Looking for new monsters!

Public discussion of the extensive development of new levels in the Ruins of Undermountain.

Moderator: Thorn Blackstone

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Looking for new monsters!

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

Ok, I can use a hand with one aspect of Ruins of Undermountain III: The Deadly Levels. Arcturia has a nasty habit of experimenting on and tinkering with monsters, creating bizarre new variants and totally new creatures. I have some new ones and will probably use some from Halaster's Tome of Monsters, but I could use help thinking of new ones. It takes lots time to make new variants, and that slows down room development.

So does anyone want credits for creating new monsters or new variants of old ones? They'd have to be original if new (ie none from 3E or from other 2E sources), or new variants on traditional ones.

The idea is that Arcturia's level is especially dangerous because her tampering results in unexpected things like fire-proof trolls, 4-armed fomorian giants (with more attacks), monsters that were once non-poisonous and are now poisonous, etc.

So, let me know! Thanks!
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

Mira
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Mira »

Fire giant mummies are an obvious one, I used them long ago. Since fire giants are immune to fire, the normal tactic of fire vs mummies is ineffective, and mummies take half damage from everything else :D

One creature I had a LOT of fun with was something I made up myself, I called them fiends (they didn't have fiends out at that time) and had them kind of in between the demons and devils. They had a lot of varied skills (psionic in nature, nothing magical) and their one common ability was that they are completely immune to magic to the point that only non-magical weapons can damage them. It was fun watching a 1 hit die monster fend off a 10th level party for a while until someone that didn't have a magical weapon struck and killed it :D The nice thing about dealing with such critters from the bad guy's point of view is that you can freely throw spells into the melee without killing them off. (they were often accompanied by a mage of some type who had summoned them to this plane)

Yeah, I realize it might be pretty difficult to rationalize how that works, but the group really didn't worry about it at the time :)

Mira (Those who think they know it all upset those of us who do)
McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

New monsters for which levels again? BTW, can you do a quick review of what each abode level is in general (Triobrand's, Actura, etc). The more history I have of each apprentice (which I obviously need to recheck in all my undermountain stuff) will help me. I've got tons of unfinished monsters sitting in folders from a wide variety of inspirations (meh, that sentence is just bad). Also which apprentices are male/female? How many apprentices were there? What about the apprentices - apprentices(if any). What level were each and what did they look like again? Any history on each we should know?

From what I gather:

Triobrand (sp) mechanical genius
Actura ??? (gene splicing)
Halastar - well, you'd know being him. :wink:

I've even got crud for sublevels and levels not technically lairs of an apprentice if need be (farm levels, slime levels, dark sub levels, etc). Some are pretty bland at the moment and I may need to think of some ideas to make them unique. I also have a wide variety of Beholder/species I worked on. I'll retype and edit that document the best I can, too bad I only have corel and not msword. I worked out a nice series of tables for beholders of various ages (from lil babies) to big and nasty ones. I also was working on Gulguthra. You know, for the slime level you might want to read some of the Twilight Empire in the old dragon mags. I loved the fire slime and those ugly humanoids. I especially loved "Estel" the WTF ugly otyugh with a crytal eye.
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Mira wrote:
Fire giant mummies are an obvious one, I used them long ago. Since fire giants are immune to fire, the normal tactic of fire vs mummies is ineffective, and mummies take half damage from everything else
My players are gonna hate you, but I'll love you for this one! :wink: :lol:

That might actually fit in Undermountain! :twisted:
One creature I had a LOT of fun with was something I made up myself, I called them fiends (they didn't have fiends out at that time) and had them kind of in between the demons and devils. They had a lot of varied skills (psionic in nature, nothing magical) and their one common ability was that they are completely immune to magic to the point that only non-magical weapons can damage them. It was fun watching a 1 hit die monster fend off a 10th level party for a while until someone that didn't have a magical weapon struck and killed it The nice thing about dealing with such critters from the bad guy's point of view is that you can freely throw spells into the melee without killing them off. (they were often accompanied by a mage of some type who had summoned them to this plane)

Yeah, I realize it might be pretty difficult to rationalize how that works, but the group really didn't worry about it at the time Smile
LMAO! I think my players would be plotting my demise for that! :lol: Cool idea!

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

McDeath wrote:
New monsters for which levels again?
Mainly Level 7. I need to come up with more new monsters and with some more variants of classic monsters. Arcturia is always messing around with genetics.
BTW, can you do a quick review of what each abode level is in general (Triobrand's, Actura, etc). The more history I have of each apprentice (which I obviously need to recheck in all my undermountain stuff) will help me.
Not a problem.

Level 1
Level 2
Level 3 - Skullport

Level 4 - Farm Level

Level 5 - Muiral's Gauntlet
Level 6 - Trobriand's Graveyard
Level 7 - Arcturia's Abode

The Dark Levels - 14 sub-levels (includes Lost Level, Maddgoth's Level, Crystal Labyrinth/Stardock, Wyllowwood, Adventures)

Level 8 - Slime Level

Level 9 - Halaster's Lair

The Realms Below

I didn't assign the three apprentices a level in any particularly meaningful way. Technically, it might make more sense to have Trobriand's at Level 7 because he's the most powerful of the three (thus far detailed, at least :wink: ). RoUII screwed up because it obviously skipped the farm level and gave the next two major levels to Trobriand and Murial. So I figured just to make it less confusing, we'd keep those levels as assigned and just give Arcturia the next one down.

Other than that, this is the way it was laid out in RoU.
I've got tons of unfinished monsters sitting in folders from a wide variety of inspirations (meh, that sentence is just bad). Also which apprentices are male/female? How many apprentices were there? What about the apprentices - apprentices(if any). What level were each and what did they look like again? Any history on each we should know?
Trobriand is a male, as is Muiral, who is sorta like a drider with a scorpion's stinger/tail. Arcturia is female. Here are the stats and info on the apprentices. There were originally 7 of them that accompanied him to Undermountain. They are referred to as The Seven. This list shows their names, status (dead or alive, etc), original level, current level, etc:

Unknown - Dead
Jessiyra Kestellharp - Dead (W?, later the Magister)
Kalarus - Dead (sort of) (W13, hm)
Jannig Nar - (secret)
Trobriand - (W16 (now W18), NE, hm)
Arcturia - (W14 (now W16), CE, hf)
Muiral - (F9/W13 (now F9/W15), CE, hm) (originally Halaster's bodyguard as well)

I created Jannig Nar and Kalarus. Jessiyra Kestellharp was mentioned in RoU, as was Trobriand, Muiral, and Arcturia. The unknown (dead) one has not yet been written up. Kalarus is the other one who died when the apprentices first descended into Undermountain, killed by some of Halaster's guardians (the two died before Halaster called off the attacks). He's sort of still around though. :twisted: So maybe he'll turn up on Level 8 or a sub-level.

I don't know what level Jessirya was, but she's dead anyway (she died later, after becoming the Magister). As far as Jannig Nar goes, I am not saying anything about him as yet, but he's going to be special. :twisted: Obviously, he's male. But he's going to be a surprise of sorts. I'm giving Jannig Nar a special sub-level, and it will make sense when everything about him is revealed.

RoUII mentions two more recent apprentices (neither of them one of the originals, obviously). One is good. A good lich. :roll:

Nandel Greenward - (W13, CE, hf) (recent apprentice)
Ezzat - (W20, NG, hm, lich)(early apprentice, but not one of The Seven, now an enemy of Halaster)

I've even got crud for sublevels and levels not technically lairs of an apprentice if need be (farm levels, slime levels, dark sub levels, etc). Some are pretty bland at the moment and I may need to think of some ideas to make them unique. I also have a wide variety of Beholder/species I worked on. I'll retype and edit that document the best I can, too bad I only have corel and not msword. I worked out a nice series of tables for beholders of various ages (from lil babies) to big and nasty ones. I also was working on Gulguthra. You know, for the slime level you might want to read some of the Twilight Empire in the old dragon mags. I loved the fire slime and those ugly humanoids. I especially loved "Estel" the WTF ugly otyugh with a crytal eye.
Whatever you can manage, I'd love to see! :wink:

Jared Synn
Dungeon Delver
Dungeon Delver

Post by Jared Synn »

I'll dig around and send you some ideas, Halaster. I should be able to dig up a couple of unique monsters at least.
Varl
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by Varl »

It's funny. I've been working on gathering as many original, new 3e creatures as I can find for the past, what, 8 years or so, in an effort to take those truly unique creature concepts and convert them for AD&D use. I don't know how ethical or legal it might be to do this publicly in a forum like this (especially since the vast majority of authors that created them are unknown or lost with time), but for home use, they're great.

I've compiled 5 full Word documents, each of 300+ pages each, of creature concepts for 3e. Mind you, this isn't the d20 trash creatures we all think of when we think of d20. It's truly unique creature concepts, that with a little work and conversion, could make interesting AD&D foes. I've tried to weed out as many ridiculous and/or munchkin creatures as I can.

Unfortunately, the acquisition of new creatures has exponentially outpaced my ability to convert them, even with the template I've created for converting them to an AD&D-like form. It's about time availability, really. Copy/paste will always be easier than editing. :wink:
Tired of clone MMOs? So are we!
http://trialsofascension.com/
McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

Varl wrote:It's funny. I've been working on gathering as many original, new 3e creatures as I can find for the past, what, 8 years or so, in an effort to take those truly unique creature concepts and convert them for AD&D use. I don't know how ethical or legal it might be to do this publicly in a forum like this (especially since the vast majority of authors that created them are unknown or lost with time), but for home use, they're great.

I've compiled 5 full Word documents, each of 300+ pages each, of creature concepts for 3e. Mind you, this isn't the d20 trash creatures we all think of when we think of d20. It's truly unique creature concepts, that with a little work and conversion, could make interesting AD&D foes. I've tried to weed out as many ridiculous and/or munchkin creatures as I can.

Unfortunately, the acquisition of new creatures has exponentially outpaced my ability to convert them, even with the template I've created for converting them to an AD&D-like form. It's about time availability, really. Copy/paste will always be easier than editing. :wink:
Which sources were you using as I'm curious? I've been contemplating on doing this for my own writing uses as well.

As to my monsters....well, after looking through a lot of them (made ages ago) I'm finding them not all that original. Most are just names, basic stats, no special abilities and no writeup. Very bland. Why is it memories of the past are always more grand than the real dirt? I've had the flu again so perhaps my judgement is clouded.

On a good note, I managed to organize all my Dragon Mags, Dungeon Mags and most of my modules. Now I can sort through some more of those manilla towers for something useful since I have more space.
Varl
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by Varl »

McDeath wrote:Which sources were you using as I'm curious? I've been contemplating on doing this for my own writing uses as well.
The Blacksway website, Wizards has its own monster forum, the myriad of user websites linked from many locations that have created new creatures, and just plain ole Google searches mainly.

I actually have about 13 Word documents each approximately 300 pages. I forgot a few older docs. :lol:
Tired of clone MMOs? So are we!
http://trialsofascension.com/
radwizard
Dungeon Delver
Dungeon Delver

Post by radwizard »

Varl wrote: I actually have about 13 Word documents each approximately 300 pages. I forgot a few older docs. :lol:
:!: HOLY CRAP!!! That is alot of monsters!!!! :!:
That which does not kill us, makes us stronger