Sad news - Gary Gygax dead at age 69.

The Vault of BIP...for old outdated message threads. Searchable, and you can post replies if you like.

Moderators: Thorn Blackstone, Halaster Blackcloak

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Sad news - Gary Gygax dead at age 69.

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

Well, this is certainly an awful post to have to make. Gary Gygax died this morning. Here's a link:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080304/ap_en_ot/obit_gygax

Sad news indeed for the entire gaming community,which would not even exist without Gary. I can feel tears welling up, and the world sure feels a lot emptier now. :cry:

On behalf of the Back In Print Project, I'd like to wish Gary's family and friends our deepest condolences.
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

Varl
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by Varl »

I always knew this day would come. I just had no idea it would come this soon. Godspeed Gary. You will be missed, and thank you for your gift to gamers and the world.
Tired of clone MMOs? So are we!
http://trialsofascension.com/
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Ron Kuntz also got really, really sick recently and was wiped out with exhaustion. That cuts it. I just ordered a bottle the finest vitamins you can buy in the entire world (I'm in the field of clinical nutrition, so I can say this with confidence). I'm sending them to Rob and he's going to take them if I have to drive out there and cram them down his throat! :wink:

It's just too easy to get so caught up in work and life that we tend to neglect taking care of our health.

Beowulf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Beowulf »

Yes, the world seems somehow emptier and less magical without Gary in it. My heartfelt condolences to his family and friends. EGG will live on in the memories of those of us who play his game.
Beowulf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Beowulf »

Halaster Blackcloak wrote:Ron Kuntz also got really, really sick recently and was wiped out with exhaustion. That cuts it. I just ordered a bottle the finest vitamins you can buy in the entire world (I'm in the field of clinical nutrition, so I can say this with confidence). I'm sending them to Rob and he's going to take them if I have to drive out there and cram them down his throat! :wink:

It's just too easy to get so caught up in work and life that we tend to neglect taking care of our health.
Get a bottle for Frank Metzner, too! :P
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

And Frank works in a bakery, of all places! All that bleached white wheat screwing up his insulin and god knows what else. :shock:

It's very hard to tend to health these days. Even the health food stores suck. I'm in a perpetual war with Whole Foods Market because they put so much shit into their so-called "health" stores.

And a bottle for Zeb Cook, and one for Len Lakofka, and...

Wow! I better open a store! :D

The sad thing is that it takes far more than popping a vitamin to tend to health, but even so, better to take them for a month or so and build up some amount of health, than to not.

Minstrel
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Minstrel »

Very sad to hear this too. I kept entertaining the idea in the back of my head of trying to attend his annual GenCon alternative (can't remember the name). It sounded like those that went had a hell of a time. Who wouldn't love to say you actually played a game on the porch with the guy that invented your favorite hobby?
Mira
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Mira »

A lot of the webcomic artists made tributes to him, he definitely had quite an impact to people in all walks of life! Some solemn, some with more humor that I think he'd have liked. Like a comment about him rolling in his grave with a picture of a d20 near it :)

Mira (Laughter is the best medicine, but in certain situations the Heimlich maneuver may be more appropriate)
Zherbus
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Zherbus »

I'm glad to have had the minimal interactions with him that I did. It was good feeling knowing he was still out there fighting the good fight. It's sad, but I feared this was coming soon. God speed, Gary.
Thorn Blackstone
Ally of the Mad Mage
Ally of the Mad Mage

Post by Thorn Blackstone »

Testing announcement icon.
"In the name of the Kagonesti Nation, suffer the terrible wrath of the Blackshard!"