1E spells get expensive!

Discussion of OOP 1st & 2nd Edition products and rules, ie TSR AD&D material.

Moderators: Thorn Blackstone, Halaster Blackcloak

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

1E spells get expensive!

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

I was reading the 1ED DMG last night, and I went over the section about hiring spellcasters. Great tail-spine of Orcus! Some of those spells get pricier than I remembered!

Restoration costs 10,000 gp plus 10,000 per level of the recipient. So a 15th level fighter who gets drained a level would have to pay 160,000 gp to be restored to his previous level! :shock:

Compare that to the pathetic 100 gp worth of diamond dust for the same spell in 3E! :roll:

Regenerating a limb will cost 15,000 gp. I also points out that those of non-regular church attendees will pay more, and if the cleric must travel, the price may double. If the travel is risky, the price may be 5 or more times as much.

Meaning that regeneration spell could run as high as 75,000 gp, and the restoration spell for that 15th level character would be 800,000 gp if there was risk involved! :shock:

Wow! I never recall it getting this expensive, but then we never really got those spells often. For 800,000 gp, my character would just wait to re-earn the xp! Yikes!

It was so easy to avoid wealthy PCs in 1E! :twisted:
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!