How long to build a wooden tower??

Discussion of OOP 1st & 2nd Edition products and rules, ie TSR AD&D material.

Moderators: Thorn Blackstone, Halaster Blackcloak

garhkal
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

How long to build a wooden tower??

Post by garhkal »

How long do you think it would take, to build a wooden construction Tower? I see in the castle guide, that nothing is in there, other than STONE towers...
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
Tawnos76
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Re: How long to build a wooden tower??

Post by Tawnos76 »

garhkal wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:59 am How long do you think it would take, to build a wooden construction Tower? I see in the castle guide, that nothing is in there, other than STONE towers...
There are some guys on Youtube who do builds and they did an actual wooden watchtower build and it took them 10-12 hours per day 400 - 430 effort hours (average) or roughly 32 days of work.
IXOYE
McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

You'd think in the 90s with the few resource and building games on conputers that the pnp scene would craft more base building, resource management, and crafting products and really try to restructure rules towards that end. I'll admit, niche groups I knew back then were even interested but there were a few. I had a campaign where the party hadcthe option to rule and rebuild a town beyond borderlands. The game was inspired by warcraft and a few other games but I couldn't figure out how more people would even migrate there. It flopped in the end as the party abandoned it after all the townfolk were killed off. Building had an appeal though. It was their map to build.
At the edge of madness, he will show no sadness
Never broken, he'll be back for more
Proven under fire, over trench and wire
No fear of death, he's unshakeable
Forged for the war, he's unbreakable
garhkal
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by garhkal »

Tawnos76 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:37 am
garhkal wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:59 am How long do you think it would take, to build a wooden construction Tower? I see in the castle guide, that nothing is in there, other than STONE towers...
There are some guys on Youtube who do builds and they did an actual wooden watchtower build and it took them 10-12 hours per day 400 - 430 effort hours (average) or roughly 32 days of work.
Did they have pre-cut wood, modern nail guns and such, or medieval like saws, hammers and the like, and have to CUT their own wood?
Tawnos76
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Tawnos76 »

garhkal wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:40 pm
Tawnos76 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:37 am
Did they have pre-cut wood, modern nail guns and such, or medieval like saws, hammers and the like, and have to CUT their own wood?
They did cut their own lumber but used modern tools to drill the and nail the supports. I would hazard a guess at doubling the time for building if using Master Craftsmen or triple the time with only journeymen craftsmen.

I cannot find anything in the book either but I will look to see if I can find something comparable in some of my other RPG world books.
IXOYE
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

I could swear that was covered in the Castle Guide (DMGR2), but I'd have to go look through it.
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

garhkal
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by garhkal »

Halaster Blackcloak wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:56 pm I could swear that was covered in the Castle Guide (DMGR2), but I'd have to go look through it.
Stone towers. Yes. BUT the only wooden structures, are palisades or wooden buildings.. NOW I COULD halve the time for a small wooden building, to mimic a standard 20ft wooden tower.. Medium wood building for a 30ft wood tower, or large for 40ft wood tower.. BUT i was wanting something to reference..
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

Let me take a peek in that guide. I could swear they had some info on wooden constructions. WAIT! I remember! It's in the 1E DMG! :D

"Wooden buildings take approximately one-half the time it takes to construct similar buildings with stone."

~ 1E DMG, pg. 106

It then lists some basic construction times, such as 1 year + 2-8 months for a moat house, shell keep, or small castle.

The Castle Guide (DMGR2) lists construction times for a million different types of construction, and the time needed to build each part. The writing in that book is sloppy and clumsy though, and it's hard to understand that "time" listing for each one, because it's not given in units. Hidden in the text is an example that shows us the number given under "time" is listed in man/weeks. So if it says "2,200" (no measurement defined), that means 2,200 man/weeks of work. So 100 men could build it in 22 weeks, whereas 1,00 men could build it in 2.2 weeks.

So just take that time listed in the castle guide, cut it in half, and those are how many man/weeks you need for any wooden construction. Note though that some constructions listed in the Castle Guide are for wooden construction, so those values you would not cut in half.
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!