Memorizing out of some one else's spellbook?

Discussion of OOP 1st & 2nd Edition products and rules, ie TSR AD&D material.

Moderators: Thorn Blackstone, Halaster Blackcloak

garhkal
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Memorizing out of some one else's spellbook?

Post by garhkal »

Who here lets a mage pc (or npc), memorize a spell OUT of someone else's spellbook, A) If they have passed their chance to know, and B) if they have already used a RM to 'unlock' it?

OR must they copy it into their OWN Hand writing/spell book, BEFORE they can memorize?
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
Tawnos76
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Re: Memorizing out of some one else's spellbook?

Post by Tawnos76 »

Quick answer - If they can read it they can memorize it.

Long answer
It would depend on if they studied under the same master or school of wizardry so understand all the notation as I would think each magic school of thought might have its own form of writing spells so that someone who might specialize in summoning might not be able to understand a spell notation written from a school of destruction, abjuration or any of the other schools. You could keep it that only opposing schools of thought would not be understood but that makes for more bookeeping but some might like the immersion more in their games.
IXOYE
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Re: Memorizing out of some one else's spellbook?

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

I never gave it much thought. I do recall there being something written somewhere in the rules that said each wizard uses a unique style of writing or something along those lines, so two independent wizards writing the same spell would be impossible for them to read each others' spell without resorting to a read magic spell. I don't see why a DM should not allow it, assuming the wizard in question has the requisite level to learn the spell, and the INT score high enough and makes his learn spell roll.
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!