Souped up cure critical wounds - where did they get this?

Discussion of OOP 1st & 2nd Edition products and rules, ie TSR AD&D material.

Moderators: Thorn Blackstone, Halaster Blackcloak

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Souped up cure critical wounds - where did they get this?

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

In the 2e Monstrous Manual, under the description for the lamassu, it says it can cast cure serious wounds for 4d8+2 pts. of healing, and cure critical wounds doing 6d8+6 pts. of healing.

:shock:

My cleric wants those versions of those damned spells! :evil:

Does anyone think that's just a typo? After all, that's double the amount of healing those spells do as defined in the PHB.

Or is it the intent that lamassu are so holy and powerful that their healing spells do more?

I never paid much attention to that before, because it's been decades since I even had a lamassu making an appearance in my games.
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

Mira
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Mira »

My guess is that it's just a property of the lamassu, they can cast healing spells for double the normal effect.
(so no, your cleric can't do that :D )

In Pathfinder, if your cleric has the Healing Domain as one of it's domains, they can get +50% more healing from their spells. Could be something similar.

Mira (On the other hand, you have different fingers)
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

I'm just surprised it never mentions something along the lines of "lamassu do twice as much healing with their spells, i.e. cure serious wounds does 4d8+2, not 2d8+1".

Made me wonder if they simply left out that wording or whether it was a typo and they do normal healing as per the spell. The way I see it, if you're in such trouble you need a lamassu to lend a hand (and my players might, next adventure! :twisted: ), let them do more healing.
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!