New AD&D Edition for BIP Project?

The Vault of BIP...for old outdated message threads. Searchable, and you can post replies if you like.

Moderators: Thorn Blackstone, Halaster Blackcloak

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

New AD&D Edition for BIP Project?

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

I had an idea. At this point it's nothing more than a measure of general interest, since we're so busy with Undermountain and everything. But what do you all think about the BIP Project creating a new edition based on the best aspects of both 1E and 2E? Lots of us play a hybrid of the two anyway. So I thought it might be nice to use that to create our own "3rd Edition" so to speak. It'd be a 3rd Edition of AD&D, not a 3E crap product. We would call it something else, maybe "AD&D Classic Edition" or "AD&D Vintage Edition" or something.

I just thought it might be a fun project in that we could fix everything that needed tweaking for each edition and form the ultimate AD&D edition.

Well? Thoughts? :)
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

Sangalor
Denizen of the Underhalls

Re: New AD&D Edition for BIP Project?

Post by Sangalor »

Halaster Blackcloak wrote:I had an idea. At this point it's nothing more than a measure of general interest, since we're so busy with Undermountain and everything. But what do you all think about the BIP Project creating a new edition based on the best aspects of both 1E and 2E? Lots of us play a hybrid of the two anyway. So I thought it might be nice to use that to create our own "3rd Edition" so to speak. It'd be a 3rd Edition of AD&D, not a 3E crap product. We would call it something else, maybe "AD&D Classic Edition" or "AD&D Vintage Edition" or something.

I just thought it might be a fun project in that we could fix everything that needed tweaking for each edition and form the ultimate AD&D edition.

Well? Thoughts? :)
Hal - I think your a glutton for punishment! :)

Your setting yourself up for a major task if you decide to go ahead with this idea.
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Yeah, it'd be a lot to bite off. But not as much as it appears. Most of the work is done. It'd just be a matter of integrating the two, tweaking a couple of mechanics, and combining info.

Sangalor

Post by Sangalor »

Halaster Blackcloak wrote:Yeah, it'd be a lot to bite off. But not as much as it appears. Most of the work is done. It'd just be a matter of integrating the two, tweaking a couple of mechanics, and combining info.
I think the integration bit with the opposing schools of thought/ideas would be the major issue. You'd need to find a way to explain why you adopt 1 idea over another that satisfies all parties.
Zherbus
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Zherbus »

But why? Is the ultimate goal an OSRIC thing where people can make releases for sale off of a regurgitated gaming system? Or is it to compile everything, add a few cool rules, and make a true blend, sort of like a mythical AD&D 1.5e?

If it's the first reason, every reservation I had for OSRIC and the actual disuse of the system compared to what I'd hoped is the first reason to say no. The fact that OSRIC exists adds complication. And finally, I don't think I could bear to see anything I'd work on so hard go to disuse.

If it's the second reason, then it'd be cool to do for sure. However, we'd end up with so many house rule, idea-branched, optional stuff that we'd be better off just writing a supplement, like I had suggested to take the place of the Illusionists Handbook. It'd full of optional rules, extra stuff, and some new class/spells/monsters/items while using the officially released 1e and 2e stuff as a base.
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Zherbus, it'd definitely be the latter. I agree about the OSRIC nonsense. However, unlike that crowd, I lack an inflated ego. I know I'm better than them! :wink: :lol: So I wouldn't go into this thinking it was the Second Coming and that the OOP community would elevate me to godly status like the OSRIC crowd erroneously expected. Nor would I care to make $3.27 profit off it like they did. :lol:

I just thought it'd be cool to have a set of rules, an actual "edition" that combined everything we wanted from both 1E and 2E. I hate having to check 4-5 books when looking for a rule check or having to reference something while writing a game because I can't remember which edition the rule is in.

Varl
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by Varl »

Instead of a whole new (old?) edition, seeing how I've grown very weary of editions, I wouldn't mind seeing an entire website created for house rules where people could post their personal house rules for all to share. A forum for every major topic in AD&D, and even subfora for those topics too large for just one board. One could even have a basic format under which to submit rules.

It'd be like our own OOP database. Imagine the possibilities of everyone sharing their own twists on how to run things. Take it, leave it, copy-paste it. The rules are all free. This would also keep the WotC wolves off of us for having the balls to create a (technically) illegal edition of the game. I don't have one molecule of interest in jumping through legal hoops that might transpire from Wizards of the Fucking Coast inevitable cease-and-desist letter once they learn of our superior project to create AD&D3 (and it would be superior to what they've regurgitated).
Tired of clone MMOs? So are we!
http://trialsofascension.com/
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

:lol:

Tell us how you really feel about WOTC, Varl! :lol: :wink:

You know, that might be an even better idea. I mean, honestly, I don't see having the time (or energy!) to do a project like this. I just wondered if people felt the same way. I'd love to have a printed, bound, 1E/2E Hybrid Edition DMG and PHB.

But I like your forum idea. That might be the best idea yet for this stuff.

Minstrel
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Minstrel »

A house rules compilation, well categorized, would be awesome.
Varl
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by Varl »

Check out my homepage, which unfortunately due to time constraints, needs to be updated and added to badly.

http://www.varl.org/index.php/gems_jewels/

This is similar to what I was thinking. I set this part of my site up (with a friend's help) for me to be able to post online my house rules and as a security blanket against disasters as well. As you can see, however, I've not been able to add much to it. I hope to soon, but this should give you an idea on what I was thinking in regards to an AD&D database only using a forum format.
Tired of clone MMOs? So are we!
http://trialsofascension.com/
Hegel
Dungeon Delver
Dungeon Delver

Post by Hegel »

If there was such a project I would like to work on it very much!
Zherbus
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Zherbus »

Minstrel wrote:A house rules compilation, well categorized, would be awesome.
A Rules Cyclopedia, of sorts.
Algolei
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Algolei »

Zherbus wrote:
A Houserules Cyclopedia.

That's something we could all post about. Fer instance, I'd like to hear about houseruled Proficiencies systems. I kinda like the more complicated variety presented in Skills & Powers (I think it was in there, anyway).
McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

Algolei wrote:
Zherbus wrote:
A Houserules Cyclopedia.

That's something we could all post about. Fer instance, I'd like to hear about houseruled Proficiencies systems. I kinda like the more complicated variety presented in Skills & Powers (I think it was in there, anyway).
I rather like the name "House Rules Cyclopedia." I know it has been mentioned before about setting up a wiki like thing here also.
At the edge of madness, he will show no sadness
Never broken, he'll be back for more
Proven under fire, over trench and wire
No fear of death, he's unshakeable
Forged for the war, he's unbreakable
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

A House Rules Cyclopedia on either the forum or perhaps even a wiki link might work!

Minstrel
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Minstrel »

I just set up a wiki over at orcforge at www.orcforge.net forward slash collaborate (not written out to keep the spambots away). I was planning to use it for a mini dungeon at first, but it's really there for any collaborative projects that come my way. If you're interested in making a section for a house rules cyclopedia, you're more than welcome to - it's open for public editing indefinitely unless spam becomes an issue.

No pressure to use that as your host - just offering if it would save the trouble of setting up one.
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Perfect! Thanks Minstrel! :wink:

So, who's going to sorta oversee the project?

Minstrel
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Minstrel »

I've put up a HouseRules Cyclopedia entry on the wiki and started an initial page with some thoughts on what categories (think of them as chapters if we make a PDF publication) should be included. There's a discussion page to talk about the subject - feel free to put in a link back to this thread too if desired.

http://www.orcforge.net slash collaborate slash HouseRules_Cyclopedia

For those unfamiliar with wikis, anyone going to the page has total control to edit and change the content. Feel free to do so, a log of all changes is kept and we can always revert back to an older revision or discuss stuff after.

Unlike the main page/forum, OrcForge logins unfortunately won't work there, you'll have to create a separate account on the wiki or edit anonymously.

As for overseeing the project, I don't mind heading it up in the sense of guiding and moderating, but I can't commit my time and feel good about following through as far as cracking the whip to get contributors on there or contributing a ton of material myself (although Zherbus has a doc with all our house rules on it that I or he could paste up to get things started).