New main site up and running!

The Vault of BIP...for old outdated message threads. Searchable, and you can post replies if you like.

Moderators: Thorn Blackstone, Halaster Blackcloak

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

New main site up and running!

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

Well, let me give a very mighty "thank you" to Mira, who did the HTML and got our main site up and running! Thanks Mira! :D

Here's the link:

http://www.undermountain.org/bip.html

I still have to set up the downloads page and the FAQ and all that. Or rather, I'll have to ask Mira how to do that! :wink: :)

But, mark your links, that's the new official address of the BIP Project! :D

PS - Do you all think it looks ok even though we have to scroll up and down? Or should I shrink all the images so that the entire page fits the browser without scrolling?
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

Mira
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Mira »

The page size is designed for 800x600. I would think very few would be scrolling :)

My screen is huge, that looks small on it.

Mira (If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to see it, do the other trees make fun of it?)
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Mira, do you have to scroll up and down to see it all? I have my monitor set at 800 x 600 and it's a 17" monitor, but I still have to scroll up and down to see it all. Weird.

Mira
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Mira »

No scrolling at all for me. but as I said, I have a huge screen :) (1680x1050)

Still, the smallest screen we have on any of our computers is 1024x768, only those of you with really old computers run at 800x600 :)

Yes, there probably would be a little scrolling for 800x600, but all the links should be available without scrolling?

Mira (If you can read the marking, isn't that end already up?)
Unther
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by Unther »

I'm with Mira on this one...

Making it work without scrolling on a 800x600 display is going to make it look VERY small on anyone with a halfway recent computer. :D
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

It's only minor up-and-down scrolling to see the entire page, but I agree. Doing it smaller would look too small, even on 800x600 fields. I think.

As long as there's no horizontal scrolling, I don't mind.

Mira wrote:
only those of you with really old computers run at 800x600
(Raises hand) That would be me! :wink:

Still running the "museum piece" at 333 MHz processor, 8 GB hard drive, and 224 MB RAM. Yes, you heard correctly. :cry:

Every time I plan on upgrading, something major comes up. Hopefully for Xmas. Hopefully. :roll: [/i]

Unther
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by Unther »

Halaster Blackcloak wrote:It's only minor up-and-down scrolling to see the entire page, but I agree. Doing it smaller would look too small, even on 800x600 fields. I think.

As long as there's no horizontal scrolling, I don't mind.
That last is the most important. Horizontal scrolling is evil in web-pages...

Which is why many web-pages are 720px wide.
Mira
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Mira »

I'd like to suggest you use the JPG version of the center picture though (I included one in the zip) for faster loading, it's about 1/10th of the size of the BMP that's being used now :)

Mira (If the #2 pencil is the most popular, why's it still #2?)
Unther
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by Unther »

Could the whole page be centered as well? It looks kinda miserable hugging the side of the window the way it does...
Mira
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Mira »

I'm not sure if I could figure out the centering very easily, I only managed to get the pics where they are by using specific pixel placement. I'd have to figure out someother way of placing them in order to center it and I'm not an HTML expert :)

There might be some relative vs absolute clauses one can use, or if I could wrap that whole thing in some kind of container that can be centered that would work. Maybe someone has a suggestion on how that could work?

Mira (Success is the art of making your mistakes when nobody's looking)
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Got me when it comes to centering HTML. :(

I think it's ok for now, not sure what else we can tweak. Unther, which part is hugging the window? Not sure what you mean.

Mira, I tried converting the BMP to JPG, but no matter how I do it, it looks far less detailed and clear than the BMP. I figured it's only 469kb, not bad even by dial up.

Mira
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Mira »

ok, I'll take your word as far as visuals. my eyes are not that good any more, I couldn't tell the difference from the JPG and BMP files when I looked at them. Same reason I had to give up painting minis, I just can't see things that well anymore :(

Centering normal stuff is fairly easy, but when you're trying to center a group of objects and preserve the relative positioning of said objects with each other, it's less so.

Mira (If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning)
Unther
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by Unther »

Well, I'm supposed to be learning HTML + associate stuff. If it won't cause offence, I can have a look at this as a mini-project...
Mira
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Mira »

Have at it, I waited a couple of days when the call went out hoping someone else would do it before I stepped up :) I know I'm not that good at it, I just have Dreamweaver to help get it working :)

Mira (Never put off till tomorrow what you can avoid all together)
LeSong
Dungeon Delver
Dungeon Delver

html?

Post by LeSong »

I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night :lol:

Seriously, it is coming together nicely.
Unther
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by Unther »

I have a version of the page where it is centered (at least it is in Firefox which is the only browser I have handy). I have also converted the .bmp to .jpg. What should I do with it?
Mira
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Mira »

Hopefully Halaster will PM you with his email so you can send it to him. I could send it to him if he doesn't get to you in a day or two, but I think he gives out his email to very few people so I can't presume to give you the email myself.

Odds are that if it works in Firefox it'll work in the inferior browsers too! ;)

Mira (The only time the world beats a path to your door is if you're in the bathroom)
Unther
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by Unther »

IE7 needs to be checked. It is possible that there will be issues, as the trick I'm using is documented as not working in IE7 (though there is a work around based on exploiting a different broken feature of IE7). I just can't test easily due to lack of an IE7 box.
Mira
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Mira »

I can't help you there, not having IE7 either. Not sure if my husband's system has it or not, he's got the only remaining Windows box in the house :)

Mira (Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how it remains so popular?)
LeSong
Dungeon Delver
Dungeon Delver

IE7

Post by LeSong »

I have Vista/IE7 on a laptop what specifically can I help with.
Rhuvein
Dungeon Delver
Dungeon Delver

Post by Rhuvein »

On my XP box with a 19" monitor set at 1024X768, I have to scroll a bit, but it's not a problem. And on my vista box with a widescreen monitor set at some higher res, no scrolling.

Either way the page looks great. :)
Count Rhuveinus - Lejend Master of the Dungeon and Keeper of Castle Frankfort

By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes: - William Shakespeare
Unther
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by Unther »

LeSong, does http://robbieab.com/bip/bip.html have the page centered in the window in IE7?

It works in Firefox, but I don't have any non-gecko browsers handy to test...
Mira
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Mira »

It works in Safari too. Not that I use it, but I did try it.

Mira (There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those that know binary and those that don't)
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Yikes! I didn't even realize we had some new posts here! :)

Unther, I just PM'd you my email address, so try sending the new pic there. So how is the site looking now? Is it working for everyone?

Unther, that link you posted times out. Hmmm.

Unther
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by Unther »

Yeah, I know, my ISP is playing silly wotsits with the connection. Partly, I suspect, because they weren't actually being payed... :o

I'll email you the new site code, + the jpg picture.