Paladin's inherent protection from evil vs. holy avenger sword

Discussion of OOP 1st & 2nd Edition products and rules, ie TSR AD&D material.

Moderators: Thorn Blackstone, Halaster Blackcloak

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Paladin's inherent protection from evil vs. holy avenger sword

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

Extrapolating from the other thread, let's discuss the paladin and his protection from evil ability.

Paladins create a protection vs. evil within in a 10' radius. Personally, I have always thought this should have been a 10' diameter, not a 10' radius, as a 10' radius equates to a 20' diameter, which is a pretty damned large area. It does only give a -1 penalty to enemies' attack rolls, but to me a 20' radius (always active) is a bit much. A 20' diameter covers virtually the entire party in any normal melee situation. A 10' diameter would be more reasonable, covering just the paladin and anyone very near him. I'm hesitant to reduce this in my games, but I am starting to strongly favor the idea that it should be a 10' diameter, not a 10' radius.

The holy avenger sword has always troubled me, for several reasons. The details under the paladin class description conflict with the details under the item description. Under the class description, it says the sword dispels hostile magic (at the paladin's level) within a 30' diameter, which is fucking huge! And yet under the item description it says the sword only dispels magic in a 5' radius, i.e. a 10' diameter, which to me is much more sensible.

I have always ruled that the paladin must present his sword (unsheathed) and concentrate for the round in order to dispel the magic he wishes to dispel, otherwise (if the dispel is automatic by default even while engaging in combat), that to me seems too potent. When it comes to the 50% magic resistance in a 5' radius, I am tossed up on how I see that. On one hand, I like the idea that the sword is so holy and potent that it prevents magic from affecting the paladin 50% of the time simply by being wielded. On the other hand, that does seem pretty potent and I can see requiring the paladin to actively concentrate for the round in nothing other than resisting the magical effect he wishes to resist. I could go either way. Someone help me make up my mind! :lol:
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

garhkal
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Re: Paladin's inherent protection from evil vs. holy avenger sword

Post by garhkal »

Halaster Blackcloak wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:33 am Extrapolating from the other thread, let's discuss the paladin and his protection from evil ability.

Paladins create a protection vs. evil within in a 10' radius. Personally, I have always thought this should have been a 10' diameter, not a 10' radius, as a 10' radius equates to a 20' diameter, which is a pretty damned large area. It does only give a -1 penalty to enemies' attack rolls, but to me a 20' radius (always active) is a bit much. A 20' diameter covers virtually the entire party in any normal melee situation. A 10' diameter would be more reasonable, covering just the paladin and anyone very near him. I'm hesitant to reduce this in my games, but I am starting to strongly favor the idea that it should be a 10' diameter, not a 10' radius.
I agree.. IT should have been 10ft sphere, period.. So 5ft radius...
Halaster Blackcloak wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:33 am The holy avenger sword has always troubled me, for several reasons. The details under the paladin class description conflict with the details under the item description. Under the class description, it says the sword dispels hostile magic (at the paladin's level) within a 30' diameter, which is fucking huge! And yet under the item description it says the sword only dispels magic in a 5' radius, i.e. a 10' diameter, which to me is much more sensible.
MAYBE the writer thought that 5' radius, was on TOP OF the normal 10ft radius of their PFE???
Halaster Blackcloak wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:33 am I have always ruled that the paladin must present his sword (unsheathed) and concentrate for the round in order to dispel the magic he wishes to dispel, otherwise (if the dispel is automatic by default even while engaging in combat), that to me seems too potent. When it comes to the 50% magic resistance in a 5' radius, I am tossed up on how I see that. On one hand, I like the idea that the sword is so holy and potent that it prevents magic from affecting the paladin 50% of the time simply by being wielded. On the other hand, that does seem pretty potent and I can see requiring the paladin to actively concentrate for the round in nothing other than resisting the magical effect he wishes to resist. I could go either way. Someone help me make up my mind! :lol:
Agreed. TO ME he should have to be using his action for the round to dispel anything.. BUT THE MR IS always active WHEN HELD!
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Garhkal wrote:
Yeah, the 10' radius/20' diameter always seemed like a massive area to be covered!
MAYBE the writer thought that 5' radius, was on TOP OF the normal 10ft radius of their PFE???
That actually adds up. It's probably the only thing that makes sense, now that you mention it. But my god, that is a large area! :shock:
Agreed. TO ME he should have to be using his action for the round to dispel anything.. BUT THE MR IS always active WHEN HELD!
I had a player who argued that his holy avenger sword dispelled magic while in the sheath. I said: "Oh, no it doesn't!" #@

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Garhkal wrote:
Yeah, the 10' radius/20' diameter always seemed like a massive area to be covered!
That actually adds up. It's probably the only thing that makes sense, now that you mention it. But my god, that is a large area! :shock:
I had a player who argued that his holy avenger sword dispelled magic while in the sheath. I said: "Oh, no it doesn't!" #@

garhkal
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by garhkal »

I've allowed it, IF THE Holy sword was also intelligent.. BUT NOT for just regular ones.
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Intelligent holy avenger swords? I never thought of that! Sheer genius, Garhkal! :D It opens so many interesting possibilities!

garhkal
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by garhkal »

I forgot where i read it, but i do remember that a GOOD Number of Holy swords ARE intelligent.. Something on the lines of 40% or more..
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Wow, I've never heard of that, anywhere. Not in 1E or 2E anywhere I've ever read.