Monster check - does it exist?

Public discussion of the extensive development of new levels in the Ruins of Undermountain.

Moderator: Thorn Blackstone

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Monster check - does it exist?

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

Did TSR ever detail ice golems for 2E? I don't see them anywhere, but then I don't have all the stuff that was released. If they exist, can someone please send me the info? If not, I need to create them.
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

Varl
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by Varl »

I can't believe I missed this thread entirely. Ice Golems exist in d20 in Frostburn I found out, but I don't know if they exist already in 2e.
Tired of clone MMOs? So are we!
http://trialsofascension.com/
Algolei
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Algolei »

Hmm, apparently it never made it into print! There's an ice golem described in Dragon #44 (for 1E), Dragon #317 (for 3.5E), and Dungeon #87 (for 3E).

MC Annual #3 had a complete index up to that point, and there's no Ice Golem on it yet.

Nope, can't find nothing in any of the online indexes I know of.
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Perfect! Then I can create one for 2E! :)

Algolei, do you have the info from Dragon #44? I want to make sure it's not a re-make of the 1E monster.

Mira
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Mira »

All I could find was a list of golems for NWN (CRPG) and a write up that someone else had done. The NWN version makes them stronger than Iron Golems(!), while the other writeup makes them fairly weak, but annoying.

--------------------------------------------
Flesh Golem: Pinkish, small, 40hp, 2000xp. Requires +1 to hit. Level 9. 100% magic resistance. 100% resistance to cold (but not magic cold) damage. 125% resistance to electricity damage (will regenerate).

Stone Golem: Brownish, small, 60hp, 8000xp. Requires +2 to hit. Level 14. 100% magic resistance. Casts "Slow".

Clay Golem: Brownish, small, 50hp, 8000xp. Requires +1 to hit. Level 9. 100% resistance to all forms of physical damage except crushing damage. 100% magic resistance. 100% resistance to Cold (but not magic cold) and Electricity damage. 50% resistance to fire damage. Casts "Haste".

Magic Golem: Purple (Fire Elemental shape), small, 64hp, 8000xp. Requires normal weapon to hit, immune to magical weapons. Level 10. 100% magic resistance. 100% resistance to all elemental damage. Immune to spell levels 1-9.

Ice Golem: Blue, large, 92hp, 13000xp. Not sure what is needed to hit, but probably +3 (it should not be an issue by the time you meet this kind of golem). Level 20. 20% resistance to all forms of physical damage. 100% resistance to all elemental damage except fire damage. No magic or fire resistance, however will cast spell "Scalding Steam" which automatically targets a character which does fire damage to it with a fireball-like spell.

Iron Golem: Greyish, large, 80hp, 13000xp. Requires +3 to hit. Level 18. 20% resistance to all forms of physical damage. 100% magic resistance. 100% resistance to all elemental damage except fire damage. 125% resistance to fire damage (will regenerate). Casts poison "Gas Cloud".

Adamantite Golem: Greyish, large, 80hp, 25000xp. Requires +3 to hit. Level 18. 90% resistance to all forms of physical damage. 100% magic resistance. 100% resistance to all elemental damage except fire. 125% resistance to fire damage (will regenerate). Casts poison "Gas Cloud".

Bone Golem -
You'll need a +1 weapon to hit them.

Brain Golem -
You'll need a +2 weapon to hit 'em. And they have 100% resistance, not 25% (to physical damage, except crushing).

-----------------------------------------------------
Ice Golem

No. app.: 1
Int: 15
Size: 10'
MR: 14/25(flowing)

HD: 10
Thaco: 7
Dmg: 2d6+9/2d6+9
Morale: 19
SD: Melts into water and is immune to attacks
SA: Surprise
MR:30%
XP:still to be calculated......

This golem is one of the rarer types of golems, for it has to be kept in a cold environment. It cannot survive outside artic conditions for more than a day. One of its special defenses is the fact that it can change into water at will and flow at a MR of 25 over all terrains, up walls and even on ceilings. While in this form it is only susceptible to damage from spells since not even a sword of sharpness can affect it. While in ice form it is totally immune to cold based damage and any fire based spell merely causes it to melt and suffer 1/6 of the damage. It can refreeze at will once melted, but will generally pretend to be just a puddle on the floor and refreeze once the adventurers have passed and will attack from behind.

The ice golem also has a 30% magic resistance to all types of magic and attacks with its two fists for 2d6+9points of damage each.

Mira (It is hard to understand how a cemetery raised its burial costs and blamed it on the high cost of living)
Hegel
Dungeon Delver
Dungeon Delver

Post by Hegel »

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Thanks Hegel!

BTW, the link in your post didn't work, and the forum software is finicky about URLs, so I just loaded it onto Undermountain.org and changed the link so it shows. :wink:

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Mira, do you know whether that last write up was a 2E submission somewhere?

Mira
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Mira »

My guess it was just the author's write up, not copied from somewhere. I found it on a site with some miscellaneous stuff from a game he was running. (turned up through a dogpile search)

Mira (I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it)
Hegel
Dungeon Delver
Dungeon Delver

Post by Hegel »

Halaster Blackcloak wrote:Thanks Hegel!

BTW, the link in your post didn't work, and the forum software is finicky about URLs, so I just loaded it onto Undermountain.org and changed the link so it shows. :wink:
I tried to post the picture three times! Thanks for fixing it.
Algolei
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Algolei »

Hegel wrote:Image
Your copy is better than mine. :wink:

I would have ended up copying/pasting it into a post, like this:
An Ice Golem can be created by a Magic-User of at least 16th level, or by any Magic-User with the necessary instructions. For every level of the M-U’s experience below 10th, there is a 10% cumulative chance that the golem will melt upon completion (see Dungeon Masters Guide, Manual of Golems). The Magic-User must have access to a large quantity of ice, or be able to cast at least one of the following spells: Ice Storm, Wall of Ice, or Otiluke’s Freezing Sphere. The M-U must then form a man-shaped statue from the ice. To bring the golem to life, the M-U must employ these spells: Wish, Polymorph Any Object, Geas, and Strength. He must also pour a Potion of Fire Resistance over the golem. The cost of all other materials needed is 1,200 gold pieces per hit point, or a total of 75,000 gp if the M-U is using a Manual of Golems. It requires 2 months to construct an Ice Golem.

An Ice Golem can only understand very simple commands, such as “walk”, “attack”, “stop”, “guard this room”, etc. There is a base chance of 25%, minus 1% for every level the M-U has obtained, that the golem will go berserk at any command. If it does go berserk, it will immediately attack its creator.

An Ice Golem can do 1 point of structural damage to wooden constructions every 3 melee rounds due to its strength, or 1 point of structural damage to stone constructions every 2 melee rounds due to freezing. If an Ice Golem scores an 18 or better on its “to hit” dice, it has pulled its opponent toward itself with a hug. This will do 5-30 points of damage each round the hug is sustained. If the victim is not a cold-using/dwelling creature, the golem will inflict an additional 1-6 points of damage due to cold.

Weapons must be at least +2 to hit an Ice Golem, with Flaming Swords the only exception. Attacks by fire will do 25% damage against this creature, and if there is a sufficient amount of fire, i.e. a Fireball, the golem will also be slowed in movement by 50% for 1-8 melee rounds. Attacks by cold will restore damage to the golem at the rate of 1 hit point for every 2 hit points that would normally be inflicted. No other magic will affect the golem, save the spells Time Stop and Wish. Attackers must be very careful with an Ice Golem, as any hit with a hand-held weapon is 25% likely to send shards of ice flying in a five-foot radius, doing 1-4 points of damage to any unprotected creature (less than armor class 4).

Finally, an Ice Golem must be replenished every month with an Ice storm, Wand of Cold, etc., unless it is kept in a cold region. Failure to do this will result in the golem losing 1-8 hit points permanently for every day the replenishment is overdue.
(I notice part of the article has typed over itself, where it talks about the spells Geas and Strength. It also failed to italicise the spells in that section.)
McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

There are a few other versions of ice golems I think I might be able to dig up. One was for Thunder Rift and another was done by a 1st edition fanatic that I can't remember the name yet.

EDIT-----
The first one turned out to be a water golem by David C Lovelace. So I messed up on that thought. The Ice Golem I did find was in the Thunder Rift Adventure: Quest for the Silver Sword. Here are its stats:

Golem, Ice
Armor Class: 3
Hit Dice: 3
Move: 60' (20')
Attacks: 1
Damage: 1d8
No. Appearing: 1
Save As: Fighter 3
Morale: 12 (Fearless)
Treasure Type: Nil
Alignment: Neutral
XP Value: 50

An ice golem is a magically animated statue carved from a block of ice. Anyone hit by the ice golem must make a saving throw vs. paralysis or his Dexterity will be reduced by 1 point due to the shivering and trembling that sweeps through his body. Each failed save results in an additional Dexterity reduction. The only way to reverse this effect is with a resist cold spell. Each such spell restores 1 lost point of Dexterity. Only magic of this nature can restore the lost points ---- time does nothing.

Another interesting monster from that adventure was the White Widow Spider (no pic sorry).

Spider, White Widow
Armor Class: 6
Hit Dice: 3
Move: 120'(40')
Attacks: 1
Damage: 2d4 + Cryotoxin
No. Appearing: 1
Save As: Fighter 3
Morale: 10
Treasure Type: B
Alignment: Neutral
XP Value: 65

The white widow is a horrible spider that lives in arctic and alpine regions of the world. The white widows web is designed to whistle in the wind; anyone who hears the websong must save vs. spells or be lulled into a state of lethargy. In this state a character moves at half spead and strikes with a -2 on attack rolls. The web is fragile, however, and any attack upon it that hits will shatter the web and free those who have fallen under its spell. The web is AC9.

Anyone bitten by the white widow must make a saving throw vs. poison or be instantly frozen solid. Frozen characters are still alive, however, though they might easily be mistaken for dead. The white widow keeps frozen prey around and thaws it out when she is hungry.

That's all I have.
At the edge of madness, he will show no sadness
Never broken, he'll be back for more
Proven under fire, over trench and wire
No fear of death, he's unshakeable
Forged for the war, he's unbreakable