GRR 5e...

Discussion of OOP 1st & 2nd Edition products and rules, ie TSR AD&D material.

Moderators: Thorn Blackstone, Halaster Blackcloak

garhkal
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

GRR 5e...

Post by garhkal »

It seems with the advent of 5e, most gamers nowdays, just don't WANT TO even look at playing old school adnd, and those who do give it a try, they just 'quit' after a while, feeling the older games are "too hard/stupid to play" etc..
YET THEY OFTEN say they are more "open and diverse"...

YEA if diverse means ONLY MY GAME system, no others...
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Re: GRR 5e...

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

The people who scream about diversity constantly are the very ones who actually hate diversity. They want everything to be the same. They want everyone to believe the same things, vote the same way, eat the same thing, cheer for the same side (in sports, war, etc), endorse the same candidates, promote the same agenda, etc.

I want real diversity. Whites should marry whites. Blacks should marry blacks. They should live in different neighborhoods, preferably different countries. I want to live in an all-white, all-conservative neighborhood because I have nothing in common with minorities or liberals. Best we diversify from one another.
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

garhkal
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by garhkal »

What irks me most, is i had quite a few folks GIVE 2e a try.. BUT just seemed to drop out/go by the way side, saying "BUT 5e's mechanics are MUCH simpler..."

That imo is all DOWN TO OUR so-called schooling system, DUMBING THE FUCK OUT OF everyoen.
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Simpler my ass. It's a mess. You can quote me on that! :wink:

garhkal
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by garhkal »

I think what they mean in 'much simpler' is everything goes one way. HIGH roll wins. So all they have to do is simple addition.. MANY seem to hate doing subtractions (i rolled x, my thac0 is Y, so i hit A). OR that with 1e, 2e and basic and such, you had SOME rolls you wanted high, some you wanted low..

Whether you roll a natural 1, when needing a 7 or less, OR roll a natural 20 when needing a 14 or more, the numbers/percentages are JUST THE FUCKING SAME.. BUT for some folks, they just CAN'T seem to ever like the "need a low roll for this, high roll for that"..
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

The math may all go one way, but everything else is all over the board! :lol:

garhkal
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by garhkal »

As a Q hal. WHen making your own realm, how many deities do you generally make? How many do you create specifically for paladins?
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

I usually try to first decide whether the world has one set of deities for the entire world, or whether each country or region has its own set of gods. For example, in the former situation, the entire world would worship the same pantheon - say the Norse gods - no matter where in that world you go. In the latter, you might see the Norse pantheon worshipped in a colder northern region, another area worshipping the Greek pantheon, another area the Sumerian pantheon, etc.

Then I decide whether I want to create my own original gods or use established pantheons listed in Deities & Demigods. It's usually easier to adapt the individual pantheons if you're going to have a poly-pantheon world, whereas if you have just one pantheon it's easier to simply make up your own new pantheon. Just pick one god for war, one for love, one for death, etc.

garhkal
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by garhkal »

IF you do that route (one god of death, one of war etc), do you find it irks off players, not having as much of a choice?? Especially if after Making those gods, only one is LG and has the right sets of 'portfolios' to allow paladins (IE the other LG god is one of mercy or love or healing)??
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Never had a problem with that because usually when I've made my own world I've had players who were good and/or long time friends, so we'd all sit around and discuss ideas for the world. So they were good with it from day one.

McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

LOL! I thought GRR 5E was a product. DERP is ME! I thought it was Greyhawk Revived 5E or something.
At the edge of madness, he will show no sadness
Never broken, he'll be back for more
Proven under fire, over trench and wire
No fear of death, he's unshakeable
Forged for the war, he's unbreakable
McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

This article. https://www.pcgamer.com/im-so-relieved- ... nt-system/

Yeah, why would I care? Why even bother with using D&D or WOTC at all. Many say this is just a reskinned amplified game in the Divinity series of games. It is a freakshow for certain screaming with tranny, fags, and more…
I swear that succubus has a moustache.
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

I couldn't get past the first sentence or two. The guy is a fucking idiot. The moment someone starts whining about how alignment is a straightjacket because you can't be a CE druid, they lost the argument and proved their ignorance of the system. D&D (the real game not the 3E-5E crap) is based on archetypes. And archetypes have alignments or ranges of alignment, by their very nature. An evil paladin is an oxymoron, as is a good assassin.

I scrolled through the rest of his screed about alignment leading to genocide. Fucking leftists always sound the same.

Alignment isn't a guide to behavior, it's a description of behavior. It's a way to view a person's actions. Druids are by their very nature true neutral because they see the necessary balance of all things. My oft-cited example of druids is a situation where a group of people form a kingdom and clear some land within which to settle. That's fine with a druid because it means having to grow fields of crops and the kingdom will also have to be careful to keep the water clean and pure lest they ruin their own water source. It also means that the king will protect the forests of his land from destructive monsters like orcs or owl bears.

On the other hand, the druid would not want the kingdom to spread too large and clear too much wilderness, nor would he want the kingdom to wipe out all the orcs or owl bears. The deep wilderness should be dangerous, as that prevents humans from clearing and settling the entire forest. It's a balance, which is what druids are all about - not too much of one thing, not too much of another. Just like in modern times, people want to wipe out mosquitoes, but even those pests serve a role in nature by spreading disease, keeping human and animal populations from overbreeding and ensuring that those best fit for survival do.

Paladins are by their very nature LG. It's not that paladins act good because they are LG, rather they are LG because they act lawfully and with goodness. Again - alignment is a description of behavior, not a guide to behavior.

In my experience, the only people who ever whine about alignment are either those who don't understand how to use alignment, or they're idiots who want to be able to play oxymoronic characters like paladin-assassins. :roll:

I can't comprehend how someone has an issue with orcs being evil, unless they're leftists because those people are always looking for a way to be offended. It's the air they breathe and if you prevent them from being offended by everything from Xmas carols to D&D monsters, they'll suffocate. Orcs are fucking evil because orcs are fucking evil! It's literally that simple.

Also, there is literally no reason that a DM must adhere to that alignment as written in stone. In my Taladas game, in one kingdom there is a settlement of half-orcs who are mainly CG and always seeking to be integrated more into the larger society, but they are looked down upon by the rest of the kingdom. You could do the same with full orcs. Perhaps there are tribes of orcs who are tired of being at war constantly. They're jealous of the more good-aligned and more stable races, so perhaps they're trying to become a good-aligned society. You can play with these concepts with alignment and have a lot of fun!

I knew the author does not understand alignment when he wrote this nonsense:
A Lawful Good character is kind and just, and always follows the laws of the land as much as possible
Underlined emphasis mine. This is clearly a misunderstanding of alignment. Would a paladin follow a particular law of the land if that law violates the code of good? No. "Law" in alignment doesn't mean literal laws, it refers to orderly behavior and observing strictures that bring benefit to the most people. A paladin would support a law requiring everyone to pay taxes in order to fund the king's army because that army keeps the people safe from enemy forces and monsters - it's a good thing that benefits all people. The paladin, however, would not support a law of taxation that makes people destitute or a law that required that people pay a tithe to the Temple of Orcus. People forget that originally D&D only had 3 alignments - Lawful, Chaotic and Neutral. The expansion to 7 alignments in AD&D provided more nuanced and varied options.

In the same way, monks are Lawful because they must train in strict disciplines in order to attain their abilities. People misunderstand "Lawful" because while it is the opposite of Chaotic, it isn't called Orderly, which is the opposite of Chaotic. As in original D&D - Lawful meant orderly behavior, Chaotic meant chaotic behavior and neutral meant neutral behavior. Technically, "Lawful" should be called "Orderly" because the opposite of Chaos is Order, not Law. The opposite of Lawful is Unlawful, not Chaotic.

But god forbid these fucking leftists every try to understand anything! It's so much easier to just whine about the things they can't or won't comprehend.

McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

Would a Lawful Good paladin kill evil baby orcs (or w/e their example was…)
It's led to decades of idiotic arguments about the ethics of fantasy worlds—D&D's version of "Would you go back in time and kill Hitler as a baby?" is "Is it Lawful Good for a Paladin to kill a Chaotic Evil baby orc?", a hypothetical both incredibly tiresome and, infuriatingly, actually relevant to gameplay.
Maybe I would. Obviously if I can alter and traverse the temporal timeline I might. It really doesn’t matter at that point because the worlds and cruxes of time are at my disposal and likely, I probably am not subject to time doing what is utterly impossible. Maybe they mean via a machine. Meh! I’m likely to just go sometime/where pleasant and stay and say fuck the world and futures.

Paladin vs baby orc? Well, if it is like me vs those 800 rats infestation then it is a huge YES KILL IT! I’ve stomped baby rats to mush, thrown them into fire pits and punched a ceiling of a tarred tent knocking them to the ground where i raged and punched them to paste. I must’ve hit the mother so hard in the ceiling she later died as the rotting corpse was stuck for a week until I managed to dislodge it and remove it.

Take the texas border thing and the razor barb floating barricade. I’d gladly volunteer to be on the border and pop any mother fucking crossing via stream or else-wise. Man, woman, child, baby. They are like vermin, rats, an infestation of plague. I don’t know them, don’t care to know them, and see them as a security and hazardous health/welfare threat. TERMINATE THEM!

I’m not sure what alignment that would be.

I also doubt that tard ever used the alignment chart tracker in 1e for alignments that steer away from the initial choice. It is an interesting mechanic to use at least a few times imho.
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

McDeath wrote:
I’m not sure what alignment that would be.
Patriotic Chaotic Good! :lol:
Take the texas border thing and the razor barb floating barricade. I’d gladly volunteer to be on the border and pop any mother fucking crossing via stream or else-wise. Man, woman, child, baby. They are like vermin, rats, an infestation of plague. I don’t know them, don’t care to know them, and see them as a security and hazardous health/welfare threat. TERMINATE THEM!
Amen! I'd even pay for my own ammo!
I also doubt that tard ever used the alignment chart tracker in 1e for alignments that steer away from the initial choice. It is an interesting mechanic to use at least a few times imho.
That was a great mechanic, in my eyes. The DM should understand alignment, and it's really in his eyes that the character's alignment is defined. No, these modern whiners just want to whine and be offended.

"Why can't I be a transgender half-pixie/half-cyclops pink haired demi-sexual druid/paladin/assassin?"

:roll:

garhkal
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by garhkal »

McDeath wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:02 pm Take the texas border thing and the razor barb floating barricade. I’d gladly volunteer to be on the border and pop any mother fucking crossing via stream or else-wise. Man, woman, child, baby. They are like vermin, rats, an infestation of plague. I don’t know them, don’t care to know them, and see them as a security and hazardous health/welfare threat. TERMINATE THEM!
I'd join ya..
garhkal
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by garhkal »

Hell, if we ever got remote guns, ala those units we saw in Aliens (that they set up in the vent shafts), place THEM ALONG the border!
Tawnos76
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Tawnos76 »

When the bullets fly across the border it is no longer my problem what they hit. More patriots need to defend the border since the government is no longer willing to. Right below me the border in Baja is a total joke and anyone can just walk across and although they are supposed to go down the road and tell the border guards they need to check in most just hop in a vehicle and drive off. The only thing they are guarding is US citizens who cross over and come back and make legal Americans the issues rather then going after those who came in illegally.
I am really hoping that CA totally fails as a state and the money dries up so that hopefully then they can bring it back broken into more then 1 state and stop letting CA hoard half the vote for the country. At this point it has gone too far so that know it seems better to just vote everything thing they want into existence as there would be no way to fund it all and instead of trying to stop the flood which has gone past the point of no return and just push it off the ledge completely. "Careful what you wish for" I know that might seem defeatist but I think it really would work now to just push them over as if they had everything they wanted to in law there would be no way to fund it all and it would help collapse it faster. I am here to help my parents as their health is going but once that is done I am not staying here afterwards ans TX looks like the better move (excluding Austin).
IXOYE
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Yeah, California is as failed a state as you can get. About as bad as Illinois is up here. Totally fucked. I thought they had something in a ballot about voting to split CA as you mentioned - I thought it was something where they wanted southern CA (LA area) to be broken off the north end. They want to do that here - divide Chicago and corrupt Cook County into its own state and leave the rest of Illinois red (conservative).

garhkal
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by garhkal »

Pity that we can't take the film/tv show, Under the dome, and make the ENTIRE STATE Of CA, and turn it into that film!!! AND just leave the dome up forever.