Need input on Ruins of Undermountain III: The Deadly Levels

Public discussion of the extensive development of new levels in the Ruins of Undermountain.

Moderator: Thorn Blackstone

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Need input on Ruins of Undermountain III: The Deadly Levels

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

Ok, this thread is going to serve as the storehouse for feedback on various issues I'm looking at as I review what we have so far.

Issue #1: Number of New Monsters on Level 7

Level 7 is known as Arcturia's Abode, after the archmage Arcturia, apprentice to Halaster and constant dabbler in modifying monsters. In the original RoU that is one of her main claims to fame...she modifies and changes monsters to enhance their deadliness, creating variants, hybrids, etc.

So far, there are 15 new monsters for Level 7 alone, but only 5 of them specifically created by Arcturia. Do you think 5 variant/new monsters is enough, considering that's Arcturia's main "thing", ie she loves to use subtle polymorphing spells and use what amounts to genetic techniques to breed new monsters and more powerful variants? My goal is to make interesting variants, not simple, boring variants. While 5 of them are actual hybrid/variants of existing monsters and in most cases practically new ones considering how different they are, my question is: Are 5 enough? It seems to me we should have far more new monsters specifically created by Arcturia on this level. Some of the other 10 new ones can be attributed to her, but they don't quite fit her style, that's about all I can say (new golem, etc).

So would 5 new variants specifically designed by Arcturia be satisfactory, or should there be far more?
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

Varl
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Re: Need input on Ruins of Undermountain III: The Deadly Lev

Post by Varl »

Halaster Blackcloak wrote:So would 5 new variants specifically designed by Arcturia be satisfactory, or should there be far more?
Five should be enough if they're sufficiently interesting enough and freely "distributed" throughout her level. Combine those five with the other 10 uniques, as well as any known monsters that may be on the level, should be more than enough. You're not looking for a monster to be in every room and cave are ya? :wink:
Tired of clone MMOs? So are we!
http://trialsofascension.com/
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Varl wrote:
You're not looking for a monster to be in every room and cave are ya?

Hmmm...now that you mention it... :twisted:

LOL!

My thinking is just that if Arcturia is such a prolific tamperer of monsters, 5 seems a small number. I sorta pictured her level being ridden with new monsters and variants. Of course, 15 new species overall is a good number considering it's one dungeon level. I may attribute some of the other new ones to her.

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

I was just thinking...with all the new monsters (30+) and all the new magic items (30+) and all the new spells (30+), and then with probably 200 pages of adventure...this should be its own supermodule! Hell, it's like a RoU box set, combined with a new Encyclopedia Magica, a new Monstrous Compendium, and a new Magic Items book! :shock:

Wish we could sell this! It'd go for $100. At 1990 prices even! #@