Level 8 begins in tandem with Level 7!

Public discussion of the extensive development of new levels in the Ruins of Undermountain.

Moderator: Thorn Blackstone

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Level 8 begins in tandem with Level 7!

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

Well, some more good news!

I've been working on finishing Level 7 of Undermountain. There are something like 64 fully developed rooms to do, and as of last summer it was stuck at 13 written. I've gotten a lot more done and will soon be handing it over to the proof readers. Figure another 15-20 rooms. At this rate, all the rooms will be done in a few months, and then there's just some extra stuff to work on.

Sometimes when I get inspired, I work on more than one thing at a time. This is one of those times. First, with Level 8 being the Slime Level, it always reminded me of Juiblex and the Cthulhu mythos. I've been reading some Lovecraft stuff at night, and the BIP Project signed up a new cartographer, so I'm double inspired.

So now I am simultaneously working on drawing up Level 8. This is a good thing, because it means that when I get writer's block for a night on one level, I can freshen up by going to the other level and writing. That way, there's less downtime overall.

So, if anyone has any suggestions, questions, or ideas about Level 8, post them here. I'm open to hearing from everyone about this level. It's damned dangerous, being a level overrun by slimes, molds, jellies, etc. Still, it has to be workable for adventuring. The architecture is going to be out of this world, that much I do know! :wink: :twisted:

It will feature priests of Juiblex as one of the few humanoid types dwelling there. Next to Level 9 (Halaster's Lair), Level 8 is by far the worst (ie hardest) to survive.

Anyway, forward we go! :D
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Well, I just finished drawing up the entire map for Level 8. Whew! :shock:

Got just a couple of touch-up details and I'll take it to Kinko's to make copies.

Then it's off to Doirche for conversion. :wink:

When I get it scanned and copied at Kinko's, I'll post a preview. This one is packed with rooms as well as rather large cavern/rooms, which plays a key roll in how difficult this level is. One particular room is just mind-bogglingly large.

Level 8 (like Level 7) is going to be one full-sized poster map, in the same exact style and dimensions of the original box set maps. It looks like there will be 32 developed rooms and 14 areas of interest, for a total of 48 developed rooms/areas. More on this in another thread, coming in a moment. :wink:

Doirche

Post by Doirche »

Halaster Blackcloak wrote:
Then it's off to Doirche for conversion. :wink:
:shock:

Level seven is coming along nicely. It is over halfway completed and will look great hanging on a wall.

Back to Illustrator I go!
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

I just wrapped up writing 3 more rooms, and about to sit down and do a few more before retiring for bed. Another late night for me, but at least the room count is going up! :)

Jared Synn
Dungeon Delver
Dungeon Delver

Post by Jared Synn »

Yes! More rooms! More! More! :D

I can't wait for this to come out! I've been keeping an eye peeled for artists, and if I come across any I'll send them your way. :wink:
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Thanks Jared! Offer them my first born. :lol:

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Correction to my post from March 11th...

I just finished up the map today. After completing the single sized map the other day (when I posted on the 11th), I re-did it because we're decided to make Level 8 a double-sized map! So as of today, the double-sized map of Level 8 is done. We may make a few tweaks along the way, that's practically inevitable in most cases. But for all intents and purposes, the map is done. I'll be scanning it and sending it off to Doirche tomorrow (Sunday) to convert into its final format.

If you guys were impressed with Level 7, wait till you see Level 8! It's a stunner, trust me. And when Doirche works his magic on it, well...just get ready for a change of underwear, folks! :shock: :wink: :lol: