Halaster scores big!

News about the website itself, announcements, etc.

Moderators: Thorn Blackstone, Halaster Blackcloak

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Halaster scores big!

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

Well, I scored big at Half Price Books today (Sunday)! Usually all they have is a bunch of 3E/d20 crap. At least they have it all appropriately close to the public toilet, in case they run out of toilet paper! :twisted:

Anyway, I stopped checking there regularly because there's usually no good gaming material to be found. Well, today was different! Some very cool 1E & 2E material this time! Here is the haul I grabbed. Note that MT means "Mint condition" and NM means "Near Mint". Most of the ones I graded NM were pretty damn close to Mint!

Van Richten's Guide to Fiends - MT
FR4 The Magister - NM
FR6 Dreams of the Red Wizards - MT
FR11 Dwarves Deep - MT
H4 Throne of Bloodstone - NM
FRC2 Curse of the Azure Bonds - NM
REF4 Book of Lairs II - NM
I10 Ravenloft II: House on Gryphon Hill - NM

And the player's guide book (loose, MT) from GAZ13 Shadow Elves for the Gazeteer line of Basic D&D stuff.

All that for less than $40. :D Not counting the loose Gazeteer item, that comes out to just $5 each item!

It's days like this that make me smile. Hell, H4 alone would run me $35 to $60 on ebay! :shock:
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

Beowulf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Beowulf »

Wow, that's a great score! :D The local Last Stop CD shop in my area also sells used books; they actually have more books than CDs. The gaming stuff is hit-and-miss but I've found plenty of good stuff over the years. Nice thing is that no book in the store is over $8. So even the relatively common books (eg 2E players guide) is a good deal vs eBay and shipping charges. Occasionally some 1E/2E material in pristine conditions will show up, and I'm generally there to pounce.
RIP E. Gary Gygax- The DM's DM!
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

Yeah, it sure beats dealing with Ebay! :D

I have many of those items in PDF format, but I hate reading on the computer. I like lounging out comfortably on my vintage 70's couch and reading old AD&D stuff and having that nostalgic feel. The feel of the paper, the smell of the paper, etc. Real reality trumps virtual reality every time! :wink:
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

Minstrel
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Minstrel »

I second that.

I'm usually the first person to get excited about new technology, but pen and paper and a nice solid book will always have their place in my home and at my gaming table.

That feeling of opening a book, a tome, seeing those rich illustrations and text on paper: there's just no way a computer, no matter how fancy or in what format, can duplicate that.