Bowl of Watery Death - Why so deadly?

Discussion of OOP 1st & 2nd Edition products and rules, ie TSR AD&D material.

Moderators: Thorn Blackstone, Halaster Blackcloak

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Bowl of Watery Death - Why so deadly?

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

I never could understand this. Drowning in a bowl of watery death means you're dead forever. According to the DMG, even a wish will not allow resurrection from this particular doom.

Why?

What makes a bowl of watery death so lethal?
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

Mira
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Mira »

I would say it's related to the interpretation of Wish, but that's because in my game there was a difference between the Wish spell and a Wish granted by a deity. The Wish spell, used by mages and creatures like efreet is a weaker version of a deity granted Wish.

IMO, an item that can defeat a Wish would essentially be an artifact, created with a deity's involvement. And a deity granted Wish could still function to restore someone affected by it. At least one granted by a more powerful deity than the one that helped create the bowl.

I suppose that in a setting where the Greek mythos was supreme, the Bowl might have been created by Poseidon, whose power is on par with Zeus and Hades. Thus nobody would be able to override it.

Of course, this interpretation only works if you go with the idea that who grants the Wish makes a difference :)

Mira (Success is the art of making your mistakes when nobody's looking.)
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

I can go with that explanation! :D I use wishes in much the same way.

Just wondering why though, by official TSR rules, it was so deadly. Some items just see inexplicable.
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!