Tech support for computer error - Mira?

News about the website itself, announcements, etc.

Moderators: Thorn Blackstone, Halaster Blackcloak

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Tech support for computer error - Mira?

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

Ok, Mira may be the one who can answer this, but here's the problem. My stupid PC keeps shutting down. Sometimes it just freezes, and I mean freezes! Can't even power it off. The ONLY thing that works is to yank out the power cord, let it die, plug it back in and restart. Other times it just shuts off and restarts itself. I know I don't have a virus because I run Bitdefender 24/7. I've checked for spyware, malware, and everything else. I even bought RegCure Pro, which didn't do shit (gotta refund that!). I'm running Vista Home Premium on an HP Pavilion. Here's the error, always the same blue screen error:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 77
BCP1: 00000001
BCP2: FF343738
BCP3: 00000000
BCP4: B28926F8
OS Version: 6_0_6002
Service Pack: 2_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini081113-01.dmp
C:\Users\Nobody\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-281815-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\Nobody\AppData\Local\Temp\WERC503.tmp.version.txt

Can anyone tell me why this is happening? It will go days being fine, then suddenly for days it does this several times a day at least. Can't seem to pinpoint when this started, but it's gotten worse and it doesn't seem to be related to new programs as I rarely install anything. Is there a way to fix this?

This is why all my BIP work is now being done on a laptop, burned to disc, and printed as I go along so there's a hardcopy. I wouldn't trust this work on this damned PC for all the money in the world.
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

I also saved this error, same one but with more info:

Intel Matrix Storage Manager (iaStor.sys) has stopped working properly.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 8086
BCP1: 00000000
BCP2: 00000000
BCP3: 00000000
BCP4: 00000000
OS Version: 6_0_6002
Service Pack: 2_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini091113-02.dmp
C:\Users\Nobody\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-28905518-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\Nobody\AppData\Local\Temp\WER73F0.tmp.version.txt

Not sure what Intel Matrix Storage Manager is. Could my memory be going bad (on the computer, not in my head, lol!).
:wink:

Tarrax Ironwolf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Tarrax Ironwolf »

"We played Dungeons & Dragons for three hours! Then I was slain by an elf." -- Homer Simpson

Dragynn (My new AD&D gaming blog)
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Tried that. Updated, seemed ok for a few hours, computer seemed faster. Then it started again. :evil:

Mira
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Mira »

I stopped working on Windows systems a while ago, but my husband fixes them all the time. I could have him send a one time use jumpshot run (www.jumpshot.com). My own guess is that the drive might be going, have you run any diagnostics on it? How old is the drive?

jumpshot looks kind of silly with it's 'minions', but it is effective, Jon uses it for a brother-in-law who is constantly messing up his system and uses it on his own system. (I don't use Windows, so I don't use it myself :D )

Mira (Back up my hard drive? How do I put it in reverse?)
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Mira, how does that work? I'd be interested in trying anything at this point. Also, is there a way to find a serial number from a laptop via meta-data on files? Someone stole my laptop (luckily, all the BIP work was redundantly backed up) but I don't have a serial number for it.

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Those minions crack me up! I saw the website.

Mira, are you talking about an actual one time use, or just a free trial? I know a lot of free trial software finds errors but only fixes it if you purchase it. Might be worth a try, but I'm hesitant to pay for these things since they never seem to work (Reg Cure Pro, etc).

I've run all the diagnostics I can find, and everything keeps coming up ok. Got Bitdefender running constant virus scanning and have used it to run a deep scan, and nothing shows. I got the drive in Nov. of 2007. Wonder if it's going out. But then again, when I did the diagnostic that checks for bad sectors, it says everything is fine. I keep getting that same stupid error. Then it stops for awhile (it's been good for about 5 days now), then it starts screwing up again and re-starting several times a day. Can't seem to pinpoint anything.

Tarrax Ironwolf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Hey thanks for the link to Jumpshot. I've been using Avast for quite a few years now and are very happy with their product. And this little gem of a site seems like the proper site to add to my list of 'assistance' that I can benefit from!
:D
"We played Dungeons & Dragons for three hours! Then I was slain by an elf." -- Homer Simpson

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Ok, here's a new problem. I'm trying to find a replacement laptop now, and the new Toshiba Satellite I got has Windows 8. I discovered that I like Windows 8 about ten times LESS than I liked Windows Vista! :evil: All those damn integrated apps, and it's just totally un-user-friendly.

So, I've been trying to find a laptop with Windows 7 on it. No one seems to sell them. I've tried Best Buy, Fry's, Micro-center, etc. Does anyone have some suggestions? I really don't want a refurbished laptop, too many issues to worry about. Not sure if I could get a new one with Windows 8, then downgrade it by purchasing and installing Windows 7. I really didn't think this would be such a hassle.

Also, how the hell do I get a copy of Microsoft Works 2007? I have it on my PC, but now it's no longer available online. The free version, not the trial version. Isn't there a way to copy it from the PC and install it on the laptop?

Tarrax Ironwolf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Here are two Windows 7 laptops.

HP ProBook 4540s (C9K70UT#ABA) Intel Core i3 3110M(2.40GHz) 4GB Memory 500GB HDD 15.6" Notebook Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit
MSI GP Series GP60 2OD-052US Intel Core i5 4200M(2.5GHz) 8GB Memory 750GB HDD 15.6" Notebook Windows 7 Home Premium

As for copying the program. If you still have the installation program all you need to do is transfer that file to your new PC and install it from there...

Mira
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Mira »

Jon has a license for Jumpshot and can give a one time use to anyone he wants to. Doesn't cost a thing. I can kick him and see if he wants to send one to you :D He's not home right now or I'd ask.

He used it on his system and it worked like a champ, he didn't really have anything wrong per se, but it ran faster after they worked on it :D

You could take the Windows 8 system in to a non-chain store computer place and they'll probably be able to put Windows 7 on it, it's something MANY people have been doing, no matter what Microsoft wants to say about Windows 8, it sucks!

If you really get bored, you could go make an Ultimate Boot CD, http://www.ultimatebootcd.com
You could at least verify that all the hardware is working properly. But that's not as fun as watching the Minions work :D

Mira (The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first.)
Mira
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Mira »

Ok, in order for to get that one time Jumpshot thing sent, he needs an email address. Preferably one that doesn't have Halaster in the name, since he might not give it out if he knows it for you. You can send me the address at ms_t_rie at hotmail.com and I'll pass it on to him.
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Uh oh. One of my old nemeses? LOL!

I just sent one, let me know if it works. Thanks!

Mira
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Mira »

Yeah, Jon was one of the TSROs back in the day :D

I forwarded it to him, hopefully he's done something about it :D

Mira (I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe.)
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Got it Mira, thanks! Gonna run it sometime in the next few days. Maybe while the turkey is cooking. :wink:

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Mira, can you please ask John to re-send that link? My fucking worthless PC crashed, or at least Thunderbird did, and I think it was caused by Bitdefender Antivirus. I seem to have lost every damned email I had, which is gonna be a big problem. I even tried a System Restore to a few days ago, and it did not fix it. Any advice on that one?

Beowulf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Beowulf »

Hmmm...your email should on the provider's server, not on your HD.
RIP E. Gary Gygax- The DM's DM!
Mira
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Mira »

Beowulf is right, you normally would just connect to the mail server to get your mail. Unless you have it set to pull messages and delete from the server.

And Jon got a message saying it was redeemed on the 3rd, so he can't send it again. (I'm assuming you found it and used it, since that was a few hours after the post was made)

Mira (Sorry Elminster, it was dark and I had drank a LOT of coffee.)
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Mira, got it to download and work. Unfortunately, it didn't fix the Thunderbird problem, although everything else seems to be running better so far.

Beowulf, with Hostmonster it messes up if you leave them on the server via POP mail. I want access even when I'm offline, so I have them downloaded to my email program (Thunderbird). Somehow they're still on the HD, as the program called Thunderbird Email Recovery can access them at least for reading. Just not sure how to get them to be part of Thunderbird again.

Beowulf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Beowulf »

Ah, I see. I don't know much about setting it up that way, I'm afraid.
RIP E. Gary Gygax- The DM's DM!
Mira
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Mira »

A search turned this up, I guess the email issue must happen enough that the rebuild folder option is there to help.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Disappearing_mail

Also, if you believe Bitdefender caused the problem, you might want to check the quarantine area for missing mail which you should be able to put back before you do the rebuild.

You'll probably want to change your anti-virus so that it prompts before quarantine, that way you can see when it wants to move something from your mail. You will very likely run into stuff it wants to quarantine from mail, since that's a fairly common place for malware and viruses to come in from. If it's set to ask, you can make sure it only moves the questionable file. (almost always an attachment)

Mira (It's not an optical illusion, it just looks like one.)
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

I swapped out Bitdefender for Kaspersky. Bitdefender is good, but the program keeps having problems and customer service sucks.

So...still haven't figured out how to re-install my email. I have no accounts listed in Thunderbird, but the recovery program I ran can find them, I just can't see the headers, email addresses, etc. I'd hate to spend $50 on that, so I'm hoping I can find a way to restore them. I read through that article, but it didn't seem to help. I'm gonna have to find some tech support over the phone with someone, anyone, about that. It's just too difficult posting it to their tech support forums. Sigh.

Mira
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Mira »

Just an FYI.

I discovered BitDefender has a free app for OSX, so I decided to do some research. While there were some good reviews, there were a lot of bad ones as well. In particular, there were a few that complained that the program corrupted the boot sector of all things. Which makes the system unbootable.

So I think your decision to move away from BitDefender is a wise one.

Mira (If someone has a mid-life crisis while playing hide and seek, does he automatically lose because he can't find himself?)
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Wow! :shock:

I swear, I hate technology.