Hmmmmm

News about the website itself, announcements, etc.

Moderators: Thorn Blackstone, Halaster Blackcloak

Gonna Buy It?

Poll ended at Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:00 pm

YES
13%
NO
20%
HELL NO
67%

Total votes: 15

Doirche

Hmmmmm

Post by Doirche »

Anyone plan on buying THIS ????
Zherbus
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Zherbus »

I wanted "fuck no", but I took what I could get.
Doirche

Post by Doirche »

Zherbus wrote:I wanted "fuck no", but I took what I could get.

ROFLMFAO :lol: :lol:
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

I'd sooner sever my own testicles with a dull, rusty butter-knife than buy that crap! :shock:
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

jeffx
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Re: Hmmmmm

Post by jeffx »

Doirche wrote:Anyone plan on buying THIS ????
Yup. I had the choice of severing my own testicles or buying the 4E core rules. My level head prevailed so I pre-ordered.

For what it is worth, I have a copy of the quick start rules. It leaves lots of questions and I'm still going to give playing it a shot but I don't think I will be leaving 2E anytime soon [1]. There are two rules in the quick start that I don't like. Healing surges, actually second wind and the minor rest thing. Don't remember the rule but basically you get your skills back if you rest for 5 minutes. Oh yeah, and the video of the WotC employee saying miniatures weren't required is a f'ing liar. Okay maybe not required but a DM would have to be into causing himself pain to not use miniatures.

There are some good things I have seen but will wait until I see a PHB before I comment.

[1] My opinion may change after actually playing it.
Doirche

Post by Doirche »

jeffx wrote:Yup. I had the choice of severing my own testicles or buying the 4E core rules. My level head prevailed so I pre-ordered.
So how come I have 7 "Hell No's" and ZERO "Yes's"????

:P
Mira
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Mira »

Are you really that surprised?

Mira (Jesse Jackson, Jim Bakker, and Jimmy Swaggert have written an impressive new book ... It's called: "Ministers Do More Than Lay People.")
Varl
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by Varl »

The only interest I have in 4e are features of the game I can strip mine from it for my game and convert said rules to my 2e game, and to give them a 2e feel.

I'm not so old school that I'll refuse to look at new rules I haven't seen yet and dismiss them out of hand, but I'm also not interested in purchasing them either. Heh. That's why I wait for the reviews or an "SRD" or whatever of the 4e rules, so I can glean what I need for 0 cost. And if for some reason I can't get the information, I'll do without.

But, to be honest, I've flat out grown weary of new rules. WotC is bent on delivering new core game rulesets seemingly annually rather than juicy content any edition could use (or even convert if needs be), so what money I do spend on gaming products will still be spent on miniatures, monsters, and modules, as it has been since 1999 or so. The rest is crap. :lol:
Tired of clone MMOs? So are we!
http://trialsofascension.com/
jeffx
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by jeffx »

Doirche wrote:
jeffx wrote:Yup. I had the choice of severing my own testicles or buying the 4E core rules. My level head prevailed so I pre-ordered.
So how come I have 7 "Hell No's" and ZERO "Yes's"????

:P
Because I am a doofus and didn't hit "yes".

I am interested in 4E for several reasons. First, and most important, is the online gaming features. I am insanely curious about it. With the thing I am trying to do with the local library system, the modern version is the best choice. With Amazon's pre-order discount I am not going to find a cheaper version of the core books at any point so I'm taking the risk.
McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

Each book is guaranteed to come with a parasitic brain devourer that makes you want to buy more and more of that shit. I've read (well skimmed through quickly) through a dozen pdfs of 3rd ed and wasn't impressed with the mechanics, etc. I'm not even going to bother looking at 4th.
At the edge of madness, he will show no sadness
Never broken, he'll be back for more
Proven under fire, over trench and wire
No fear of death, he's unshakeable
Forged for the war, he's unbreakable
Algolei
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Algolei »

Varl wrote:The only interest I have in 4e are features of the game I can strip mine from it for my game....
Ditto. But I won't pay for any 4E crap. If I can't steal it or borrow it, I'll be content to die never having seen it. :P
Torctref Spleenkiller
Dungeon Delver
Dungeon Delver

Post by Torctref Spleenkiller »

Well it looks like the voting window has elapsed...But I would have said "No"...I'm pretty solidly old school...1e and maybe 2e...much after that and I'm not really interested. To me its just not AD&D...it becomes a marketing ploy.
Old school players are only scared of two things:
1. Stuff that turns your ass to stone
2. Energy Drain