BIP Project - Ruins of Undermountain Expansion

Public discussion of the extensive development of new levels in the Ruins of Undermountain.

Moderator: Thorn Blackstone

Minstrel
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Minstrel »

The Dark Halls?

Best I could come up with tonight, maybe I'll be more creative tomorrow.
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

Well, it wouldn't make much sense to call the upper, most well-known levels the "forgotten" or "lost" levels. :wink:

Calling them the dangerous levels fits the "D" theme, but still sounds a bit off, because it almost implies that those levels are the most dangerous. They're not.

Descent Into Madness would probably fit Level 9 (Halaster's lair) best, although it does make sense in that you're just beginning the descent. But again, we want to call them some sort of levels, and "Descent Into Madness" sounds more like a module.

The Dark Halls isn't bad either, although we want to call them "The _____ Levels" in keeping with the "Levels" theme. And there's already a "Dark Levels", ie the 14 sub-levels group.

Hmmm. :?
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

Doirche

Post by Doirche »

The Desolate Levels
The Deserted Levels
The Denizen Levels
The Desecrated Levels
The Deranged Levels
The Disavowed Levels
The Distant Levels
The Disconnected Levels
The Damned Levels :D
adidamps2
Dungeon Delver
Dungeon Delver

Post by adidamps2 »

Halaster Blackcloak wrote:Calling them the dangerous levels fits the "D" theme, but still sounds a bit off, because it almost implies that those levels are the most dangerous. They're not.

Hmmm. :?
that would be made clear by the "Deadly" level of course, and Deadly is by definition more than just Dangerous... :wink:
McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

Hey Hal,

You must have moved the card thread into the devopement area as I got a message that a post was entered. As soon as I clicked the link in my email I got the "I don't have permission to view thread" message. I was kind of curious about the ideas in that particular thread.
At the edge of madness, he will show no sadness
Never broken, he'll be back for more
Proven under fire, over trench and wire
No fear of death, he's unshakeable
Forged for the war, he's unbreakable
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

I accidentally posted it in the public area, but it was supposed to posted in the development area. :oops:

So I moved it to the development area. I loved the ideas both of you posted, and I think if you both want to be credited, we can use most of those doors. :D Wow, we're going to have one heavily packed box set! :D
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

For most I was considering the level depth so I didn't want to think of anything too lite in difficulty. Naturally the ideas need polishing and description. The turn to gold statue idea I actually got from Rahasia (though there was no teleportation of statue to a museum). I just figured it would make sense that Halastar might have a trophy room of defeated adventurers. I suppose even nastier would be animation of the statues in the museum(s) similar to constructs. Lord knows it is pretty hard to put together a chopped up stone statue that was once an actual person (maybe a wish would work).

Tesseracts/hypercubes are something I've just become acquainted with and find rather fascinating if not confusing.

Usally Rose Estes books are pretty bleh, but she does put a few ideas that seem interesting (the door of ice that is a wise cracking prick. sure you can hack its face to bits but it just melts back a new one). I think said door wouldn't be so easily defeated by just single lit torch though (i'd give it the ability to breathe icy gusts of wind to blow out torches). I'd probably give it a hp/ac type with a regeneration ability (except vs. opposed element). Different doors of ice might even have special attacks...cone of cold, ice storm, wall of ice, chill metal, ice ball, freezing cloud (sort of like pyrotechnic cloud), ice darts/ray, etc.

Naturally I would just stick to that element as you could have: fire, air, earth, any para/quasi element.

I also recall a door in a D&D adventure (gem&staff) where it was actually a solid black pudding (just looked like a black doorway).

I certaintly wouldn't rule out mimics as doors (esp specialized ones).
Never broken, he'll be back for more
Proven under fire, over trench and wire
No fear of death, he's unshakeable
Forged for the war, he's unbreakable
McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Re: BIP Project - Ruins of Undermountain Expansion

Post by McDeath »

Lol, almost an almost 13 year old post.