We may have some artists

General discussion of the Back in Print Project

Moderators: Thorn Blackstone, Halaster Blackcloak

slade88green
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by slade88green »

If I could draw anything besides maps I would do it myself, but I think your looking for more then stick figures, lol. Since its so hard to find one person to draw so many pictures maybe you could get copyright use from several different artists and use the work of say 1/2 dozen.
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

No, we gotta stick with one artist, or it will look messy. I guess we keep looking. #@
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

Tarrax Ironwolf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Tarrax Ironwolf »

Halaster Blackcloak wrote:So now the question is (as always)...can he crank out top-notch work (ie his best effort) on a regular basis and complete about 35-40 images? Keep in mind they need backgrounds for the room depictions, although many of the needed pieces would be similar to this one in total detail or amount of artwork:

http://imgcash5.imageshack.us/Himg510/s ... &ysize=480
What exactly do you mean by 'regular basis'? One to four a day, a week, a month? I ask because I am currently unemployed (though in the process of trying to sell my home and moving soon - exactly when - unsure with the market as it has been) and I *might* be able to help out, assuming if my work is up to par with what you are looking for.

I always loved Tomb of Horrors, and I decided to take the same path of drawing images for the players to look at when adventuring. Mind you majority of these were unfinished because the group I played with had gone into hiatus and unfortunately we all went our separate ways and the adventure was never concluded, so these remained unused. Out of the seven images only two are inked, the rest are pencil. I realize that you are looking for ink work and I hope what you see in the inked ones are to your liking. Well here goes... Enjoy!

This first one is called Sword (draft), it was to show the players the magical sword they were seeking. And no its not the Sword of Omens, the center gemstone was a cat's eye agate (with no scrying powers).

The second is called Dragon hunt (draft). The characters, once they approach the designated area where the dragon lived, I would hand them this.

The third is called Dungeon Crawl (unfinished) was to show the dungeon intersection once they arrived there.

The fourth in the list is called Dungeon Pillars (inked - but draft). This was to show the players of a particular dungeon with wooden pillars that went the length of the passage. It was in fact a trap.

The fifth is called Undead Encounter (unfinished). In this scene, if the players had been captured earlier in the adventure, they were kept alive to be later sacrificed to an unknown deity. If they successfully escaped their bonds (and hopefully armed themselves with whatever they could find) they would encounter a pit of undead.

The sixth image is called Green vs. Black (inked). This was for a friend of mine who wanted a scene of a green and black dragon fighting. It was for an adventure he was making for his group. Unfortunately I wasn't privy to this group. I think it was his cousins that he visited every other month.

The last image is called Knight (unfinished?). The reason why I say this is (unfinished?) is because I actually liked the unfinished look. It draws the eye to the knight more in my opinion. This actually started out as a doodle, but I kept adding to it. I kept it in its large viewing format because of the level of detail that would wash out if I were to shrink it down in size.
"We played Dungeons & Dragons for three hours! Then I was slain by an elf." -- Homer Simpson

Dragynn (My new AD&D gaming blog)
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

Tarrax, do you have any full finished pics with characters? From what I can tell by the sketches, your work is awesome! I think it would be great if you wanted to do the art! :D Especially since you're one of the BIP members and I've known you for years and years now. It's like having family involved. :wink:

As for the work load, well...with 3 jobs, I've been severely slowed in writing. So it's not like we need it all immediately, although we've had so many problems with getting art done that I'd like to try to target say 1 piece a week, or at least 3 a month. We need something like 40 pieces, although many of those are just a single sword or a small image...check out what art there is in the Undermountain booklet in Ruins of Undermountain. That's about the same amount we're looking for. Actually, I prefer a few more rooms and a few less small pieces, but that gives you the best idea of the overall workload. And we need a handful of monsters drawn. By handful I mean about 25 or so. :twisted:

I just dread getting to the day where the writing is finished and we have no art.

So yeah, can you send me some more inked samples? I really like what I'm seeing, and would love to see Dragon Hunt, Dungeon Crawl and some others inked. Or I can just send you some room descriptions for you to start on if you like. :wink:
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

Tarrax Ironwolf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Thanks Hal. I'm sorry to say that I only have one character portrait done, it too is in pencil (shading is much easier with pencil than inked) but it, as well as 90% of my D&D stuff, is packed away at the storage facility till our move is complete. As for the other character portraits that I have done, they were for gamers and I no longer have those.

But if you like, as you said in your post, you can send me a few rooms descriptions (as well as the small pieces) and I can work on those and send it back to you for review and see if that is what you are looking for?

Just to let you know, shortly after I posted my post, I received a call for employment, but I don't think that will hinder my obligation for sending in any artwork.
"We played Dungeons & Dragons for three hours! Then I was slain by an elf." -- Homer Simpson

Beowulf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Beowulf »

Wow, Tarrax! That's nice work. It would be cool to see you do the illustrations- it would be fitting to have a long time BiP'er doing the art! :D
RIP E. Gary Gygax- The DM's DM!
Tarrax Ironwolf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Thanks Beowulf, most of those started out as doodles and then full drafts. Funny how inspiration can hit you during a doodle.

Beowulf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Beowulf »

I used to draw a lot, even had a bit of talent, but I stopped a long time ago. Other interests just won out. I often wish I'd have kept with it.
RIP E. Gary Gygax- The DM's DM!