People stealing BIP maps

News about the website itself, announcements, etc.

Moderators: Thorn Blackstone, Halaster Blackcloak

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

People stealing BIP maps

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

I'm here searching images and links to mega-dungeons while researching a post I was going to make, when I came across this interesting tidbit:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-deepest-wei ... 1568767965

See that Undermountain map? That's a section of Level 7 from the BIP Project, just rotated 90 degrees counter clockwise. No idea why this guy used my map instead of one of the originals, or rotated it, but I had to send a cease and desist letter. WTF? Is is so hard for people to ask permission? Seems bizarre to me, why he'd use mine in the first place while talking about the original. At least give credit where credit is due!
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

I keep what copies you gave me under lock and key. I’d have to check the cartographer guild and shit to see if it was leaked there first. The last thing I want is seeing WOTC/HASBRO or those in league profiting.

If people want to build a map with similar graphic set then build a toolset and start drawing. I will eventually have to do that when I attempt to redraw the originals with ms paint or something. Only thing that would be different is an addition of x,y coordinates.

I hope people aren’t taking credit for these. Posting them is annoying. I’ve found that google, bing, and the net period scavenges images from everywhere (including hidden blogs). They then appear on image searches. It’s a shit thing when private locked forums basically can be searched & stripped and displayed via the bot engines. I’ve heard they can invade emails as well.

Seems the article is an overview of many popular dungeons. I’ll do a image search and see what pops up. Pinterest and reddit might be leaks too.
At the edge of madness, he will show no sadness
Never broken, he'll be back for more
Proven under fire, over trench and wire
No fear of death, he's unshakeable
Forged for the war, he's unbreakable
McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

I didn’t find much this far. So many maps I got distracted. Bing, Pinterest, Reddit ain’t showing me anything or I’m using the wrong words.
Beowulf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Beowulf »

Weird! But oddly flattering in a way.
RIP E. Gary Gygax- The DM's DM!
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

We had Doirche post the Level 7 map over at Cartographer's Guild, and I posted the Level 7 map here and at DF as well. But with copyright noted on it. So it's ok for it to be out there, but if they want to use it they first have to ask permission and give credit, not steal it.
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!