Sub-level nearing completion stage!

Public discussion of the extensive development of new levels in the Ruins of Undermountain.

Moderator: Thorn Blackstone

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Sub-level nearing completion stage!

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

Well, some good news! :D

First, I just wrapped up the writing of the Areas of Interest for the sub-level being included in this release. It's in the proofers' hands now. I'm also plowing through the core rooms for the sub-level so that should be wrapping up shortly.

The map for the sub-level is finally completed, after several (ummm...like 5 :shock: ) re-draws and re-designs. Had to get it just right.

So, very soon I'm on to Level 8 and then a release date!

:D
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

Tawnos76
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Tawnos76 »

Will be waiting to give it a try with my group. They are currently on level 3 of undermountian and I was about to go into Undermountain II with them..
IXOYE
Doirche

Post by Doirche »

Tawnos76 wrote:Will be waiting to give it a try with my group. They are currently on level 3 of undermountian and I was about to go into Undermountain II with them..
!!!
RoUMII does NOT exist in the "minds eyes" of the developers of the RoUMIII project. This was such a horrible release I will mention it no more.

The BIP project members will be developing the RoUMIV which will only include Level 9 of Undermountain (and maybe a few extras :twisted: ) and then we will dive head first into a "release" of the RoUMII which will include main levels 4-6.

Please spare your PC's and wait for us to release a "real" product and not the farce that was originally released.

Just my .02
-D
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Amen Doirche!

RoUII was an abomination of sloppiness and unimagination. It failed on every level. It was unfaithful to the original. It was phoned in. At best.

So yeah, we're gonna re-do it the right way! :twisted:

I'd say keep them on Level 3 until we get out some new material, or expand on your own. Almost nothing from RoUII was worth using, and putting them through the written material of that crap box set will simply ruin the excitement of Undermountain for them. For example:

When they come across the lesbian druidess who's chasing her undead husband around hoping to beg his forgiveness for her having killed him...

I shit you not. It's in there. :roll:

Tawnos76
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Tawnos76 »

Then I will hold off on Undermountain II from TSR. I have the Skullport module so once they reach there in Level 3 I will start that which will keep them going for a while. Then I will probably go into Dragon Mountain before coming back to Undermountain.
IXOYE
Beowulf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Beowulf »

Cool! I'm eager to see your progress. 8)
RIP E. Gary Gygax- The DM's DM!
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

The Areas of Interest for the sub-level are done being proofed! :D

I'm finishing off the core rooms now. I expected them sooner, but my "vacation" sucked so bad it was worse than not being on vacation! Long, sad story! :cry: :evil: Anyway, I had planned on finishing all of the sub-level during my vacation but that didn't happen. But I'm cranking out rooms every few nights, so it should be done soon.

What takes so long is not just room writing, but often having to tweak the map (ie re-draw entire sections) to fit what I see in the room. Sometimes rooms are too complex or too large, sometimes too small or not complex enough for what I'm writing. When you guys finally see the map, you'll understand why re-doing rooms or sections on this particular level is such a nightmare. Trust me on this! #@

But it keeps Doirche on his toes! :twisted: :wink:

Beowulf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Beowulf »

Halaster Blackcloak wrote:
But it keeps Doirche on his toes! :twisted: :wink:
Haha! Get with it, Doirche! :twisted: :P :lol:
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Doirche is gonna have a freaking fit when he sees all the changes I had to make to the sub-level map. :shock:

What I hate most about doing dungeon designs backwards (by this I mean drawing a map first, then writing it, instead of writing it first, then drawing it to the plot) is that things have to change often. Sometimes extensively. I'm trying to keep changes to a minimum though, if only to spare Doirche's sanity. :)

Wait till you guys see the sub-level. I mean, really, I can't wait to see the reactions. Any PCs who can accurately map this level and who manage not to get lost should be awarded 100,000,000 xp simply for being that good at mapping. :shock: It makes a minotaur maze look easy. I don't want to reveal too much, but it's just completely and insanely chaotic and convoluted. Directions are absolutely meaningless. It branches off Level 8, as we've mentioned before, so it has to be deadly and tricky. But let me tell you, most PCs who find themselves in this level will probably just slit their own throats and get it over with. Its that nasty. :twisted:

Beowulf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Beowulf »

Sounds evil! :twisted: I can't wait to see it.