Is the tarrasque the worst enemy of druids?

Discussion of OOP 1st & 2nd Edition products and rules, ie TSR AD&D material.

Moderators: Thorn Blackstone, Halaster Blackcloak

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Is the tarrasque the worst enemy of druids?

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

I just thought of something the other day. In many of my campaigns, undead have become quite the enemy of druids. Why? Because they are so un-natural. They lie outside all the laws of nature - birth, life, death, rebirth.

But I was thinking about the tarrasque recently. And I'm starting to think it would be the greatest enemy of druids, even more so than undead. The MM describes it as a "killing machine" that eats all animals and plants for "ravishing the countryside for miles around". Every decade or so it becomes even more active, doing far more damage. Under the ecology section, it says:

"It is hoped that the tarraque is a solitary creation, some hidden abomination uleashed by the dark arts or by elder, forgotten gods to punish all of nature."

Then again, it later says:

...nature quickly grows over all remnants of its presence.

So maybe druids see this as part of the cycle of death and rebirth, much as how forest fires are needed to spread health in the forest.

Thoughts?
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

Mira
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Mira »

I personally have never used one or even acknowledge the existence of one.

That said, I am more inclined towards the latter interpretation, the tarrasque is a singular beast, there's really nothing you can do about it (unless you're Halaster of course) and it does go away eventually. Kind of like a hurricane or as you said, a forest fire. I think a druid would warn animals (including people) about it and encourage evacuation, just like they would for a forest fire, but not try to get in the way. (not that a druid could stop a tarrasque anyways)

Undead propagate, and don't go away unless you do something about them. My druids have always been staunch foes of undead, for the reasons you gave, they are a complete abomination against nature.

Mira (Sometimes I wake up grumpy; Other times I let him sleep)
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

An abomination against nature is precisely how we've always considered them! Great minds...! :wink:
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!