Looking for PDF of old TSR product

Discussion of OOP 1st & 2nd Edition products and rules, ie TSR AD&D material.

Moderators: Thorn Blackstone, Halaster Blackcloak

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Looking for PDF of old TSR product

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

Does anyone here have a PDF copy of TSR 8422 Knight of the Living Dead? It's one of those solo Catacombs game books. It's mentioned on pg. 7 of the Campaign Guide to Undermountain from the original Ruins of Undermountain box set:

"Note that the giant construct that appears in Knight of the Living Dead lies far deeper than that which The Ruins of Undermountain boxed set details, almost a mile beneath Mount Waterdeep, in the upper levels of The Underdark and the Depths Below."

I need to know more about that. Much, much more. :twisted:
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

God I have searched and searched for that thing forever. PDF and non.... Its like the friggin Lost Ark in an Indiana Jones movie. I've seen it referenced and poured on to leads to no avail. I wish stupid WOTC/Hasbro would have put up all those pdfs of the books instead of just the dragonlance one (which is so.. BLARG!).

Best I can do atm is this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... dition=all

50$ sheesh... better be worth it.

That's one I'd definitely scan and spam pdfs everywhere. Its old and bullshit to scam others like ST1 Up the Garden path.

RPG NET
Demian's Gamebook Web Page
Museum of Computer Gaming History
Last edited by McDeath on Fri May 13, 2016 9:45 am, edited 4 times in total.
McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

So far like always just the bookmark

Tawnos76
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Tawnos76 »

Nothing on my end either. Have taken a look at a a few on the download sites and torrents but to no avail. I will ask around the next time I am at the game store if anyone has a copy that I can scan.
IXOYE
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

It's so damned hard to find some of these odd things, and WOTC doesn't help either. Greedy, lazy bastards. :evil:
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

Well, on a side note; I tried to get all the Spelljammer material. I even ordered the novels from a site. Turns out they didn't have book 1 or book 6. Irrevelant now since I don't have any of them since they are in Oregon. Really wanted to read that series.

If I hit the lottery there are some personal projects that I'll definitely be working on. And fleshing out a few pdfs would be high on the chain. And they'd be done right since I'd have the money for the equipment and good physical copies.

Come on! That book is going on 30 years old.
Beowulf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Beowulf »

I never read of any of the novels but I love the Spelljammer setting.
RIP E. Gary Gygax- The DM's DM!
McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

I bought it along with faerie queen of dragon mound andultimate helm novel today from amazon. Give it a bit and ill see what its about and try to scan.

It'll take at least a few weeks to arrive. I hear amazon delivers so hopefully im not screwed. I view online buying as sketchy. Id theft and that rot.
Beowulf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Beowulf »

Nice! I'm curious to see what you think of it when you get it.
RIP E. Gary Gygax- The DM's DM!
McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

Got it just now. I have to waita few hours and need to find/buy scanner. Damn photobucket. I cant 3rd part put up pics and my crummy phone is old so imgr or flickr dont work. Gah!! More suspense.

Heres hoping they are complete.

Just waiting on ultimate helm now.
McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

Well, i still havent copied it. My bro in law informed me of some new scanners. If i get into town ill look them up.

Basic synopsis:
Two liches are vying for power in waterdeep. They have used this magical gas that has put everyone into a deep sleep full of nightmares. Meanwhile, their legions of undead are looting the city for magical items but esp the broken STAFF OF WATERDEEP. You are a dead paladin that has awakened. You grabbed a weasel that was gnawing on your body and it died. It talks to you mentally being either your subconscious or something else. The lich that may have raised you doesnt realize you are not controlled by it. You reluctantly decide to find the staff. Btw, you have no memory of your past. Its different.
Mira
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Mira »

It almost sounds like the Death Knights in WoW (yes, I know, sacrilege!).

There's an anime and manga which has sort of a similar thing
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimgar_o ... sy_and_Ash
except there's no apparent 'bosses'. It is interesting seeing people trying to fit into a fantasy world and be adventurers when they don't have the skills :D

Mira (If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning)
McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

I am sure everyone knows about the scan and upload by now. Yep, that construct is pretty big and made of undead and more. For a CYOA with combat this isn't terrible. I was surprised. The weasel skull concious made me think 80s though like most those Endless quest books. Rewritten into a proper module with maps would probably be a short task.

I actually enjoyed the artists work for the most part. And while on the light end i don't understand this torture factor of humans just to wake them and then destroy the city. It must be a direct order from Orcus else i would consider it complete stupidity on the liches part. I mean the army of undead could kill all the living and swell the undead ranks even more, activate the artifact, destroy the city, and move on. I don't know if Halaster would br pleased as this would probably collapse part of UM, so i could see a very pissed off wizard who could easily be rid of the marital liches.

I need to quickly check copywrite dates and find the earliest mention of Halaster and UM. Pretty sure he knows.

The undead paladin is a special sort of undead. There are potential writeups here.

Might do faerie mound. Can't see myself getting the wand scanner soon so.... Flatbed again i guess. Won't have to do Gnomes. Not sure anyone is interested in the spy one.
McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

Oh, and happy thanksgiving. So close to my Nov 21 birthday (43... I feel older need more nitric oxide in me blood).

I bought Grid Cartographer 4 as a present to myself.
At the edge of madness, he will show no sadness
Never broken, he'll be back for more
Proven under fire, over trench and wire
No fear of death, he's unshakeable
Forged for the war, he's unbreakable