Let's discuss reincarnation

Discussion of OOP 1st & 2nd Edition products and rules, ie TSR AD&D material.

Moderators: Thorn Blackstone, Halaster Blackcloak

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Let's discuss reincarnation

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

Interesting how synchronicities happen these days. I was reading some old writings I printed up about how I handle raise dead and reincarnation when used against undead, and was thinking about the reincarnation spell. Then I created a druid for my old gaming friend's game. He's using 5E rules as a basis, but he's running it more like a 1E game. And very well. I asked him if I could use faerie fire like it was used in 1E and 2E instead of 5E and he said: "Sure, why not?". Which prompted me to look at the write up for the 5E reincarnate spell out of curiosity. And then the other day I think it was McDeath who posted a link to DF and when I went there I browsed a bit as I sometimes do when someone posts a link, and boom! There was a thread about reincarnation. I think this means I need to talk about it! :lol:

I read that thread, and thought about the spell. First off, a lot of people at DF these days seem not to know the rules as written. Or they read into it more than was intended. Or skew it to how they believe it should work. So I'm going by just the spell as written and the game core rules.

Side note: the spell is called reincarnate for wizards but is called reincarnation for priests (in both 1E and 2E). I'll use the names interchangeably, because they're the same spell in most ways. I just sometimes use one term or the other, forgetting which is which.

I have to say, I can't off hand remember ever using the reincarnation spell in my games. Actually, we did once, for a monk. But that was a very unusual circumstance that was played as part of the ongoing backstory and it was used differently than as detailed in the rules. Long story. Anyway, I just don't see the purpose of the spell. I'll explain why.

First, when a character dies and the player wants to continue playing that character, he (or more accurately, the party) has only a few options.

1. Find a priest who can cast raise dead or resurrection
2. Find a wish spell to wish him back
3. Find a druid or wizard who can cast reincarnation

There is a fourth option, where the party begs divine intervention directly from a deity, but that would still count as a resurrection and would be such an exceedingly rare circumstance that it might ever happen once in 20 years of gaming. So we won't count that as it would still fall under the category of a resurrection or wish albeit cast by a deity instead of a mortal.

So with the spells wish, raise dead and resurrection, what is the ultimate effect? The player's character, the PC, is brought back to life and continues to be played by the player. That is the sole purpose of the spell - to bring back to life the character that the player had been playing prior to the character's death.

The 4th spell, reincarnation, does not achieve that goal. The player does not get back the character he was playing. It's totally different, in almost every case. Looking at the wizard options for the reincarnation spell in 2E, more than half of the results of reincarnation (9 out of 16) are not classable races, i.e. they cannot have classes (trolls, ogre mages, goblins, et.). With the priest spell reincarnate, only 3 out of 20 listed options (the 21st option is DM's choice) are classable races (elf, gnome, human). So in most cases, the reincarnated person comes back as an animal or a monster, not the same character originally played and in most cases not even a being realistically able to go on adventures. Seriously, has anyone ever played a badger character in AD&D, in any campaign ever? Can you imagine a reincarnated stag going on a dungeon crawl? Coming back as an evil monster or animal means the character no longer exists, for all practical purposes.

So if the spell does not accomplish the goal of bringing back the PC the player used to run, and since the vast majority of options create monsters or animals that cannot have class, gain levels, use items, or even enter dungeons due to their size, what use is the spell? To create pets out of your colleague?

Another issue is the fact that the reincarnated character, if it is of a player character race that qualifies for his previous class, only retains 1/2 his levels. That's better than starting a new character at 1st level, although the reincarnated character is now going to be the weakling of the team - not much better than a henchman or hireling. Although I admit I've never required a player whose character has died to roll up a new 1st level character because it makes no sense, for example, to have a party of say 6th or 7th level characters and your new character is 1st level. He's a henchman then, not a PC. So new characters come in at the average level of the party or at the same level as the lowest member of the party.

Anyway, back to reincarnation. If the newly incarnated character is of a new class, he begins at 1st level, which as I just explained is ridiculous and not worth bothering.

The spell, as written and used, is essentially useless. People have come up with what I'd call "tweaks" to the spell, but all of them seem ridiculous when thought about. People talk about anthropomorphic badgers and raccoons. But that is not what the spell says it does. It does not create "werebadgers" or "werestags", for lack of a better description. You do not get Rocky Raccoon from Guardians of the Galaxy walking upright and speaking English - you get a furry little four-legged raccoon who cannot speak human or humanoid languages. And even if you did something like that - imagine the sort of ruckus it would create in a campaign. A party walks into the bar with a raccoon standing on its hind legs speaking human tongue. Or a bear doing so. Or god forbid you bring a stag walking on its hind legs ordering a round of ale for the party! :roll: Unless you play a very, very strange type of unrealistic game, these scenarios are going to be very difficult. Is an innkeeper going to serve ale to a talking raccoon? Allow a stag that walks upright rent a room? This is a fantasy game, but come on! There has to be some level of in-game logic and realism! It just destroys suspension of disbelief when a stag walking upright walks into a bar and in perfect English says to the barkeep: "I'll have a flagon of fine elven wine, my dear sir!". :roll: Most NPCs would react to the new character as a monster, especially if it was an anthropomorphic human/animal.

People also argue about the CON restrictions on resurrections and whether reincarnation counts. I would argue no, and I don't see how it can be argued that it does. The CON score represents the character's physical health - his physique, immune system strength, stamina, endurance, cardiovascular health, etc. Each death erodes that health so that the next time you die, it's harder to come back because your body has lost some resilience. That only makes sense, because a body that has been dead for days or weeks has rotted some. It's decayed, so when it's raised it doesn't have quite the genetic integrity it used to. The spirit or soul is called back, but the spirit does not get weaker, otherwise it would cease to exist upon the last death. The soul inhabits the body, and the body gets more worn out by each recycling - each death and subsequent resurrection.

When the character is reincarnated, it forms an entirely new body, brand new. It has no wear and tear. It has no previous deaths. It has a totally different CON score. So why would it count?

Someone at DF misquoted the 1E DMG, claiming the character has the same CON score. That it not what the 1E DMG says. It gives an example of a badger that can become giant sized, getting max hp and a CON bonus, and the intelligence of the original character. Clearly the CON score is the CON of the badger, not the previous incarnation of the character. The only reason the INT of the original character is kept is to explain how it can have the memories of the original incarnation.

So no, the new incarnation does not get the CON score of the previous incarnation.

Which brings us to another issue. According to Hindu and similar religious beliefs, a reincarnated person does not gain memories of his previous life. The soul contains those memories, but the person cannot remember his previous life except in bits and pieces in very rare circumstances. That's not, however, how it works in AD&D. And that means a new set of problems.

What is the point of having a human character reincarnated as a badger with all the memories and INT of his human self? Would that badger not now still crave beautiful women, the thrill of the hunt, fine clothing, gold, fine wine and good food? Or imagine a reincarnated stag. They graze on grass and grubs. A previously human character who remembers how good wine was, or chocolate, or a good steak, will no longer be able to enjoy the foods he used to enjoy. And unless you're playing in one of those depraved modern games :roll: , he's not going to be able to enjoy the company of the beautiful bar wench who catches his eye! Animals can't eat the same food as humans. For example, chocolate is toxic to cats and dogs, and garlic and onions can cause Heinz Body Anemia in cats and dogs. Feeding deer the wrong foods can cause diarrhea that can kill them.

As I'm thinking about all this, I'm thinking the reincarnate/reincarnation spell needs a lot of fixing because it's a strange spell that seems to cause more problems than it solves and lacks any real purpose in the game.

I've always wanted to write my own 3rd Edition AD&D PHB and DMG, and call it "AD&D Ultimate Edition". That's what I call it now, how I play. I took all the best of 1E and all the best of 2E (usually it boils down to - do I want to use the 1E or 2E version of this rule or mechanic?) and mixed them together. Mostly it's things like adding back assassins, half-orcs and monks that were taken out in 2E, or calling demons and devils what they are, not tanar'ri and baatezu.

I think the reincarnate/reincarnation spell would need some serious work.

First, I now prefer the 1E method where druids have their own unique spell list and clerics have their own (with new unique ones for priests of specific religions, as shown in the FR Gods books). It makes druids different. I've always loved druids and part of that love is that they don't worship gods - they worship the force of nature. It makes them very different than any other class.

I would remove reincarnate/reincarnation spell from wizards altogether. They can do so much as it is, no need for them to have this spell. Clerics can cast healing spells as well as raise dead and resurrection. Druids can cast some healing spells and reincarnate. Wizards can cast none of those. It would be called reincarnation, not reincarnate, just as we call the spell resurrection, not resurrect (nouns, not verbs).

I think I would restrict it to reincarnating PCs as humanoid races. I do see some charm with the idea of a druid reincarnating a follower (perhaps a druid acolyte) as an animal, because it fits the class in a sense - the character becomes a different player in the whole of nature (he was human, now he's living in nature as a badger, etc). But that seems a bit meaningless in game terms. What I mean is, that would serve nothing more than an interesting piece of backstory. The spell has to serve some mechanical purpose in the game. So I would re-create the list to allow only humanoid races. I do like the possibility of the reincarnated person possibly coming back as a different race, so perhaps a human coming back as an elf, gnome, goblin, or orc. I would, since we are keeping the INT of the original character, allow the new character to retain any previous class he had. I think that not only makes sense, it's logical. Why would a human thief, who knows and remembers all the techniques for picking locks, picking pockets, etc., not be able to do so simply because he's in a new body - say a gnome or a goblin? Yes, you can argue there is a neuro-muscular aspect to it (muscle memory, such as drawing a gun, or a knife, or picking a lock), but it seems far more logical that any skill is retained. Can anyone honestly argue that a human who had the rope use NWP and knows how to tie knots would not be able to tie knots in a rope after being reincarnated as a goblin or an orc? So likewise, the idea of the character not remembering how to pick a lock or cast a spell is ridiculous.

Also, there is the roleplaying aspect. Now, I would say that the alignment of the new character would remain the same regardless of the new form. Why? Because his morals, his outlook, his memories, his worldview would all be the same. It's the same spirit coming back in a new body. It's the spirit, the mind, that creates alignment, not the body. For example, Drizzt. Drow elves are evil, but he is good.

And imagine the roleplaying possibilities. Imagine an ugly half-orc (or an even uglier full orc!) who used to be a paladin, but got reincarnated. He still has his holy and ethical/moral outlook. He still strives for law and goodness in keeping with his god's wishes. But now he's ugly and not as charismatic. Sure, high CHA is a requirement for paladins, and as an orc surely his CHA would not be the same. Amongst humans. But his CHA might be very high amongst orcs or goblins. So now he has his looks working against him while proselytizing for his religion amongst humans, but working for him when he preaches to orcs. It sets up so much roleplaying and drama that I could easily add 3 more pages to this admittedly very long post!

So in summary, I would allow reincarnation to bring the character back in a humanoid form (human, elf, dwarf, gnome, halfling, orc, half-orc, goblin, hobgoblin, etc). He would retain the same class and skills and level in his class which he previously had, and the same alignment. None of this coming back at 1st level or at half your old level nonsense, no coming back as a pet animal or an anthropomorphic stag or some such silly thing, etc. That way, the spell does work, but also presents likely very difficult challenges to the character. Does a human who is now a dwarf really feel comfortable living in the gloom underground? Can he stomach powerful dwarven ale? What if he was previously an elf? He's going to like the taste of dwarven ale? Is the now-dwarf character attracted to dwarven women? Or does he still lust for human women? A lot to think about!

Good lord, I'm all typed out! Haven't written such a rant in a long time! What do the rest of you think?
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Re: Let's discuss reincarnation

Post by McDeath »

Fifth option is loot him and let him rot/bury him. Roll a new dude. I was in a few parties like that. Some people spazzed out and threw a fit. I was like... meh whatever dude. Its just writing on paper and a bit of my time. I remember that core group fondly. What i think they really enjoyed is killing the newbs to the group and gauging their reactions. One guy got so pissed at them he flipped the table and started a fist fight. Nothing like watching a few nerds get fighty until they threaten to stab each other eith pencils. DM grabbed the core nerd and I backhanded the newb nerd. You really gotta pull your strikes with some people. He left with a bruised face and i earned rep with the core group being one of the other 4 newbs to the group. I still got killed a lot but I was into acting at the time so it gave me ample opportunity to try new "roles" and personalities (later by random table).

These groups tend to break up though as they lose trust with each other, get butthurt a lot, and play a very inferior style. It doesn't help when the DM is a revolving door switching out with players of that CORE and having a player in the game. The group broke up when i became DM and had transparency with my rolls and NO DM screen. They couldn't handle the actual brutality of a fair game and death. They couldn't dispute it either and I was being very leniant. And.... yes it was Undermountain. It wasn't mind but the core DM. He three a fit when a TPK got them and dissolved all their gear and bodies. He ripped up the module and said it was shit. And i was shit and banned me from his group. I laughed and said that's way the loser crumbles. They didn't dare physically threaten me being utter weaklings.

But damn that was a near spanking BRAND NEW BOXED SET. Stupid rich kids are spoiled.
At the edge of madness, he will show no sadness
Never broken, he'll be back for more
Proven under fire, over trench and wire
No fear of death, he's unshakeable
Forged for the war, he's unbreakable
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

McDeath wrote:
Fifth option is loot him and let him rot/bury him. Roll a new dude.
True, that's a fifth option, but not in context of the point I'm making, which is if the player wishes to continue playing his character, and the character dies, he has only 4 options - raise dead, resurrection, wish or reincarnate. Any other option would entail making a new character. But goddamn, it is funny watching the party looting the body sometimes! :lol:
One guy got so pissed at them he flipped the table and started a fist fight. Nothing like watching a few nerds get fighty until they threaten to stab each other eith pencils.
Good lord. :roll: Emotional wrecks! That wouldn't work at my table. I know several ways to kill with a pencil. Seriously.
I still got killed a lot but I was into acting at the time so it gave me ample opportunity to try new "roles" and personalities (later by random table).
I've had a few players who looked at it that way too. Especially if they hadn't gotten to mid-levels where they hadn't invested as much in the character. It was like eating steak for a week, then deciding it would be nice to try lobster. Just something new and fresh.
They couldn't handle the actual brutality of a fair game and death. They couldn't dispute it either and I was being very leniant. And.... yes it was Undermountain. It wasn't mind but the core DM. He three a fit when a TPK got them and dissolved all their gear and bodies. He ripped up the module and said it was shit. And i was shit and banned me from his group. I laughed and said that's way the loser crumbles. They didn't dare physically threaten me being utter weaklings.
Good lord! Were they all escapees from an asylum? :shock:
But damn that was a near spanking BRAND NEW BOXED SET. Stupid rich kids are spoiled.
Spoiled enough to need an attitude adjustment (i.e. a good ass kicking)!

garhkal
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by garhkal »

Halaster Blackcloak wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:50 pmWhat do the rest of you think?
IF you are just going to have it only bring you back as you were before, what is the point in having reincarnate/reincarnation? JUST do away with it, and keep only raise dead/resurrection.
That is why i often tell folks who wanna just 'edit it to only bring folks back as humanoids (OR let them pick their race), WHY NOT JUST make the damn spell a resurrection then? Same bloody level.
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

What I'm saying is I like the idea of reincarnation because it adds some flavor to the game. You roll on a table to see what you incarnate as. So say you were a human ranger. You might come back as a bugbear, or an orc, or a goblin, or an elf. Or perhaps you do come back as a human but the odds are unlikely. But regardless of your new race, you'd still be a ranger. It sorta shakes things up a bit.

I do like the idea of a druid reincarnating say perhaps one of his follower druids who falls in combat, and he comes back as a badger or a squirrel or something if we use the spell as written. Just backstory stuff, it's kinda cool and in keeping with the druid being part of nature and how his follower is a different part - an animal. But that's just backstory stuff. So if we use it for PCs, unless it has some significant contribution to the game, we have to rewrite the spell or, as you said, why not just use raise dead or resurrection? But I'm seeing reincarnation as coming back as a new race, but since the memories are intact you can be the same class. I think that opens up a lot of interesting roleplaying conundrums and challenges, don't you think?

garhkal
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by garhkal »

Not really.. Anthropormphic raccoons (ala rocket from guardians of the galaxy) is NOT MY IDEA OF adnd.. It may work for games like SW, or shadowrun....
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Yeah it makes me think Gamma World, not AD&D.

McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

It becomes more and more of a thing these days but hardly new. Look at Runequest, Redwall, etc. Even playing the monster isn't all that new. Make me want to look at the old RPGs/supplements and list the playable PC races. This started to carry over to crpgs as well.
garhkal
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by garhkal »

For note, here's MY rules on Reincarnation..

Reincarnation..
When rolling on the chart, IF the result is a 'standard PC race", whether from the PHB, or from the Humanoids handbook, you have a chance of keeping your class and some of your levels earned.
FOR Kalomm, the races from the Humanoids handbook allowed, are Hobgoblin, lizard-men and Gnolls.

IF you do come back as one of those races, go by the following.
A) Reroll your Strength, Dexterity and Constitution score (though your Initial con STILL is your limit for # of times being brought back from the dead). Roll 4d6, reroll any one's and drop lowest for this. THIS IS even if you initially made the character, via a Point buy method.

B) IF the new score is LOWER than the prior score, Increase the new score, by ONE for every three the old one was higher. IE IF you rolled a 8, and your prior Dexterity was a 15, Add two to your roll. However, you do not DROP IT, if the new score is HIGHER than the old score.

C) IF the new race allows you to have the SAME class as your old race did, AND YOu still qualify for it (IE if you used to be a ranger, but now your Con is too low, you can't be a ranger), you drop down 3 levels.. IE IF your old character was an elven mage at 8th level, and now you are a human mage, you'd be 5th/.. IF you were a multi-class, and the new race still allows that combo, keep both classes, but drop 3 levels TOTAL.. Two from the class with the lowest XP requirement, 1 from the class with the highest XP requirement. IE an Elf mage/thief dies and comes back as a half elf (which can still be a mage thief), he drops 2 from his thief side and one from his mage side), ASSUMING HE still has the dex to be a thief!...

D) IF the new race does NOT allow the prior class, start a new one, BUT YOU GAIN 1xp for it, for every 4xp your old class had.. IE Filenius is an elven fighter/mage, who got to 7th/7th level, and had 68,281xp for his mage side. He dies and comes back as a dwarf. He can Keep his fighter side, but has to change up his mage side. 1/4th of 68k is roughly 14k, good for around 3rd or 4th level, as a priest or thief..

E) For every level your prior PC had before he died (Or highest +1 for multi-classed pcs), ADD +1hp to the new guy. So that fighter/mage who now came back as a fighter/priest (or fighter thief), would add +8hp!

IF instead you roll up an animal, and you WISH to try and play it, use the "warrior XP" chart. Drop off the same 3 levels as before, but apply the remaining XP to that chart, and IF its higher than the BASE HD for your animal type, increase yourself up the # of HD. Improving yourself increases your thac0 and such as normal. Once you gain 3 HD above your base, you regain the ability to speak as you normally did. However, this still won't give you opposable thumbs etc...

NOTE that if someone is raised or resurrected, and FAILS THEIR resurrection roll, REINCARNATION WILL NOT WORK as an end run around final death. ONLY Divine intervention (Standard god call at -5% chance) can and ONLY ONCE.

For my home realm of Kalomm, the following is the chart i use for the MAGE version.

d100.
01-05% - Bugber
06-11% = Dwar
12-18% = Elf
19-23% - Gnoll (roll 1d8, on a 1 to 6 its a Gnoll, on a 7or 8 its a flind)
24-28% = Large cat*
29-33% = Brown bear*
24-40% = Half elf
41-47% = Halfling
48-54% = Half orc
55-59% = Hobgoblin
60-73% = human
54-79% = Horse* (d6 roll 1-3 is light war, 4 or 6 is medium war, 6 is heavy war)
80-85% = orc
86-90% - Monkey*
91-95% = Lizard-man
96-98 - Ogre magi
99 or 00 = Gorilla*.

* Indicates an animal. NOTE Someone very good or evil, won't come back as a diametrically opposed alignment. IE Someone LE won't come back in a CG race, just like someone LG won't come back as CE.
garhkal
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by garhkal »

For the Priest/druid version (Reincarnate), it's list of races you come back as is;

D100 roll for form
01-05 = Badger*
06-08 = Bear, Black*
09-13 = Bear, Brown*
14-19 = Boar, Wild*
20-25 = Bird (d12, 1-3 Condor, 5-7 Talking owl, 8-10 Giant raven, 11 or 12 Giant vulture)
26-31 = Centaur
32-40 = Elf
41-44 = Half -elf
45-49 = Halfling
50-59 = Human
60-66 = Horse (d10 roll, 1-4 Riding, 5-7 Light war, 8-9 medium war, 10 Heavy war) *
67-72 = Lizard, Giant *
73-77 = Lizard-man
78-83 = Praying Mantis (2 to 5hd, roll d4+1) *
84-87 = Porcupine, Giant (2 to 5hd, roll d4+1 *
88-93 = Stag
94-00 = DM’s choice.

Note: IF someone comes back as an animal, AFTER they have gained 3hd worth of XP above their base animal form’s hit die, they regain the ability to speak their normal language.

Note on DM’s choice, he can have the character, reincarnate back into his old race. Even Dwarf or Gnoll
McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

I think i'd honestly reconstruct it to a core type table thrn a few substables, splitting animals, monsters, humans/demihumans, and humanoids up. I suppose if you wanted to fatten the tables include each gender ifso inclined. I tend to think the same way on a few other tables like summoning and find faniliar tables. They're too constricted/restricted to such a small sample.
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

I'm gonna have to put some thought into how I'd want the spell to work. One thing that's a bit odd about it is that in the real world idea of reincarnation, you're born into a new body as a baby. In the game, a fully grown body appears into which you incarnate. I guess there's no practical way around that, so I'd have to go with the game version.

Just thinking off the top of my head now, I'd probably be looking at these points:

1. Since you come back with the same intelligence and memories, that to me implies the same personality and therefore the same alignment. So I'd probably have it done where regardless of what you come back as, you retain the same INT and alignment.

2. As far as races, I'm a bit mixed in feeling. I like the idea of druids being able to reincarnate people as animals, as they're so close to nature. Something about the story that goes like this really warms my heart: "That's not my pet squirrel. That's my old druid acolyte who died an unfortunate death but came back as an animal of the forests to continue his worship of nature in a different form." Kinda neat for an NPC. But not very cool for PCs. Also, I thought about whether I would have only druids being able to cast reincarnate or also wizards, in which case perhaps druids reincarnate people as animals or forest creatures (centaurs, korreds, satyrs, etc.) and wizards reincarnate people as humanoids (humans, orcs, gnolls, elves, etc.). But that still means the druid can't reincarnate meaningful forms for PCs. Also, I prefer the wizard not to be able to raise or reincarnate or do curing or healing spells. So it would have to be druids only doing reincarnate, in which case he'd have to be creating humanoid reincarnations.

3. Since INT governs what we know, I would think that skills and classes would remain the same. Why wouldn't a thief who knows how to pick locks not be able to pick locks just because his race changed? Why would a cleric forget his prayers and his love and worship of his god because he's in a different form? Why would a fighter no longer know how to swing a sword or shoot a boy because his race changed? So class and NWPs and weapon proficiencies would remain the same.

4. WIS I'd probably have remain the same since it's the same spirit with the same wisdom accumulated over the course of years. Since it's a new body, I would only re-roll STR, DEX and CON. And for me, I wouldn't count it against your CON limit for resurrections (though it seems most people would), because to me, the new body has a new CON. As I explained earlier, the body loses integrity with each death, making it weaker and therefore less likely to be raised once more. With reincarnate, the body has a fresh start, undiminished by past deaths (if any).

5. I would in this case ignore racial class restrictions simply because it's a special case and because it opens up a lot of interesting roleplaying doors such as an orcish paladin or a gnoll thief or a dwarven wizard.

6. So if I go with that, what's left is trying to figure out a list of races. It can't be too big but it can't be too small. So perhaps:

Orc
Dwarf
Gnoll
Flind
Human
Goblin
Half Elf
Hobgoblin
Elf
Drow Elf
Gnome
Derro
Satyr
Half Orc
Lizard Man
Halfling
Bugbear
Aarocockra
Korred
Svirfneblin

0-5% Orc, 6-10% dwarf, etc. down the line, 5% chance of each. I was going to add Kuo-toan and Sahuagin, but they only live underwater so it's impractical in game terms. The centaur might need replacing because of its size, but I did want some woodland creatures in there.

garhkal
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by garhkal »

Halaster Blackcloak wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:13 pmI'm gonna have to put some thought into how I'd want the spell to work. One thing that's a bit odd about it is that in the real world idea of reincarnation, you're born into a new body as a baby. In the game, a fully grown body appears into which you incarnate. I guess there's no practical way around that, so I'd have to go with the game version.
One thing i've often wondered on that, is WHAT IS THE "Age" bracket for the new body? A young adult (teen)? Full adult? Older??
Halaster Blackcloak wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:13 pm 1. Since you come back with the same intelligence and memories, that to me implies the same personality and therefore the same alignment. So I'd probably have it done where regardless of what you come back as, you retain the same INT and alignment.
Int and memories are one thing, imo alignment is MORE than just memories..
Halaster Blackcloak wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:13 pm 3. Since INT governs what we know, I would think that skills and classes would remain the same. Why wouldn't a thief who knows how to pick locks not be able to pick locks just because his race changed? Why would a cleric forget his prayers and his love and worship of his god because he's in a different form? Why would a fighter no longer know how to swing a sword or shoot a boy because his race changed? So class and NWPs and weapon proficiencies would remain the same.
For the same reason why X race can't be Y class already.. Even if they 'knew how to do something" doesn't mean they can.
Halaster Blackcloak wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:13 pm 5. I would in this case ignore racial class restrictions simply because it's a special case and because it opens up a lot of interesting roleplaying doors such as an orcish paladin or a gnoll thief or a dwarven wizard.
I've always been loathed to do that.. Remove race-class limitations.
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Garhkal wrote:
One thing i've often wondered on that, is WHAT IS THE "Age" bracket for the new body? A young adult (teen)? Full adult? Older??
Yeah, that goes back to my comparison to real life. In Hindu and Vedic religion and science (respectively), you're reincarnated as a baby, whether as human or animal. In D&D, you have an adult incarnation instantly. I guess I would make it simple and just keep the new body the same age as the old one. Although I suppose you would have to make the age relative. For example, if a 20 year old human reincarnated as an elf, he'd probably come back at...I forget the conversion from elf to human years and vice versa, but say 100 years. A 20 year old human is roughly the same age (relatively speaking) as a 100 to 125 year old elf (both initial starting age).
Int and memories are one thing, imo alignment is MORE than just memories..
True, to some degree. But where does alignment come from? Behavior. And most behavior is learned, so logically it would fall under INT (and/or WIS). How else do we explain alignment, what causes it? Remember, alignment is determined by the PC's behavior, not the reverse (i.e. alignment does not determine the PC's behavior). So if the person comes back with the same mind, same memories, etc., how do we logically account for a new alignment? It's like if I woke up with a different body tomorrow - say I was a 20 year old again - it wouldn't change much. Sure, workouts would be easier and more efficient! But I'd still love chocolate, hater liberals, value honesty and goodness, etc. Even if I woke up as a woman, those core values would not change.
For the same reason why X race can't be Y class already.. Even if they 'knew how to do something" doesn't mean they can.
But that doesn't really follow logically. The core reason certain races cannot be certain classes is because those races lack the outlook for the class that's restricted. For example, dwarves live in underground mountains. They lack the appreciation for open forests that druids have. Their culture wants to mine gold, not pet deer and plant flowers. A holy paladin giving his life to his god and doing noble, good deeds is a human concept. Halflings and gnomes lack the seriousness and discipline for the class. Again, that's a cultural upbringing. But if you're a human who had the seriousness and dedication to be a paladin, then died and came back in say an orc or gnome body, you wouldn't have grown up in those cultures, so you would retain the attitude and memories and teachings you had as a human paladin. Your body would be different but your cultural upbringing would remain the same.
I've always been loathed to do that.. Remove race-class limitations
Oh, same here! While I removed level limits, I have always used the racial class limitations. But I'm saying that reincarnation should be the exception to the rule because you're taking that person and all his class knowledge - such as how to pick locks, or how to brew a potion - and transplanting it in a new body. But it's the same knowledge/memory/intelligence in that new body, so what would be the logical rational for denying the original class?

garhkal
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by garhkal »

Halaster Blackcloak wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:06 am Yeah, that goes back to my comparison to real life. In Hindu and Vedic religion and science (respectively), you're reincarnated as a baby, whether as human or animal. In D&D, you have an adult incarnation instantly. I guess I would make it simple and just keep the new body the same age as the old one. Although I suppose you would have to make the age relative. For example, if a 20 year old human reincarnated as an elf, he'd probably come back at...I forget the conversion from elf to human years and vice versa, but say 100 years. A 20 year old human is roughly the same age (relatively speaking) as a 100 to 125 year old elf (both initial starting age).
What of for animals? Say someone gets reincarnated as a wolf, or eagle? How long do THEY last age wise? IIRC most dogs/wolves live at most 18 or so years.. So what would you grade someone who say was a 30 yr old human, that then got reincarnated into a wolf as??

Halaster Blackcloak wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:06 am True, to some degree. But where does alignment come from? Behavior. And most behavior is learned, so logically it would fall under INT (and/or WIS). How else do we explain alignment, what causes it? Remember, alignment is determined by the PC's behavior, not the reverse (i.e. alignment does not determine the PC's behavior). So if the person comes back with the same mind, same memories, etc., how do we logically account for a new alignment? It's like if I woke up with a different body tomorrow - say I was a 20 year old again - it wouldn't change much. Sure, workouts would be easier and more efficient! But I'd still love chocolate, hater liberals, value honesty and goodness, etc. Even if I woke up as a woman, those core values would not change.
I'll give you that.. Maybe that's WHY both the 1e and 2e version of the spell says someone of 'extremely good' alignment, won't get reincarnated into the body of someone GENERALLY evil (IE no LG human coming back as an orc)...
Halaster Blackcloak wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:06 am But that doesn't really follow logically. The core reason certain races cannot be certain classes is because those races lack the outlook for the class that's restricted. For example, dwarves live in underground mountains. They lack the appreciation for open forests that druids have. Their culture wants to mine gold, not pet deer and plant flowers. A holy paladin giving his life to his god and doing noble, good deeds is a human concept. Halflings and gnomes lack the seriousness and discipline for the class. Again, that's a cultural upbringing. But if you're a human who had the seriousness and dedication to be a paladin, then died and came back in say an orc or gnome body, you wouldn't have grown up in those cultures, so you would retain the attitude and memories and teachings you had as a human paladin. Your body would be different but your cultural upbringing would remain the same.
Its a lot more than just outlook. Take dwarves.. DUE to their being so anti-magical, they can't become mages.. Priests is something else though. Same for halflings. AND GNOMES only have one type of mage they can be, illusionists.. That's not just 'Outlook" restricted...
Halaster Blackcloak wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:06 am Oh, same here! While I removed level limits, I have always used the racial class limitations. But I'm saying that reincarnation should be the exception to the rule because you're taking that person and all his class knowledge - such as how to pick locks, or how to brew a potion - and transplanting it in a new body. But it's the same knowledge/memory/intelligence in that new body, so what would be the logical rational for denying the original class?
The same as i said above.. Certain races, just CAN'T be certain classes.. Not just because of outlook, but something linked to their spirit/soul.. SO WHY then would a say human who got reincarneted into an elf or dwarf, all of a sudden, be able to do something the REST of that race couldn't?
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Garhkal wrote:
What of for animals? Say someone gets reincarnated as a wolf, or eagle? How long do THEY last age wise? IIRC most dogs/wolves live at most 18 or so years.. So what would you grade someone who say was a 30 yr old human, that then got reincarnated into a wolf as??
To be honest, we never dealt with animal ages because it was simply not important enough to bother. Few PCs (relatively speaking) ever had animal followers - usually only rangers or druids - and when they did, it was usually animals such as horses (lifespan 25 to 30 years), dogs (15 years), wolves (8 to 10 years), bears (30-40 years), and other animals with long life spans. So in game time (time as it passes in the campaign world), there was virtually never a campaign that lasted so long that the in-game time hit that limit, if I'm explaining that well. In other words, if the PCs started in the FR in 1385 DR, the in-game time that passed while we played in that campaign, regardless of the level of the PCs attained, did not hit 1405 DR. So the age of the animals never was an issue we even paid the slightest attention to. Usually if an animal follower died, it was in combat. If I ended up using animal options as a reincarnation, I'd say they'd come back as young adults.
I'll give you that.. Maybe that's WHY both the 1e and 2e version of the spell says someone of 'extremely good' alignment, won't get reincarnated into the body of someone GENERALLY evil (IE no LG human coming back as an orc)...
Yep, that's another huge indicator of the point I was making. It's the same "person" coming back, it's just occupying a different body.
Its a lot more than just outlook. Take dwarves.. DUE to their being so anti-magical, they can't become mages.. Priests is something else though. Same for halflings. AND GNOMES only have one type of mage they can be, illusionists.. That's not just 'Outlook" restricted...
Well, let's dissect that using in-game logic. The racial argument doesn't hold water. I'll quote the 2E PHB concerning gnomes:

"Like their cousins the dwarves, gnomes are highly magical resistant. [snip] Gnomes also suffer a 20% chance for failure every time they use any magical item except weapons, armor, shields, illusionist items, and (if the character is a thief) items that duplicate thieving abilities."

And halflings:

"All halfling characters have a high resistance to magical spells..."

Dwarves, gnomes and halflings all gain the exact same bonus to saving throws vs. magic (+1 per each 3.5 pts of CON). They all have the exact same degree of magical resistance.

Gnomes and dwarves suffer the same penalty for using magical items. And yet gnomes can be high level illusionists, whereas dwarves cannot be either magic users or illusionists. Halflings, who do not share their magically resistant cousins' chance of magic item failure, on the other hand, cannot be either magic user or illusionists.

So something does not add up there. The practical results of this innate magical resistance are not in any way consistent or logical.

1. Same resistance to magic for all three races - dwarves, gnomes and halflings - and yet only gnomes can be magic users or illusionists, whereas dwarves and halflings cannot be either.

2. Same resistance to magic for all three races - dwarves, gnomes and halflings - and yet only halflings can use all magic items with impunity, whereas dwarves and gnomes have serious magic item restrictions.

3. All three races can cast clerical magic, so their inherent magic resistance does not always apply.

We can dismiss the clerical magic issue simply because divine magic is granted by the gods, so that trumps any racial issues or magic resistance since it it coming from a deity. So that argument can be dismissed as irrelevant.

But how can three races have the exact same inherent resistance to magic (all 3 gain a +1 vs magic per each 3.5 pts. of CON) and yet only one can cast arcane magic (gnomes), whereas the other two (dwarves and halflings) cannot? How can three races have the exact same inherent resistance to magic and yet only one of them can use any sort of magic item (halflings) while the other two (gnomes and dwarves) suffer magic item failure?

Somewhere in the 1E or 2E rules, it states that halflings cannot be magic users or paladins, etc., because they're simply too lazy and frivolous to do so. Dwarves are too obsessed with physical stuff to concern themselves with magic, etc. I know it's written somewhere but please take my word for it because I really just can't summon the spirit to engage in the drudgery of looking it up. Call me lazy, I'll agree. :lol: I'm just tired as hell today. Bu it's there, somewhere, of that I'm sure because I remember parts of it.

It also makes no sense (the racial argument) because there is also another logical contradiction. If any race was so highly magically resistant that they could not cast spells (arcane magic), then why would they be able to employ certain magic items but not others? Why would a dwarf, for example, not be able to cast invisibility or wear a ring of invisibility, and yet he can wield an axe that turns him invisible? That makes no sense. Why can a halfling (who has the same magic resistance as gnomes and dwarves) use every sort of magic item with no chance of failure, yet not be able to cast any sort of arcane magic, whereas his cousin the gnome - who suffers magic item failure due to the same magic resistance as the halfling - can become an illusionist?

We simply have to - according to the rules of logic - look outside of race as a reason for the racial restrictions. The argument for an inherent physical racial cause as the reason for class restrictions doesn't hold up under scrutiny and the argument is contradictory. And then when we add in the writing (wherever it is - eventually I'll remember where it is) saying that halflings, for example, cannot be magic users because they're too lazy and not serious enough, it's pretty much a done deal.
The same as i said above.. Certain races, just CAN'T be certain classes.. Not just because of outlook, but something linked to their spirit/soul.. SO WHY then would a say human who got reincarneted into an elf or dwarf, all of a sudden, be able to do something the REST of that race couldn't?
Here you just proved my argument, though. If the class restriction is linked to the spirit or soul, then the human (who can be a magic user) who reincarnates as a halfling (who cannot be a magic user) can in fact be a magic user because the soul or spirit is the determining factor, not the physical form. And in this case, it's a human soul or spirit that is simply placed inside a different container, which means he can be a magic user despite being in halfling form. And I would agree with you! :wink: :D

garhkal
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by garhkal »

Halaster Blackcloak wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:10 pm To be honest, we never dealt with animal ages because it was simply not important enough to bother. Few PCs (relatively speaking) ever had animal followers - usually only rangers or druids - and when they did, it was usually animals such as horses (lifespan 25 to 30 years), dogs (15 years), wolves (8 to 10 years), bears (30-40 years), and other animals with long life spans. So in game time (time as it passes in the campaign world), there was virtually never a campaign that lasted so long that the in-game time hit that limit, if I'm explaining that well. In other words, if the PCs started in the FR in 1385 DR, the in-game time that passed while we played in that campaign, regardless of the level of the PCs attained, did not hit 1405 DR. So the age of the animals never was an issue we even paid the slightest attention to. Usually if an animal follower died, it was in combat. If I ended up using animal options as a reincarnation, I'd say they'd come back as young adults.
I've often wondered, IF a ghost appears, does it ONLY age humans/humanoids, or would it also age animals?
Halaster Blackcloak wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:10 pm But how can three races have the exact same inherent resistance to magic (all 3 gain a +1 vs magic per each 3.5 pts. of CON) and yet only one can cast arcane magic (gnomes), whereas the other two (dwarves and halflings) cannot? How can three races have the exact same inherent resistance to magic and yet only one of them can use any sort of magic item (halflings) while the other two (gnomes and dwarves) suffer magic item failure?
because they didn't want all 3 races to be cookie cut outs of one another..
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Garhkal wrote:
I've often wondered, IF a ghost appears, does it ONLY age humans/humanoids, or would it also age animals?
Theoretically, it should affect animals since the effect is supernatural. It would probably be pretty fatal in a lot of cases.
because they didn't want all 3 races to be cookie cut outs of one another..
But that claim doesn't address the logic (or rather lack thereof) of the argument. It might be an excuse - why they did it - but that doesn't address whether or not the argument is logical.

McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

How long does a gragantuan fruit fly live?
garhkal
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by garhkal »

On DF some are discussing 'can reincarnate, let you come back to life, AFTER FAILING YOUR resurrection roll". IE, can it be used as an end run around 'Final death" as gary put it?
McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

I kept laughing at the sphere of annihilation examples and other artifacts. DM has final say no matter what the rules depict. As a player I'll shrug it off no matter what decision is made. I've been at easy tables and hard iron fisted balls tables. Some tables will tell you to shut it or packit and leave and others are more leniant. I think most issues this came up was Tomb of Horrors. That evrn gets brought up as next game and I'm like "Didposable hero mode activated!"

If you lose your soul and are reincarnated as a silly squirrel or w/e you are just an npc squirrel. No memory, no soul... wtf are you? And wish is also trumped? I'd have to be really attached to an alt if such a final destruction was decided by the dm to even bother arguing.

Now some woke edition would use this as some way to put you in a new animal/race/sex/class body and combine skills. What was that called back in the day... munchkinism?

Does this come up often though?
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Garhkal wrote:
On DF some are discussing 'can reincarnate, let you come back to life, AFTER FAILING YOUR resurrection roll". IE, can it be used as an end run around 'Final death" as gary put it?
A tricky question with lots of room for interpretation. I always defer to 1E for these questions since that covers the original intend of AD&D. Under Constitution, it explains the CON limit on resurrections - i.e. if you have a 12 CON at the creation of the character, you can only be raised or resurrected 12 times (pending a successful resurrection survival roll). You simply cannot be raised or resurrected a 13th time. However, it does say (referring to a character with a CON 16):

"The 16th death is final and irrevocable without use of some other magical means such as a wish."

1E PHB, pg. 12

So even that "engraved in stone" rule has an exception. However, under the resurrection survival roll section, it says (if you fail the roll):

"...or the character fails to be revivified and is completely and totally dead forever."

1E PHB, pg. 12

Emphasis mine. Completely, totally and forever dead. I think that's pretty definitively spelled out.

But is it actually as definitively stated as we think it is? Remember, that section is speaking of raise dead and resurrection spells and devices (such as a rod of resurrection) that mimic those two spells. It always refers to being "raised" or "resurrected", never "reincarnated". And we know the CON limit can be exceeded by a wish spell (though in no properly run campaign, and in no way inside the laws of chance, would it ever happen that a single character dies and is raised 16, 12, or even 9 times).

To me, there is a vast difference between raising, resurrecting and reincarnating. As I explained earlier on another post (about reincarnation as different races retaining classes), the CON score of the new body is indeed a new score. The reason you lose CON every time you're raised and resurrected is because the body takes enormous damage each time you die, including cell death while in a state of death. The 1E PHB refers multiple times to "revivification" which literally means "to come alive again" and commonly is used to mean a revitalization process or an influx of new energy. So each death makes the body more essentially damaged and therefore less able to receive new life force. It's like how a dirty old worn shirt won't accept dye as readily and efficiently as a brand new clean shirt. You bring the spirit back into the body, but it doesn't "take" as well, or perhaps doesn't "bond" as well.

With reincarnation, we're bringing the spirit or soul back into an entirely new body. Fresh, clean, unsoiled.

Technically speaking, is using reincarnation a DM workaround for a failed resurrection survival roll? Yes and no. In the 1E Deities & Demigods, it explains (on pgs. 10-11) how and why raise dead and resurrection work by calling back the soul and why there is a different time limit for each one. It doesn't clarify the issue, but it does clear up why raise dead is different than resurrection. Essentially, raise dead calls the soul back before it reaches its destination Outer Plane in the afterlife, whereas resurrection calls back the soul of the deceased after it has arrived in its destination Outer Plane.

While the use of one or the other spell may have religious ramifications, these spells (raise dead, resurrection and reincarnation) do not differ as far as the concept of returning the soul of a deceased person into a living body. The only difference is that with the former two spells, the soul is returned to life in its own previous body, whereas with reincarnation that soul is returned to life in an entirely new body. So for purposes of CON limits, I would say that strictly speaking using rules logic, reincarnation does not affect that limit and that in fact the soul thus reincarnated essentially "restarts" the clock on CON limits. In other words, if the PC had a CON 9 and died three times (thus leaving him with six potential future resurrections), but on that third death was reincarnated instead of raised or resurrected, and the CON of the new body is 12, then he has 12 future opportunities to be raised from the dead. He has a new body subject to a CON limit of times raised. It's not the soul that gets depleted each time someone is brought back, it's the body that fails a bit more with each resurrection until the body has deteriorated to the point where you simply can't breathe life back into it. With a brand new incarnation, that's not an issue. So we reset the CON limit.

So could reincarnation be used to circumvent a failed resurrection survival roll? I'm gonna go with "no", now that I've thought about it. Why? Well, a failed resurrection survival roll would mean, to me, that the deceased either is not willing to come back, or that his deity has decided he (it?) does not want him to go back. What else can explain the mechanic of a failed resurrection survival roll? Actually, going with the info on pg. 10-11 in DDG, we should probably have a separate resurrection survival score for both raise dead and resurrection. But that's a whole new issue. Going back to reincarnation, I'd say no, it does not circumvent a failed resurrection survival roll. The 1E PHB makes it clear that failing the roll means you are "completely, totally and forever dead". That's pretty all-inclusive and adamantly clear in meaning. Since the rules are silent concerning reincarnation being excluded from this prohibition, I'd say the rule applies. I'd even go on a limb to argue that even a wish spell would should not be able to bring back someone who failed a resurrection survival roll, but that it yet another big debate (which I wouldn't mind examining if any of you want to).

So - short answer - no, I'd say that going by the rules, you can't use reincarnation to circumvent a resurrection survival roll failure. I did say "going by the rules". Personally, I would allow it simply because of the "Rule of Cool". It's not very often (hell, in my games it's rarer than hen's teeth and intelligent, sane liberals) that a PC comes back in a totally different body, a different race and yet is still the same person "inside". That offers so much interesting roleplaying and potential issues in the party that I'd be loathe to ignore it in order to obey a rule that isn't even specifically written, but only implied after a lot of mental gymnastics.

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

McDeath wrote:
I kept laughing at the sphere of annihilation examples and other artifacts. DM has final say no matter what the rules depict. As a player I'll shrug it off no matter what decision is made. I've been at easy tables and hard iron fisted balls tables. Some tables will tell you to shut it or packit and leave and others are more leniant. I think most issues this came up was Tomb of Horrors. That evrn gets brought up as next game and I'm like "Didposable hero mode activated!"
Yeah, the DM is the final arbiter. I've always held that rule.
If you lose your soul and are reincarnated as a silly squirrel or w/e you are just an npc squirrel. No memory, no soul... wtf are you?
But you do come back. The PC has the same soul incarnated into a squirrel that has memories of his previous life. I guess he could be a wizard's familiar or a pet, but he really isn't a PC anymore. That's one reason I want to re-write the rule. In its original form, it really isn't worth casting in most cases.
Now some woke edition would use this as some way to put you in a new animal/race/sex/class body and combine skills. What was that called back in the day... munchkinism?
That's what people are arguing at DF - things that aren't even written in the rule, like anthropomorphic raccoons.
Does this come up often though?
Not in my games!

McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

Was it mentzer D&D or somewhere else (perhaps polymorph) that mentioned the target could over time end up with the mind of the animal/monster? I must admit, I haven't read up on these in s long while.
garhkal
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by garhkal »

Halaster Blackcloak wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:05 pmA tricky question with lots of room for interpretation. I always defer to 1E for these questions since that covers the original intend of AD&D. Under Constitution, it explains the CON limit on resurrections - i.e. if you have a 12 CON at the creation of the character, you can only be raised or resurrected 12 times (pending a successful resurrection survival roll). You simply cannot be raised or resurrected a 13th time. However, it does say (referring to a character with a CON 16):

"The 16th death is final and irrevocable without use of some other magical means such as a wish."

1E PHB, pg. 12

So even that "engraved in stone" rule has an exception. However, under the resurrection survival roll section, it says (if you fail the roll):

"...or the character fails to be revivified and is completely and totally dead forever."

1E PHB, pg. 12

Emphasis mine. Completely, totally and forever dead. I think that's pretty definitively spelled out.
Which has been my point. HOW CAN YOU have 'totally dead forever", IF YOU LET ANYTHING AND everything get around it, such as clone, wish, Alternate reality, reincarnation etc... THAT IS NOT totally dead.
Halaster Blackcloak wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:05 pm But is it actually as definitively stated as we think it is? Remember, that section is speaking of raise dead and resurrection spells and devices (such as a rod of resurrection) that mimic those two spells. It always refers to being "raised" or "resurrected", never "reincarnated". And we know the CON limit can be exceeded by a wish spell (though in no properly run campaign, and in no way inside the laws of chance, would it ever happen that a single character dies and is raised 16, 12, or even 9 times).
I think the MOST I have ever seen ONE CHARACTER, raised from the dead, was 3 times in one campaign.. His fourth death was via a disintegration eye beam, so that was it. Most other times, its maybe twice..
Halaster Blackcloak wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:05 pm To me, there is a vast difference between raising, resurrecting and reincarnating. As I explained earlier on another post (about reincarnation as different races retaining classes), the CON score of the new body is indeed a new score. The reason you lose CON every time you're raised and resurrected is because the body takes enormous damage each time you die, including cell death while in a state of death. The 1E PHB refers multiple times to "revivification" which literally means "to come alive again" and commonly is used to mean a revitalization process or an influx of new energy. So each death makes the body more essentially damaged and therefore less able to receive new life force. It's like how a dirty old worn shirt won't accept dye as readily and efficiently as a brand new clean shirt. You bring the spirit back into the body, but it doesn't "take" as well, or perhaps doesn't "bond" as well.
Which i disagree with. The limit is on YOU period.. Whether in your original body, or a new one. That's why it specifies INITIAL con score....
Halaster Blackcloak wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:05 pmSo could reincarnation be used to circumvent a failed resurrection survival roll? I'm gonna go with "no", now that I've thought about it. Why? Well, a failed resurrection survival roll would mean, to me, that the deceased either is not willing to come back, or that his deity has decided he (it?) does not want him to go back. What else can explain the mechanic of a failed resurrection survival roll? Actually, going with the info on pg. 10-11 in DDG, we should probably have a separate resurrection survival score for both raise dead and resurrection.
Would the regular roll be for raise dead, and a LOWER roll, say at 25% penalty, for the other one?
Halaster Blackcloak wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:05 pmGoing back to reincarnation, I'd say no, it does not circumvent a failed resurrection survival roll. The 1E PHB makes it clear that failing the roll means you are "completely, totally and forever dead". That's pretty all-inclusive and adamantly clear in meaning. Since the rules are silent concerning reincarnation being excluded from this prohibition, I'd say the rule applies. I'd even go on a limb to argue that even a wish spell would should not be able to bring back someone who failed a resurrection survival roll, but that it yet another big debate (which I wouldn't mind examining if any of you want to).
Which is my stance too.. When i wrote out the reincarnate spell cards, i flat out made sure EMPHASISED that point, that 'reincarnate does NOT enable one to get around someone who suffered final death, from failing their ressie roll"...
McDeath wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:13 pm Was it mentzer D&D or somewhere else (perhaps polymorph) that mentioned the target could over time end up with the mind of the animal/monster? I must admit, I haven't read up on these in s long while.
That's why in 1e there's that special int check/save, for poly other, to see IF YOUR MIND does shift over and you fully become the animal/monster you got poly'ed into..