Tragic News - Doirche

News about the website itself, announcements, etc.

Moderators: Thorn Blackstone, Halaster Blackcloak

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Tragic News - Doirche

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

When I spoke with our new cartographer, he mentioned something about Doirche passing. I told him no, he just left the project under controversial circumstances. He told me he thought he'd seen something about Doirche posted on the Cartographer's Guild forum so I went to look and then did some searching to verify it.

Apparently, Doirche took his own life tragically back in September of 2013. I had no clue about this as I rarely ever go to the Cartographer's Guild website. But it is verified and true.

For a long time there were some bad feelings between Doirche and me. He had disappeared and then popped back up now and then, promising to send me updated copies of the maps,but never did. I wasn't sure if he was making excuses or not. Having been fucked over so many times by so many people, I just assumed that was the case. I tend to not want to hear excuses. He in turn seemed to worry that if he sent me the maps I would not credit him even though I said I would.

But apparently a lot more was going on with Doirche. He had lost his wife, his home, and his job. I'm sure a lot of other issues were going on. The last time I spoke with him he seemed very different. I couldn't put my finger on it but something was very, very wrong. That much I could tell, in the tone and pace of his voice and in his words and how he behaved. I decided to wait and see and hope whatever was going on worked out, as he assured me things were ok and he wanted to be back on the project. I had invited him back to work on RoUIII and he seemed happy and excited about it. I told him that whatever happened in the past, shit happens and I always give a person a second chance. I thought things would be fine. We spoke like old friends and everything seemed as if it would move forward. I sent him some info about the maps and he never got back to me. Soon he cut off communication. That would have been shortly before he took his life.

So, a very tragic piece of news I regret having to bring to you all. Doirche was very dedicated to the BIP Project and put his heart into the mapping. He put in an unbelievable amount of work on those maps. I can't imagine what was wrong, but I am working on getting in touch with his mother to speak with her about it. I knew he was troubled when last I spoke with him, and I assured him that he was welcome here and that it would be great to have him back on the team after a long absence. That seemed to cheer him up. We spoke about our plans to meet in person and present an actual box set of Ruins of Undermountain III: The Deadly Levels to Ed Greenwood at a convention.

I hope that in the end he at least felt somewhat better about being considered a founding member of the project and knowing that even if he dropped back off we would credit him as the original cartographer. Hopefully that relieved his suffering at least somewhat.

This is truly a dark and depressing moment in the long history of the BIP Project. It's disturbing enough that I almost feel like shutting the whole goddamned thing down. We've had members lose jobs, suffer nasty injuries, and endure illnesses (some pretty serious). But never anything of this level. I just don't know what to say. I want to write a better tribute but I just too upset now and I can't fucking type. It's just so sad that someone so talented and young took his own life at such a young age ( 38 ).

I know his family will probably appreciate a memorial for him, as they requested his posts remain at Cartographer's Guild. I'll work on that once I reach the family.

Despite the tragic news, I think Doirche would have wanted this project to see the light of day. So we are going to finish it, and I am going to present it to Ed Greenwood and I will on that day let Ed know just how special a member Doirche was to this project. I'm sure that would make him smile.

Well, that's it for now. I'll keep you all posted.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/gener ... oirche.htm

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/theadv ... =166873813
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

Beowulf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Beowulf »

Wow, that's really sad! It's always a shame to see something like this, no matter the age, but it's so tragic when it's someone so young. So much ahead of him. I'm so sorry for the pain his family must be going through right now.

Thanks for keeping us posted, Hal.
RIP E. Gary Gygax- The DM's DM!
Tawnos76
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Tawnos76 »

Very unfortunate. Prayers go out for the remaining family.

May the finished product be dedicated to his memory.
IXOYE