$100 Reward! Read it, and win it!

News about the website itself, announcements, etc.

Moderators: Thorn Blackstone, Halaster Blackcloak

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

$100 Reward! Read it, and win it!

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

Ok, that's it. Whoever can find me an artist who is...

1. Good (has a style that I think fits the project)
2. Will work for the fun of it
3. Has the drive/time/willingness to crank out work in a timely manner (several pieces every week)
4. Sticks with it until it's done

...will win $100.00 of cold hard cash from me!

Just find the artist, and when he fulfills his obligation to the project, I send you a money order, check, or cash (your choice) for $100.00.

Someone needs $100.00, right? Come on guys, there's got to be an artist out there!
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

Sir Clarence
Dungeon Delver
Dungeon Delver

Post by Sir Clarence »

What kind of drawing style do you envision, Hal? Oldschool D&D or more along the 2nd edition line?
Algolei
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Algolei »

So you're saying you haven't been able to find an artist willing to work for a flat fee of $100 for all his artwork? :P
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Sir Clarence, I'm looking for a 2E style artist, definitely! It's hard to define, but I'll know it when I see it. I've seen plenty of appropriate artists. They're either just unreliable, flakey, or outright insane. Or they want $35 a piece for simple line drawings, which would cost us over $1,400.

I'm sorry, but these two-bit, somewhat talented artists with egos the size of galaxies just aren't worth it. For Frazetta or someone of that stature, sure. But come on! $35 to $200 for a freaking piece of art? I put more time and energy into writing Room #7 than any artist will spend on a typical B&W piece. Unreal. :roll:

I guess that answers Algolei's question too. :) Nope, nobody who would even think about doing all that art (40 pieces) for $100. As if they deserve to get paid, while the rest of us do ten to one hundred times as much work. :roll:

Tarrax Ironwolf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Tarrax Ironwolf »

Halaster Blackcloak wrote:Sir Clarence, I'm looking for a 2E style artist, definitely! It's hard to define, but I'll know it when I see it.
Now are you talking about the art in the DMG TSR2100 and PHB TSR2101 (both using the three column page format), or the DMG TSR2160 and PHB TSR2159 (the Black books).

Hmmmm, for some reason BBCode doesn't like the url code?
"We played Dungeons & Dragons for three hours! Then I was slain by an elf." -- Homer Simpson

Dragynn (My new AD&D gaming blog)
Algolei
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Algolei »

Halaster Blackcloak wrote:They're either just unreliable, flakey, or outright insane.
Well yeah, they're ARTISTS! :lol:
Tarrax Ironwolf wrote:Hmmmm, for some reason BBCode doesn't like the url code?
"Nobody likes Milhouse!" - the Simpsons

Edit - hmm, I just got this error message when I posted this entry:
Failed sending email :: PHP ::

DEBUG MODE

Line : 234
File : emailer.php
Doirche

Post by Doirche »

Tarrax Ironwolf wrote:
Halaster Blackcloak wrote:Sir Clarence, I'm looking for a 2E style artist, definitely! It's hard to define, but I'll know it when I see it.
Now are you talking about the art in the DMG TSR2100 and PHB TSR2101 (both using the three column page format), or the DMG TSR2160 and PHB TSR2159 (the Black books).

Hmmmm, for some reason BBCode doesn't like the url code?
We're looking for an artist that can create art with the same quality that was found in the original Ruins of Undermountain.
Tarrax Ironwolf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Tarrax Ironwolf »

Ah, bugger! I can't find my Undermountain stuff to get an idea. Image
"We played Dungeons & Dragons for three hours! Then I was slain by an elf." -- Homer Simpson

Dragynn (My new AD&D gaming blog)
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Just a quick couple of things...

HTML code doesn't work. You need to use BBCode. Which is all just click and paste anyway.

As for the art, Doirche pegged it. We want it to look similar to or at least relatively close to the art of the original Undermountain. As long as it's good and has a 2E feel. It's just something I have to see to decide on.

It would suck to release it without art, but that's where it might end up if we don't want to wait until 2012 to release it. #@ :evil:

I think it might be time to implement Plan Omega - kidnap an artist, chain him to the desk, and only feed him when he completes a piece of art.

Note the lack of smilies on that last line! :twisted:

Algolei
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Algolei »

Have you tried art school students? You might be able to find one willing to do it as a "project" for one of their classes. Something like "Reproducing Other Artists' Styles" or whatever.
McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

When I was going through some all those Realms PDFs I have, I noticed that some of the art (and a very minute amount at that) in the Origianl UM Boxed set was recycled from a few other products (thus is the TSR motto Recycle art, Reuse art over and over, and Reduce their work load).
At the edge of madness, he will show no sadness
Never broken, he'll be back for more
Proven under fire, over trench and wire
No fear of death, he's unshakeable
Forged for the war, he's unbreakable