ie TSR AD&D material.

Moderators: Thorn Blackstone, Halaster Blackcloak

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Scimitar of Speed - how many attacks?

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

The DM Guide says that a scimitar of speed increases the number of attacks by one figure. So if a character normally has 1 attack per round, with the scimitar of speed he gets 3 every 2 rounds. If he normally gets 3 every 2 rounds, it increases to 2 attacks per round with the scimitar of speed.

So what if the person normally has 2 attacks per round (any fighter at or above 13th level)? The PHB only shows 2 attacks per round from 13th level on to infinity. Would that increase to 5 attacks every 2 rounds, or would it not make a difference because 2 attacks per round is the limit?

The latter kind of sucks, but I'm just not sure there's any case for more than 2 attacks per round. I've never had to deal with that. I'd assume 5/2 rounds would be valid, because a hasted 13th level fighter would get 4 attacks.

Thoughts?
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

Also, if the monster entry says the monster gets 2 attacks per round under "Number of Attacks", then under "Damage/Attack" it says 1d4 (x2) or by weapon, where the 1d4 (x2) is done with two claw attacks, can the creature attack twice with a weapon (since it says 2 attacks per round) or does that only apply to its claw attack and it gets just one with a weapon? I've seen it done both ways. Not sure which is "official".
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

I'm pretty sure I've seen some monster entries where the author equipped a monster with a ring of speed (acts as scimitar of speed) or some such device (they're always making new magical items / spells) and it doubled the monsters attacks. If I recall, correctly one was a carrion crawler with one somehow put on its tentacles. Pretty sure I've seen some demons / devils have this as well.

5/2 doesn't sound too outrageous, but then again, I haven't played canon or any tabletop in ages. Hell, I think I recall a DM once allowing some drow to dual wield Scimitars of Speed and turned the guy into a meat grinder. Come to think about it.. they were called Lolth's Vengeance (Venomous Speedy Scimitars of Wounding)+3 TH/dmg but affect as a +5 Weapon (way OP IMHO. Not only poisonous, but bled you each round. The venom was at least not directly Save or die but suffer poison until dead was like 5% per round of your current hp but no less than 1-4 dmg), in addition to the bleeding from the wounding. Fortunately, it was one of the BBEG and the blades burts into webs & spiders upon his death.

edit... also, the poison acted as a weakness spell but I forget cast at what level. It'll come to me... maybe.

Looked something like this: I can't remember exactly the art (we shared ideas at times)
garhkal
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by garhkal »

Halaster Blackcloak wrote:Also, if the monster entry says the monster gets 2 attacks per round under "Number of Attacks", then under "Damage/Attack" it says 1d4 (x2) or by weapon, where the 1d4 (x2) is done with two claw attacks, can the creature attack twice with a weapon (since it says 2 attacks per round) or does that only apply to its claw attack and it gets just one with a weapon? I've seen it done both ways. Not sure which is "official".
I've always shifted to 5/2, then 3/1, then 7/2 and so on.
Halaster Blackcloak wrote:Also, if the monster entry says the monster gets 2 attacks per round under "Number of Attacks", then under "Damage/Attack" it says 1d4 (x2) or by weapon, where the 1d4 (x2) is done with two claw attacks, can the creature attack twice with a weapon (since it says 2 attacks per round) or does that only apply to its claw attack and it gets just one with a weapon? I've seen it done both ways. Not sure which is "official".
Most monsters are multiple attacks natural, 1 attack/round if using weapons..
It's not who you kill, but how they die!