Undermountain III: The Deadly Levels Update - May 27, 2010

Public discussion of the extensive development of new levels in the Ruins of Undermountain.

Moderator: Thorn Blackstone

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Undermountain III: The Deadly Levels Update - May 27, 2010

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

Well, progress has been slow with lots of dead time due to real life. However, we are plowing along and are getting very close to completion! I believe that once this is released, people will (after soiling their underwear!) quickly realize just why this project took so long. Here's some updates:

First, Level 7 is complete, except for one oversight. :roll: So I may have to add some rooms to that level. Otherwise, the rooms are all written, the map is all done, etc.

Second, I just wrapped up writing on all the Areas of Interest for the Sub-Level we are including in this release. And I'm plowing through the core rooms for the sub-level as we speak.

Third, the map for Level 8 is finished (short of any minor tweaks dictated by the writing). I have many of the rooms planned and some written up, so that should go quickly once I wrap up the sub-level.

The art is coming along thanks to Tarrax Ironwolf! :D

We have the following developed room count, which may go up some depending on how many rooms I have to add to Level 7. But for now it looks like:

Level 7 = 42 Core Rooms, 26 Areas of Interest = 68 developed rooms
Level 8 = 42 Core Rooms, 26 Areas of Interest = 68 developed rooms
Sub-Level = 14 Core Rooms, 12 Areas of Interest = 26 developed rooms

That's 162 developed rooms, plus I believe we have 15 more developed plug-and-play rooms that can be inserted anywhere, for a total of 177 developed rooms. And there will probably be 10 more added to Level 7 for a total of 188 developed rooms.

To put that into perspective, the original Ruins of Undermountain had 124 developed rooms, and Ruins of Undermountain II had 134 developed rooms.

So far, we have 28 new spells, 21 new monsters, 18 new magic items, and 7 new NPCs. Those numbers will also skyrocket by the time we're done. The numbers I listed are the ones already written up and finished.

So it's looking good! :D
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!