Megadungeon Ideas & Inspirations

Discussion of OOP 1st & 2nd Edition products and rules, ie TSR AD&D material.

Moderators: Thorn Blackstone, Halaster Blackcloak

McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Megadungeon Ideas & Inspirations

Post by McDeath »

I don't recall a generic topic on this but I recently caught wind of a rather gruesome anomaly of an anine. Yeah, I know; not the most epic of areas to delve. This one looks flippin childlike and a lot of reviewers thought so toobut it gets dark fast. In a way, it makes me think of the Yawning Portal on steroids or surrounding Cthulus sphincter. Weird ass shit.

Anyone ever hear of Made in Abyss

Seems like a huge cthulu-esque dungeon romp mixed with Darkest Dungeon. I never heard of it. I do wonder it it was adapted to pnp.

There are many reviews and I'm intrigued enough to maybe purchase it (pirating seems difficult atm).
At the edge of madness, he will show no sadness
Never broken, he'll be back for more
Proven under fire, over trench and wire
No fear of death, he's unshakeable
Forged for the war, he's unbreakable
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Re: Megadungeon Ideas & Inspirations

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

I never heard of it, but then again I can't stand anime.
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

slade88green
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by slade88green »

I have not heard of that one before. I am not a big anime guy but I see season one is on amazon. I'll check it out.
McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

I saw a Christian cult video. Check out this MEGA PRISON DUNGEON!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Sd1DN6m3K4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNba3TVmcjw

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l5d575d1- ... l0eQ%3D%3D

And not to get too biblical or political but this Saudi Prince terrorist is building a cube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3bm0Cx5ds0

There are other vids.

Now, I’ve toyed with the idea of Metatron’s Hypercube as a dungeon and the tesseract. Closest D&D dungeon I can think of is in the Wildspace module with the cube inside the asteroids which is a giant mech beholder spaceship. It is big.
McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

I just purchased this package: Gunderholfen Pdf Bundle

And I bought this as well: Tomb of the Twice Crowned King

It is yet another megadungeon that has been around and this Xmas in July savings seemed like a time to snag it. I also decided to try this Kickstarter: Castle of the Mad Archmage

I get interested in these for some reason. I probably pirates Gunderholfen once but the Bottomless Pit of Zorth I could not. In fact it is getting harder and harder these days or I’m not searching hard enough.
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

That Castle of the Archmage sounds phony. Another 13 leveled dungeon detailed in one book? Unless it's 600+ pages, that's simply not possible and still have any sort of quality to it.

McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

It is 300-400 pages only I believe.
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Yeah, can't be done. You figure, if you have a 300 pg. supplement, you're going to need about 50 pages to detail all the background, ways in and out, monsters, etc. The original Undermountain box set had 39 pages that were not room descriptions. And that was in a supplement that had only 126 pages, so that left 107 pages devoted to room descriptions of 3 levels and 72 rooms in total. That comes to 35 pages per level for room descriptions.

So if you have a 300 pg supplement and you need say 40 pages for background stuff, monsters, new items, etc, that leaves 260 pages to cover 13 levels or only 20 pages per level for room descriptions, a tad over only half of what we saw in the original. Even if all 300 pages was devoted entirely to room descriptions, that means only 23 pages per level which is 12 pages less per level than the original.

It won't be as horrendous as the 5E Undermountain that tried to squeeze 23 levels into a 322 page book. That one had 26 pages of non-room-description pages, leaving 296 pages to detail 24 levels or only 12 pages per level and those rooms read like fucking empty stat blocks! But it also won't be well developed.

Hell, Ruins of Undermountain III (which I really need to make time to get back into and finish) is going to top 300+ pages for just 3 levels!

McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

I know I downloaded the original of this or some title similar somewhere. I forgot to upload that slime pits and other mega dungeon module. Ya’ll know if I have one of these modules I’ll gladly host it on mediafire.

Tonisburg I can’t unless I scan it. That KS was a physical product. I’ll have to see how readily it will scan. Mine is a softcover so that might help. I’ve just been in the MEHS lately unless it is biking or something. Summer means I am outdoors.

Anyway, just name a product/mega dungeon and I’ll check to see if I have it in digital to upload.
McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

Now, if you think that’s impossible about the Mad Mage Dungeon take a look at DFs own publication by Joseph Mohr: (all of his stuff appears to be PWYW which is nice.
The Dark Citadel
I checked this 25 level? dungeon (I need to read to see if these are levels or entire map regions) and its page count separate from map pack is 182 pages total. Descriptions are relatively short and room counts aren’t all that high per level).

I’m thinking of looking at threads on DF and see what they evaluate each known megadungeon at. I plan to see how they stack up compared to each other:
Name of dungeon
Dungeon category: (small, average, large, huge, MEGA)
Edition used:
Page count
#levels
Rooms per level
Total rooms

Oh what else should put in that summary?
Total treasure value?
# magic items?
Xp total?

I really don’t care to do the immediate math on that atm. The simple stuff first.

There has been discussion on what is a megadungeon and what is just a large dungeon.
Last edited by McDeath on Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

Now this popped up recently that I found interesting: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/au ... ory_newest

While it pales in size of many mega dungeons, it is probably NOT KEYED AT AT ALL; it does have sectional files for breaking up the dungeon levels. In fact, that is how it is designed. The different scales are for miniature play (which would be quite a task for even a portion of Undermountain and after all these years I’m surprised no one made a UM combat tile sheets. I’m curious on his take of dividing maps. I gave my comments from the pics and linked up my X,Y work that I never got back to for UM map making (those huge blank 255x155 maps I was working on in attempts to hand draw Um in ms paint. Well, I was working on the symbols for easy copy/paste which was stumped me as I wasn’t satisfied.). Really really wish we had the mapping files and program used for UM.

So, maybe a waste of money, who knows.