Ghoul Paralysis.. How long?

Discussion of OOP 1st & 2nd Edition products and rules, ie TSR AD&D material.

Moderators: Thorn Blackstone, Halaster Blackcloak

garhkal
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Ghoul Paralysis.. How long?

Post by garhkal »

Over the years, i've seen many different responses on how long Ghoul (and ghast) paralysis lasts..

FOR ME, i have made it, d6+2 rounds for Ghouls, 2d6+4 rounds for Ghasts...

What do YOU do?
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Re: Ghoul Paralysis.. How long?

Post by McDeath »

It has been a while. I remember my horrible experience with ghouls and nightcrawlers in moldvay D&D.

There have been more than a few articles on the matter and the biggest was Kingdom of the Dead I think with the True Ghouls (was in Dragon & Dungeon. I was disappointed there wasn't an early Van Ritchen's Guides to the lesser Dead (if you call ghouls & wights lesser. I practically put wraiths in with other spectral undead like banshees, ghosts, etc).

I'd probably the the MC entry or MM entry for 2e first but I can't recall the time paralyzed. If i was creating other lesser or greater variants I might change duration and save bonus/penalties.

Lessee, Ghoul & assumed lacedons (doesn't say explicitly for these water dead) 3-8 (2+1d6) rounds.

Ghasts for 5-10 (4+1d6) rounds.

Ghoul Lords clws for 7-12 (1d6+6) rounds. Even elves are not immune to this effect. Bite is a horrible disease not paralysis

Ghoul, Kleshite Same as standard ghouls

D&D/CREATURE CARALOGUE AC9
CC Elder Ghouls 2-8 turns (yeesh)

CC Vapour Ghouls mind paralysis 2-8 rounds

Moldvay Basic Ghoul 2-8 turns

Mentzer D&D/RC 2-8 turns

Holmes?

OD& D ?
At the edge of madness, he will show no sadness
Never broken, he'll be back for more
Proven under fire, over trench and wire
No fear of death, he's unshakeable
Forged for the war, he's unbreakable
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

Holy shit! I've been so busy I haven't checked into the forums in awhile. It's been tricky flipping my sleep cycle and jumping from not working to going full time.
Over the years, i've seen many different responses on how long Ghoul (and ghast) paralysis lasts..

FOR ME, i have made it, d6+2 rounds for Ghouls, 2d6+4 rounds for Ghasts...

What do YOU do?
I usually just go by what's in the Monster Manual. 3-8 rounds for ghouls and 5-10 rounds for ghasts. That's the 2E version. I'm not 100% certain, since I haven't played strict 1E in decades, but I believe in 1E the paralysis was permanent until a remove paralysis spell or some other method was used. I think that was one of the major reasons for the spell in the first place.

I have to admit, I sorta like the idea of permanent paralysis until some form of magic is used to dispel it. Kinda makes those low level undead a bit more of a threat.
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

McDeath wrote:
There have been more than a few articles on the matter and the biggest was Kingdom of the Dead I think with the True Ghouls (was in Dragon & Dungeon. I was disappointed there wasn't an early Van Ritchen's Guides to the lesser Dead (if you call ghouls & wights lesser. I practically put wraiths in with other spectral undead like banshees, ghosts, etc).
Yeah, a Van Richten's Guide for Lesser Undead would have been awesome! Skeletons, zombies, ghouls, ghasts, etc. I would have loved that!
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!