I have a task for everyone!

News about the website itself, announcements, etc.

Moderators: Thorn Blackstone, Halaster Blackcloak

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

I have a task for everyone!

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

Ok troops! I'm simpy stuck here. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to change the nasty colored lettering on the site. I need change the yellow color used for the title, I need to change the color of the lettering used to name each forum, etc.

The phpBB support forums had a major crash, so they'll be no help for days. Can't even access it. Can anyone familiar with tech stuff and phpBB CSS style sheets help me figure out not only the color codes (I can't find a set that seems accurate with that's already set in the Chronicles theme), and moreso, how to change those fonts? I've scoured the internet, and at this point I'm just burning time with no results. :evil:

Thanks! :wink:
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

Unther
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by Unther »

It is somewhere in the css, where exactly I don't know, I would need to poke around with the files to find out...
Unther
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by Unther »

Found it. In templates/Chronicles/Chronicles.css :

Code: Select all

.maintitle,h1,h2	{
			font-weight: bold; font-size: 22px; font-family: "Book Antiqua", "Palatino Linotype", Palatino, Times, serif;
			text-decoration: none; line-height : 120%; color : #FFE081;
}
The color entry in that field define the color of the title in RGB hex values. Change it as you wish. :)
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Ok, now for the tricky part...

How do I access that, what program do I open it/edit it with, what color codes can I choose from (is there a list somewhere?), etc? :oops:

Also, I tried changing that damned wooden button for the reply and new topic buttons, deleted the old ones out of the server directory and uploaded the new icons, but the damned things simply do not show up! :evil:

I cleared my cache and all that, but the new images don't show. They have to show! It worked with the folder icons I changed. Oh, how I hate tech crap! :evil:

Unther
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by Unther »

You can change it to any value you like. Each pair of characters represents a hex colour value, red, then green, then blue.

Alternatively, give me a shell on the server, and I will get the change made for you... :)
Rhuvein
Dungeon Delver
Dungeon Delver

Post by Rhuvein »

Hey Hal. It sounds like Unther has got you covered.

I just thought I'd pipe up and mention that I'm a site admin at Keeper's Den - an old C&C site that has pretty died, since the Trolls got their new forums going.
Heh, you might even recall registering there last year or the one before it.

Anywho, since the site is so quite, I can test stuff if you like or just look around on how to do stuff.

Probably won't be necessary as you seem to know what you're doing and Unther appears to be quite knowledgeable.

Just thought I'd throw this info out there.

Here's a link to see if you remember this place:

http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index.php ... =d6fantasyImage
Count Rhuveinus - Lejend Master of the Dungeon and Keeper of Castle Frankfort

By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes: - William Shakespeare
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

I have no idea what a "shell" is. Remember, when it comes to computer technology, I'm a 'tard! :wink: :lol:

Also, and this is URGENT...

How the hell do I set the site so that I can simply highlight words in a post and click bold or underlined to bold or underline them? I've noticed that in some forums, it works that way. You're writing a post and you go back and highlight a word, then click bold and it makes it bold, just like in Word.

Right now, how this site works is that if you higlight a word and click bold, it does not make the word bold. It puts the open and close bold tags at the end of whatever you were writing, blank. It looks like this:

Writing some text, highlight the word "text", click bold, and at the end of the sentence we see [/b ].

I put spaces in there so the bold tags are visible. But you get the idea. Very irritating and not user friendly. My biggest pet peeve on some forums, having to go back and manually type in the tags. How do we fix that?

I also cannot fix the font size on these posts...the font is far bigger than it used to be. I tried changing it and it has no effect. I fucking hate tech stuff! :x :evil:

Varl
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by Varl »

Halaster Blackcloak wrote:I have no idea what a "shell" is. Remember, when it comes to computer technology, I'm a 'tard! :wink: :lol:
Don't look at me. I'm just as bad.
How the hell do I set the site so that I can simply highlight words in a post and click bold or underlined to bold or underline them? I've noticed that in some forums, it works that way. You're writing a post and you go back and highlight a word, then click bold and it makes it bold, just like in Word.
I know. I was going to mention these. Don't forget "quote" too! I'm asking my HTML friend/guru, and I'll report back what he says for you. Hang in there.

[/quote]
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Varl, the one thing I need to find out more than anything else is why certain functions don't work correctly. Here's the list:

1. Highlighting & bold/underline/italics - If you highlight some text in a post and click the bold, italics, or underline button, it does not wrap the highlighted words in the appropriate tags. Instead, it drops the tags at the end of the text. So for example, if I were to highlight the word "example" in this sentence, then click the button for bold up top, the bold tags would appear at the end of the sentence, like this: [ /b]. It would not put the tags on the word "example" as it would at Zherbus's site and others. This is a major pain in the ass, since it means having to type in the tags by hand, or choose them before-hand and then type inside them. It should work like Word or at Zherbus's site.

2. Smileys - If I were to click and put my cursor between two words in a post and then click to insert a smiley face there, it would not place it there. Again, it places it at the end of the text.

3. Return to top - If you noticed, when you're writing a long post and you have to click something such as bold, italics, etc, then the page somehow loads back to the top of the post and you have to scroll down again.

Also, if we can figure out how to convert the damned text to Verdana, it might be easier on the eyes without all those stupid serifs. :evil:

I so wish the phpBB forums were up. They may be down for quite awhile due to a raid crash. :shock: :(

Unther
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by Unther »

Hal, a shell is command line access to the server...

I need the ability to edit the files if I am going to make any changes. On Linux boxes, this is commonly provided by giving a shell.

P.S. If they have had a RAID crash and burn on them, they may be down a while, that is serious...
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Unther, I have no idea how to set up command lines or shells or anything. Like I said, there are (I am not kidding) third graders who are probably more proficent with computer technology than I am! :oops:

Well, I found something out. Problem #1 (see my last post) with the highlighting/bold/italics/underline is partially solved. It works fine if you're using the boring, standard, Subsilver template. :roll: I just went and tried it. And yet it does not work with the damned Chronicles template. :evil:

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Rhuvein, I remember the Keeper's Den! :D

Yeah, it got really quiet there. :? It seems most sites are getting really quiet nowadays. :(

Oh, and Unther, check the phpBB forum:

http://www.phpbb.com/
Ouch! RAID array failure…

We’re sad to announce that during the switch of a failed harddisk to the hot-spare and the planned 2 hours required for the array to re-sync, we’ve been hit by an extremely unexpected double-disk failure which leaves us with a dead array.

As the server needs to be rebuilt with a new set of harddisks and reconfigured, there will be a number of days of downtime whilst this holding page is up on a vserver and that the server failure can be recovered from with the existing phpBB.com website and data from our private CVS repositories restored. In the mean time, please direct yourself to our temporary support forums over at Area51.

Bertie probably shouldn’t have fed the server honey to see if that would make it feel better…

Cheers :(

Unther
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by Unther »

Ouch, that is incredibly rare, and extremely painful...

Hal, basically, I need what ever access you have to edit the files. I'm not sure how the server is set up, (I have a few ideas but nothing concrete) but I do know how everything works. To change stuff, you just need to edit the stylesheet. Most of the changes you want would take me less than 5 minutes each... :) But I need admin level access to the files.
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Unther, would it work if I copied the CSS stylesheet to Notepad and sent that to you for revisions? I know how to do that at least. :oops:

If not, I'll have to figure out about that shell thing to give you access to the server. If I just knew which settings controlled those few issues, I could fix it. I'm just stumped on that part. :oops:

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Now WTF? :evil:

I set the links to bright yellow and they worked fine. All of a sudden, they're appearing in white! :roll:

I didn't change anything, and in fact double-checked the CSS settings in the admin panel, re-saved it to be sure, and they're still white! :roll: :evil: :?

And people ask why I never went for a job in computer programming. Because I'd end up killing someone! :shock:

Mira
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Mira »

Halaster Blackcloak wrote:Now WTF? :evil:

I set the links to bright yellow and they worked fine. All of a sudden, they're appearing in white! :roll:

I didn't change anything, and in fact double-checked the CSS settings in the admin panel, re-saved it to be sure, and they're still white! :roll: :evil: :?

And people ask why I never went for a job in computer programming. Because I'd end up killing someone! :shock:
the Alink and Vlink attributes set the colors for links, an Active link (alink) would be the yellow you see BEFORE you've been there, the Visited link (vlink) would be the white it is now that you have been there. Normally you do want them to be different colors so you can tell if you've clicked it before. If you don't like the white, you can change that to some other color though :)

Mira (To every exception there is a rule)
Unther
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by Unther »

Hal, you could mail me the stylesheet, but it will be a pain to work with because I can't easily test changes. If you are able to change the stylesheet, than whatever level of access you have would be sufficient, if you are prepared to risk giving that to me.
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Mira wrote:
the Alink and Vlink attributes set the colors for links, an Active link (alink) would be the yellow you see BEFORE you've been there, the Visited link (vlink) would be the white it is now that you have been there. Normally you do want them to be different colors so you can tell if you've clicked it before. If you don't like the white, you can change that to some other color though
Ah! That makes sense! I think it's set that way now. I hope.

Unther wrote:
Hal, you could mail me the stylesheet, but it will be a pain to work with because I can't easily test changes. If you are able to change the stylesheet, than whatever level of access you have would be sufficient, if you are prepared to risk giving that to me.
Unther, I'll PM you about it. I'll get a list of what we need changed first, so you can have it all in front of you. :wink:

Unther
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by Unther »

That's fine Hal.
Rhuvein
Dungeon Delver
Dungeon Delver

Post by Rhuvein »

Halaster Blackcloak wrote:And people ask why I never went for a job in computer programming. Because I'd end up killing someone! :shock:
Haha, LOL. Not to laugh at you Hal, I'm thinking of myself. I can be very impatient, but ended up going into computers and programming and eventually tech support and such. But oddly, I'm never impatient when working, it's probably because if you really like something it doesn't bug you when it doesn't work the first time.

People are amazed when they see me work on a desktop issue, I just sit there trying stuff and rebooting and I can see they're ready to throw the box out the window!! :lol:

Anywho, it looks like you have some good peeps here to help you. While I'm quite familiar with phpbb and such, I haven't programmed in years. So sorry I can't offer too much help. I'm too busy these days keeping all the crap off my networked home computers - a never ending job as most everyone knows.
Count Rhuveinus - Lejend Master of the Dungeon and Keeper of Castle Frankfort

By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes: - William Shakespeare