Using the WEB spell, when OUTSIDE?

Discussion of OOP 1st & 2nd Edition products and rules, ie TSR AD&D material.

Moderators: Thorn Blackstone, Halaster Blackcloak

garhkal
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Using the WEB spell, when OUTSIDE?

Post by garhkal »

OK. Had a situation crop up last session where the group is hugging a coast line, so NO Trees around, no roof, walls or OTHER stuff, to anchor a Web spell too.
BUT Trevor, thinks that "WEB SUCKS, because unlike in 3e or other newer editions, it won't just create a sticky CARPET, OR lash onto LARGE foes..."
SO what say you guys.

SHOULD web work to anchor to large foes? SHoudl it be cast like Spiderman has done in some comics, to form a carpet of stickiness??
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Re: Using the WEB spell, when OUTSIDE?

Post by McDeath »

Gotta admit that old spidey is pretty cool. Enlarged mega strong mage web a foe and swing it around like the hammer throw and release. Pull em off a bridge into the crevasse below. Grab a weapon etc and pull it away. Tie up some hand and pull the feet from a foe. Empire strikes back..... run around them legs...
At the edge of madness, he will show no sadness
Never broken, he'll be back for more
Proven under fire, over trench and wire
No fear of death, he's unshakeable
Forged for the war, he's unbreakable
garhkal
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by garhkal »

Well, the two situations that cropped up, where Jerry (Well his player Trevor) asked/whined it didn't work in the way HE was wanting, was when they faced against two groups of Large foes (8-9ft ogres, and then last session, vs some 7-8ft tall kephrinn...

He argues that "if a tree is good enough to anchor it, outside, then two large foes, should be...
McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

Can't ogres bust through web spells pretty fast? I'd probably stick with BTB to KISS it and be done with it.

Tangent/
If D&D was more micronanaged things like higher level and int would affect duration, area, strength of spell. As is many spells are just flat dur/range etc. INT has practically zilch effect on anything. I don't think later editions addressed it either and instead just bloated shit. If going BTW, you stick with it unless you like rule of cool. There are so many off the cuff judgement calls that players suggest and DM ponders it'd be difficult to cover them all. Books, comics, media, irl events are influencers.

There are times I wish D&D had stripped it down to just human PCs of Cleric, Fighter, Thief, Wizard and focused on the mechanics each to perfection in accordance to the 6 basic stats. Some say 7 if you believe in Comeliness and want Charisma to focus entirely on leadership and personality. Some believe breaking stats further. That complicates it more.

I can't say I have ever compared the spell system to others be they vancian or otherwise (that just deals with spell # you xan cast via slots or mana(magic points) and restoring them. I generally like vancian.
garhkal
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by garhkal »

McDeath wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:35 amThere are so many off the cuff judgement calls that players suggest and DM ponders it'd be difficult to cover them all.
With how the player was 'asking' for it, it seemed more like a gripe/whine, turning into a demand "that i alter the spell, and stop being a slave to RAW", rather than a player suggestion..
McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

When they whine serve them up some foul cheese.
garhkal
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by garhkal »

Now linked.. If they are say in the open (near a coastal cliff edge) no trees for miles.. And just 2-3 inch grass around. WOULD FOLKS Moving on them, while folks slept, be making "enough noise", for anyone in camp, to hear it, BEFORE they get close to infravision range?

Since there's no leaves, twigs or other stuff to 'crack', i say no..
BUT trevor (the player of Jerry), is andimant, that "WE should have fucking heard them, damn undead, before they even got CLOSE to our camp. THIS IS fucked!"
McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

Actually, I always thought undead were quite stealthy even skeletons & zombies. Once you get to ghouls you're like in gollum and worse territory. Horror movie undead are always jump scaring.
garhkal
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by garhkal »

Add to that, most undead won't show up IMO, to infravision, since they are 'essentially room temperature.
Now i can see some undead showing up as cold (ie bones, or level drainers, due to their link to the negative energy plane), or those who 'eat flesh', such as ghouls and such, being RED if they just got done eating something a few hours ago..
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

I don't go in too deep into physics with undead. Undead are silent, so they're always silent - even when crossing leaves, branches, etc. As for infravision, it depends on how you use it. If you go with the infrared explanation, they can't see undead because undead are room temperature. I don't personally like the infrared concept of infravision. I prefer the alternative where they can simply see in the dark - more a magical ability than a physics explanation. The infrared concept causes too many arguments and complications.

As for web, I would definitely allow it to stick to a group of ogres or giants or some such. On a barren beach, it won't work because it does need some sort of anchor point.
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!