Ok, decision time! What do you all think?

Public discussion of the extensive development of new levels in the Ruins of Undermountain.

Moderator: Thorn Blackstone

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Ok, decision time! What do you all think?

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

Well, I've been entertaining an idea lately. It's been very difficult so far, getting this massive project finished. First, we've had artist problems like nothing you can imagine. Second, it seems that life just keeps kicking the asses of the development team. This round, it's Doirche getting hit, last time it was me. It just never ends.

Now call me stupid or call me stubborn (I'll agree with the latter), but I just don't know how to say "I quit". Never quite learned the art of giving up. However, the project has hit another major stall for all of 2011 so far.

So, I was entertaining the idea of releasing Ruins of Undermountain III: The Deadly Levels as a 3-part download. In other words, we could release Level 7 by itself in a matter of days if need be. Then whenever Level 8 is wrapped up, we could release that. Then the sub-level, after that. At least that way, people would get something they've been wanting for years, and perhaps it would motivate some people to join in the effort to produce the rest.

On the other hand, it sorta defeats the purpose of releasing a boxed set in the first place. Plus, it diminishes the overall "shock and awe" impact of the final, total project.

Without going too far off topic and into politics, I do a lot of research behind the scenes, and so far everything I've predicted over the years (which of course coincided with what others who do their research were predicting) has come to pass. The housing depression for example. And I can assure everyone, the crash that happened in 2008 is just an appetizer for what's yet to come. That I guarantee. So it very likely could come down to a time in 2012 or 2013 where no one will care or even be online because we'll literally be in the Greater Depression, which will make the Great Depression look like small peanuts. I would like to finish the project so people can enjoy it before all hell breaks loose. So yes, there is a very stressful timeline we're up against.

So what do you all think? Does it even make sense to release it in parts? At least that way people are assured of getting some if not most of it.

The problem I have with it is that, in addition to diminishing the overall impact of the project, there are other problems. Think about the original Undermountain box set. If you were to release those levels in 3 releases, how do you split up the bulk of information such as new spells, new NPCs, etc? Basic information on connections between levels, etc. It becomes a nightmare to figure out what to cut off and where, and still release a partial and yet complete adventure.

Thoughts?
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

Varl
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by Varl »

If it got this out sooner and wrapped, I'm all for a three-part PDF of RouM3.

As for how to split it up into thirds, I don't know the layout of the dungeon (or, if I do have the map, I haven't looked at it for some time), but I'd try and slice it into thirds either based on creature location, room similarity, separation of sections or even by dungeon level depth. If it's all going to be seamless going from room Z of PDF1 to room A in PDF2, I wouldn't sweat over it. Just pick three locations in the text to chop.

If DMs read the thing and see that the characters are approaching room Z on PDF1, a good DM will improvise knowing not much is left, and if PDF2 has yet to be released.
Tired of clone MMOs? So are we!
http://trialsofascension.com/
Algolei
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Algolei »

"Publish, and be damned." 8)
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

I probably should be in bed, but eh...not quite tired yet. So... :D

Varl wrote:
If it got this out sooner and wrapped, I'm all for a three-part PDF of RouM3.
I'm not sure if it's a matter of sooner or wrapping it up. It's just that I want to release something already. At this point, it feels like God himself is trying to stall this. Divine mis-intervention or something. :shock:

[Not sure mis-intervention is a word. If not, I just made it up.]
As for how to split it up into thirds, I don't know the layout of the dungeon (or, if I do have the map, I haven't looked at it for some time), but I'd try and slice it into thirds either based on creature location, room similarity, separation of sections or even by dungeon level depth. If it's all going to be seamless going from room Z of PDF1 to room A in PDF2, I wouldn't sweat over it. Just pick three locations in the text to chop.
I didn't mean split an individual layer. I meant releasing all of Level 7, then all of Level 8, then the sub-level, each in its own release. But it seems like something is gonna get missed that way. I'll forget a major character or something.

Plus, there are major connections between the levels, and that's a problem. Ugh!

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Algolei wrote:
"Publish, and be damned."
I'm damned already, I just want to be published too! LMAO! :lol:

Varl
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by Varl »

Halaster Blackcloak wrote:I didn't mean split an individual layer. I meant releasing all of Level 7, then all of Level 8, then the sub-level, each in its own release. But it seems like something is gonna get missed that way. I'll forget a major character or something.
I think you're worried over nothing, besides, that's what errata's for. The people that would download and use this aren't looking for perfection; they're looking for inspiration and new adventure, and I think that even doing this revision the "injustice" of fracturing it into downloads based each level and sub-level, is something most people simply won't care about. You're not going to be able to please everyone.
Tired of clone MMOs? So are we!
http://trialsofascension.com/
slade88green
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by slade88green »

I would vote for releasing it in sections. The project is enormous in its entirety and has been very overwhelming. I think everyone would be happy to see a section of it ready for download. As far as the spells are concerned, I guess it would depend on if certain spells are used and found only with certain people on a certain level. If they are not I would say release them as well. We need this new material so we have entertainment during the upcoming collapse (yes, I know its coming too, I have for years).
Beowulf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Beowulf »

I vote for releasing in sections, too. That way you can at last have part of it out there, and maybe get some feedback as you go.
RIP E. Gary Gygax- The DM's DM!
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

I'm considering it seriously. Doirche is missing in action again, and I fear we may have lost our cartographer. Which of course just makes my stress level jump into the stratosphere since I don't have a recent copy of the maps in Illustrator format from him yet.

I'm caught up on my home campaign for awhile. I've been working on it to de-stress lately, to much success. :) But I'm as far ahead as I can write until the group can play the next two adventures, so it's time to focus on RoUIII again. I'm going to read through it with a fine tooth comb this week, since I've been away from it for awhile now. Just get myself up to speed and re-aligned and see what we can do. It might be best to split it into 3 parts...

Level 7
Level 8
The Sub-level (name withheld until publication for various reasons)

Is anyone here intimately familiar with Illustrator? I'm afraid we may have to have someone else take over updating the maps until we can get in touch with Doirche.