Major phpBB update attempt

News about the website itself, announcements, etc.

Moderators: Thorn Blackstone, Halaster Blackcloak

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Major phpBB update attempt

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

Just so you all know, I'm going to try upgrading the software for the site. If by some chance something goes wrong, I have the back-ups done. But if the site appears down, it will be back up again shortly. Just trying to get this back up and running. Wish me luck!
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Ok, maybe not. The tech support people at my ISP (Hostmonster) are useless assholes who act like they've never heard of a discussion forum in their tech support careers.

Mira, aren't you the tech expert? Is there a way you can talk me through a new install? There's a problem in the admin panel that i cannot find a way around and I cannot enable new sign ups.

McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

Generation Z has no idea what forums are.
At the edge of madness, he will show no sadness
Never broken, he'll be back for more
Proven under fire, over trench and wire
No fear of death, he's unshakeable
Forged for the war, he's unbreakable
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Or anything else for that matter. Most of the tech support people I deal with these days are telemarketer monkeys who simply Google the answer and hope they get it right. And I mean that literally, because they tell me so themselves. They literally Google the answer. No real skills for shit. Sad, huh? :roll:

God I loathe incompetence! :evil:

Beowulf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Beowulf »

Did it work? :)
RIP E. Gary Gygax- The DM's DM!
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Ok, some good news. Sorta. I have the infrastructure in place for the new forum update. Here's where it stands for now:

http://www.undermountain.org/Forum3/phpBB3/

Now people can sign up, etc. The problem is..well, there are a few problems.

First, I need to figure out how to import all the posts from this current forum over there. PhpBB has made upgrading incredibly fucking difficult, per the idiots they are. There's no excuse for them to make it this difficult. It should update like Android.

The other issue, more a personal one, is that there aren't many cool themes/styles for the new version. Certainly not the current one with the parchment and what not, which I think fits the topic matter and which we've all gotten so used to. We'll see about that. Right now, having the website functioning so I can sign up all the new people wanting to sign up is taking priority. We can tinker with the look later.

So, let me know what you all think. Oh, on the new site/forum, I didn't include the Member Custom Work forum since it only ever got 6 posts, but if you all want it, we can add it easily.

Finally, once the posts are transferred over, I need to then figure out how to change it so that the url that points to the new forum is changed to what the current, proper one is, which is undermountain.org/forums. Lots of work ahead this week!

McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

I’ve always liked your theme here. It’s great. So many forums out there are pretty ugly and glaring.
At the edge of madness, he will show no sadness
Never broken, he'll be back for more
Proven under fire, over trench and wire
No fear of death, he's unshakeable
Forged for the war, he's unbreakable
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Yeah, I love this theme! I hope there's a way they can update it so we can still use it!

Mira
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Mira »

I'm no expert when it comes to websites or message boards. I can help with Java, C# and a few other languages, but those are back end things, not front end where people see them. I used to be pretty good at troubleshooting Windows issues, but because I spent so much time doing that, I switched to macOS and only occasionally have to deal with Windows in a VM. My Windows index in the VM is SO much higher than it was with the laptop they gave me that I sent that back.

Mira (If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you)