Favorite Undead / Changing Undead Powers

Discussion of OOP 1st & 2nd Edition products and rules, ie TSR AD&D material.

Moderators: Thorn Blackstone, Halaster Blackcloak

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Favorite Undead / Changing Undead Powers

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

Had a discussion with a player and wanted to open it up here. So first, what are your favorite undead?

My absolute personal favorite undead type is, by far, GHOSTS!

Not only for the spooky factor, but because they're so unique. We have tons of undead that (redundantly - more on this later) drain levels - vampires, wights, spectres, etc. - but only the ghost can magic jar and artificially age. Ghosts are tough because they're hard to turn, hard to harm, they have that fear aura ,and again, they have cool attacks - magic jar and artificial aging. Also, artificial aging is much harder to fix than level drains in AD&D. Makes for more fun and challenging adventures because there's no spell (outside of a full wish) that can reverse 10, 20, 30 years of aging. No magic items either.

Everyone hates level drains. Even though I love the concept of level draining undead and like to use them and the fear it generates in most players, it is a huge pain in the ass because everyone has to stop mid-game to re-adjust hit points, spells known, saving throws, etc. My only real gripe with level drains is that it slows down play severely. Never have figured out a way around that. A shortcut I was thinking of is having players save their old character sheets each time they go up in level (or better, let me the DM hold them) and then when they get drained, just swap out their old sheet for the new level, i.e. a 12th level PC gets hit by a vampire, he puts his 12th level sheet aside, we give him his old PC sheet from when he was 10th level, and just use that. Of course, he'd still have to reference the 12th level sheet for new equipment, but that's a minor issue.

But I think too many undead drain levels. Vampires, spectres, wraiths, wights, skuz, etc. It gets redundant. It's another reason why mummies are my 2nd favorite undead. Tough and unique. Mummy rot.

I was thinking of changing the effects of some level draining undead for my campaigns. I wanted to give vampires 3 attacks (since they move so fast) - 2 claws, one bite with the bite doing level drain. Each claw would do 1d6, the bite maybe 1d8 (since it would be a throat wound).

For the wight, I was thinking of some sort of magically induced disease that causes Dexterity drains until the person cannot move and at Dex 0, the character dies.

For spectres...hmm. I do like their ability to drain levels, I'd probably keep that the same. I like having a ghost-like undead that can drain levels in addition to a corporeal one (vampires).

For wraiths, I was thinking of having them drain larger amounts of hit points - say 1d10 per hit - or perhaps just keeping the 1d6 hp damage per touch, but making that permanent (maybe reversible with heal or restoration?).

I do like skeletons as fodder, because they can drain spells and attacks from the PCs. Zombies should have something better and I'd probably make it some sort of debilitating disease similar to debilitative poison. Ghouls and ghasts are fine - the paralysis effect is awesome and frightening!

So what say you all?
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

As corny as it may sound Skeletons (moldvay) are probably my favorite undead of all time. A close second is zombies (who almost surpass them en masse). And god, third choice is ghouls (its like I'm following the undead charts or something.).
At the edge of madness, he will show no sadness
Never broken, he'll be back for more
Proven under fire, over trench and wire
No fear of death, he's unshakeable
Forged for the war, he's unbreakable
garhkal
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Re: Favorite Undead / Changing Undead Powers

Post by garhkal »

Halaster Blackcloak wrote:Had a discussion with a player and wanted to open it up here. So first, what are your favorite undead?

My absolute personal favorite undead type is, by far, GHOSTS!

Not only for the spooky factor, but because they're so unique. We have tons of undead that (redundantly - more on this later) drain levels - vampires, wights, spectres, etc. - but only the ghost can magic jar and artificially age. Ghosts are tough because they're hard to turn, hard to harm, they have that fear aura ,and again, they have cool attacks - magic jar and artificial aging. Also, artificial aging is much harder to fix than level drains in AD&D. Makes for more fun and challenging adventures because there's no spell (outside of a full wish) that can reverse 10, 20, 30 years of aging. No magic items either.
There's two sources magically, for reversing aging. Elixirs of youth and potions of longevity. THOUGH the latter has that kick back chance..
Halaster Blackcloak wrote:Everyone hates level drains. Even though I love the concept of level draining undead and like to use them and the fear it generates in most players, it is a huge pain in the ass because everyone has to stop mid-game to re-adjust hit points, spells known, saving throws, etc. My only real gripe with level drains is that it slows down play severely. Never have figured out a way around that. A shortcut I was thinking of is having players save their old character sheets each time they go up in level (or better, let me the DM hold them) and then when they get drained, just swap out their old sheet for the new level, i.e. a 12th level PC gets hit by a vampire, he puts his 12th level sheet aside, we give him his old PC sheet from when he was 10th level, and just use that. Of course, he'd still have to reference the 12th level sheet for new equipment, but that's a minor issue.
This is why i track what players got for HP/NWP/WP etc at each level they increase, so when they get hit, i have a handy chart to reference back to, for what they downgrade to..
Halaster Blackcloak wrote:But I think too many undead drain levels. Vampires, spectres, wraiths, wights, skuz, etc. It gets redundant. It's another reason why mummies are my 2nd favorite undead. Tough and unique. Mummy rot.
4 undead that drain out of how many?? I don't think that's "Too many"...
Halaster Blackcloak wrote: For the wight, I was thinking of some sort of magically induced disease that causes Dexterity drains until the person cannot move and at Dex 0, the character dies.
Innovative..
Halaster Blackcloak wrote:For wraiths, I was thinking of having them drain larger amounts of hit points - say 1d10 per hit - or perhaps just keeping the 1d6 hp damage per touch, but making that permanent (maybe reversible with heal or restoration?).
I find players HATE Perma HP loss, MORE than they hate energy drains!!

For me. I've several new undead i've made up.
First up are large skeletons, with 'fires in their chest', but are NOT those "Skeletal warriors".. I call them Kephrinn.. When they get killed, they 'explode, showering flaming bone shards' on anyone in 10ft.. Causing 1d4hp, +1pt of damage PER point of their BASE AC (armor + magic). SHIELDS and DEX doesn't count. Though a bard/thief can try a 'tumbling roll' to avoid the damage..

Second up are Z-throk. Look like ghouls/ghasts, move as fast as ghasts, but rather than paralize, they INFECT you, much like werewolves do.. TO where after the battle, you need to roll % dice, or risk TURNING INTO ONE OF them!!!
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

SSI GOLD BOX and later games had plentiful amounts of RESTORATION scrolls. It doesn't make sense but its there.
Players should log their hp they gained each level. I suppose, they could log saving throws as well if need be. Stats should be logged and I realize this could take a lot of effort and soace. Spreadsheets make this far easier these days.

Save or No Save? I suppose it depends on how devious or deadly a DM wants to be. Its been a while since I've looked but I believe most energy drains have no save. Now you could house rule a save vs death magic to avoid energy drains. If held in a grip each round held is a cumulative -1 penalty vs the attack so break away.

Duration. You ever watch certain cartoons or movies that when the foozle is killed the spirits or energy returns? You could institute this. If these undead are uninjured killing it could restore the energy back as its released at a rate of say 1 level per turn or hour. If it is injured it'll eat that level healing oh 1d8 per level drained. This could be instantaneous or it might have to concentrate to eat the reserves. If its already injured then assume its feeding right then and there.

How is it feeding?
Does a vampire slap your but and BAM a few levels are lost? Or does it have to feed like the movies? Does the wight have to grasp or claw? Now rules lawyers will say it doesn't matter. But maybe the spectre reaches in and grasps your heart. Maybe the wraiths essense bores into you turning that wound partially wraith like as it eats and changes flesh to wraithy undead energy. Yeah, you can make them barely touch you and lift your leveks away i guess.

Does every undead of that type do that? I think there are dragon articles on replacing or adjusting. The living are disturbed greatly by death and undeath. And the feeling from the desd to living is often huner to hatred.

Log your hp. Maybe DM will allow you to reroll hp and if you roll higher you can keep it or maybe not.
Beowulf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Beowulf »

I like Wights for the mid-level campaigns, Vampires for upper level games and the king daddio for BBEG has to be the Lich! :twisted:
RIP E. Gary Gygax- The DM's DM!
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

My current party (average 11th - 13th level) are in a massive dungeon facing a lich. They are not happy! :twisted:

Their shitting their pants now because they just realized the area they're in is infested with a handful of vampires (along with other undead) and the lich has opened a gate to the Negative Elemental Plane, so the dungeon is flooded with negative energy, making it exceedingly difficult to turn undead. :twisted:

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Garhkal wrote:
There's two sources magically, for reversing aging. Elixirs of youth and potions of longevity. THOUGH the latter has that kick back chance..
Exactly my point. :wink: That's all they get to reverse aging. And how effective are those potions, really? Imagine a PC sees a ghost and ages 10 years, then gets touched by the ghost and ages (on average) 20 more years. That's 30 years of aging, which easily puts most characters into a whole new age category where they start losing STR/DEX/CON. The potions reverse on average 3 years or 6 years respectively, and at most 5 years or 12 years, again respectively.

So on average, the PC would age 20-30 years but only regain 3 to 6 years, meaning he's going to be aged (even after taking a potion) by 14 to 27 years. Again, probably going into a new age category. From one hit by the ghost.

Now, unless the DM hands out potions of youth and the like as candy, the potions aren't much help. And there are no spells (with the exception of wish and possibly limited wish) that can reverse the aging. There's also the system shock needed to survive the aging in the first place. And aging brings with it a lot of problems beyond the STR/DEX/CON loss brought on by being aged into a new age category - do people have trouble recognizing the PC? If he left on an adventure at age 18 and came back being aged to 58 years old, well...no one is going to recognize him, which causes all sorts of problems. :twisted:

That's one reason I love ghosts - they're really one of the most devastating undead, hardest to combat, and their effects are the most difficult to reverse or even cope with. Level drain doesn't even compare - a single spell can reverse it, as can simply continuing to adventure - eventually just by doing what he does, the PC regains what he lost (experience). Aging is in a category all its own in terms of character harm and challenge. I wonder if that's why my players always dread ghosts and aging so much? :twisted:
This is why i track what players got for HP/NWP/WP etc at each level they increase, so when they get hit, i have a handy chart to reference back to, for what they downgrade to..
Do you also record spells memorized? I think your method is what I should be doing as well. Makes it a lot easier, and don't ask me why I never thought to do so.

#@

Then again, I don't sweat it too much using a method where when the PC gets drained, and assuming it was from/to a level in which they rolled dice for hp (as opposed to being at a higher level where it's clear how many hp they lose - fighters lose 3 per level above 9th, etc.). As you mentioned though, the WP and NWP are a major pain to figure out unless using the recording method you have. I'd say spells would probably have to be recorded as well, although that's fluid and changes from day to day and level to level so it might not be as helpful in determining spells. What I mean is, if the wizard at a certain level had say four 5th level spells memorized and six 4th level spells, then lost the ability to cast 5th level spells due to level loss, that's not hard to calculate. The problem comes when the PC loses a certain number of 4th level spells - which ones are lost? Roll randomly? And if we just record the spells he had memorized at the level to which he's been drained, that doesn't necessarily mean he's got those spells memorized currently. That's where it gets tedious.
4 undead that drain out of how many?? I don't think that's "Too many"...
I guess "too many" might be a bit of unintentional hyperbole on my part. I mean, sure, 4 out of quite a few (including undead from other MM/MC entries such as undead treants, and skuz and such). Then again, skuz (FR MC) drain levels as well. So that's 5 off the top of my head. What I mean is that I really like monsters to be unique, and having 4 or 5 or 6 undead drain levels - that to me makes some of them redundant, especially since in most cases that's their only power aside from some damage (vampires excepted). Then again, maybe it does make sense that more than one sort of undead drain levels, seeing as they're connected with the Negative Energy Plane. Still, I would love to make wights and wraiths more interesting, not just more of the same level drain.
Innovative..
Glad you like it! :)
I find players HATE Perma HP loss, MORE than they hate energy drains!!
Really? Wow! :shock: Not my players! I think any of them would prefer losing 4 or 5 hp permanently than losing even 1 level to level draining. The wizard might disagree though! :lol:

My players seem to (for the most part over the years with various groups, on average) hate the following in order (starting with the most dreaded - aging)

Artificial Aging
Level Drain
Petrification
Permanent HP Loss
Being polymorphed
For me. I've several new undead i've made up.
First up are large skeletons, with 'fires in their chest', but are NOT those "Skeletal warriors".. I call them Kephrinn.. When they get killed, they 'explode, showering flaming bone shards' on anyone in 10ft.. Causing 1d4hp, +1pt of damage PER point of their BASE AC (armor + magic). SHIELDS and DEX doesn't count. Though a bard/thief can try a 'tumbling roll' to avoid the damage..
I like them! :twisted:
Second up are Z-throk. Look like ghouls/ghasts, move as fast as ghasts, but rather than paralize, they INFECT you, much like werewolves do.. TO where after the battle, you need to roll % dice, or risk TURNING INTO ONE OF them!!!
Oh damn! :shock: :twisted:

Love that idea! Not sure about the name though, sounds a bit sci-fi. Where did the name come from? Oh hell, my players would dread that more than level drain!

By the way, would you like to contribute those z-throk to the ROUII adventure? They would be right at home on the Level of the Damned! :twisted:

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

McDeath wrote:
SSI GOLD BOX and later games had plentiful amounts of RESTORATION scrolls. It doesn't make sense but its there.
Players should log their hp they gained each level. I suppose, they could log saving throws as well if need be. Stats should be logged and I realize this could take a lot of effort and soace. Spreadsheets make this far easier these days.
Yeah, I like that idea you and Garhkal have. Logging the levels would make it a lot less troublesome. The only real stickler problem is handling spell loss. Even logging spells memorized at any given level may not end up being helpful if the PC has different spells memorized at the current level than he did at the level to which he was drained.
Save or No Save? I suppose it depends on how devious or deadly a DM wants to be. Its been a while since I've looked but I believe most energy drains have no save. Now you could house rule a save vs death magic to avoid energy drains. If held in a grip each round held is a cumulative -1 penalty vs the attack so break away.
I utterly DESPISE saving throws for level drain. I feel that it takes away its impact - especially as the PCs gain levels to where they are far more likely than not going to make their saving throw. A fighter at 9th level only has to roll an 8 or higher to avoid the effect - he makes it 65% of the time. At the higher levels he ends up with an 85% chance to save. Not very terrifying to me.
Duration. You ever watch certain cartoons or movies that when the foozle is killed the spirits or energy returns? You could institute this. If these undead are uninjured killing it could restore the energy back as its released at a rate of say 1 level per turn or hour. If it is injured it'll eat that level healing oh 1d8 per level drained. This could be instantaneous or it might have to concentrate to eat the reserves. If its already injured then assume its feeding right then and there.
You lost me there.
How is it feeding?
Does a vampire slap your but and BAM a few levels are lost? Or does it have to feed like the movies? Does the wight have to grasp or claw? Now rules lawyers will say it doesn't matter. But maybe the spectre reaches in and grasps your heart. Maybe the wraiths essense bores into you turning that wound partially wraith like as it eats and changes flesh to wraithy undead energy. Yeah, you can make them barely touch you and lift your leveks away i guess.
I've always ruled that vampires drain with a bite. So if they hit, that means they've grabbed you and planted their fangs for the round, draining blood and levels. With specters and wraiths, I've always thought of it as reaching into a person as you say, and simply sucking out the life force due to the link to the Negative Energy Plane.
Does every undead of that type do that? I think there are dragon articles on replacing or adjusting. The living are disturbed greatly by death and undeath. And the feeling from the desd to living is often huner to hatred.
I think that's why it's important to make undead disturbing. What's worse to most PCs (especially priests and even more so druids) than becoming one of them? That's what I like most about Garhkal's Z-throk. The idea of becoming a ghoul is disturbing to both the player and his character. Likewise, level drain sucks. It really freaking sucks! The player loses months or more of hard work, and his character loses a lot of power and knowledge. It's scary! Same for aging - my god! Good luck fixing it! Young'un goes out adventuring and comes back a doddering old man. The character very well may end up needing to retire. Some very scary shit there, for players and PCs alike. That's why I prefer keeping undead dangerous. The risk of becoming one, added onto the devastating power of their attacks, makes them some of the most dreaded and unique monsters out there. [/u]
Last edited by Halaster Blackcloak on Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

garhkal
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by garhkal »

McDeath wrote:SSI GOLD BOX and later games had plentiful amounts of RESTORATION scrolls. It doesn't make sense but its there.
I do track HP gained each level (same for weapon/non-weapon profs, so if they get drained i can easily just refer to it, to see what they got/lost..
McDeath wrote:Save or No Save? I suppose it depends on how devious or deadly a DM wants to be. Its been a while since I've looked but I believe most energy drains have no save. Now you could house rule a save vs death magic to avoid energy drains. If held in a grip each round held is a cumulative -1 penalty vs the attack so break away.
I vote no save myself..
McDeath wrote:Duration. You ever watch certain cartoons or movies that when the foozle is killed the spirits or energy returns? You could institute this. If these undead are uninjured killing it could restore the energy back as its released at a rate of say 1 level per turn or hour. If it is injured it'll eat that level healing oh 1d8 per level drained. This could be instantaneous or it might have to concentrate to eat the reserves. If its already injured then assume its feeding right then and there.
I suggested that over on DF, if they get in the kill SOON after the draining happens. AND ONLY if the one drained gets in the kill..
Halaster Blackcloak wrote:My current party (average 11th - 13th level) are in a massive dungeon facing a lich. They are not happy! :twisted:

Their shitting their pants now because they just realized the area they're in is infested with a handful of vampires (along with other undead) and the lich has opened a gate to the Negative Elemental Plane, so the dungeon is flooded with negative energy, making it exceedingly difficult to turn undead. :twisted:
Plus shouldn't that much negative energy around, slowly drain the party anyway?
Halaster Blackcloak wrote:Do you also record spells memorized? I think your method is what I should be doing as well. Makes it a lot easier, and don't ask me why I never thought to do so.
For mages, yes. Priests as i let free-cast, just drop spell slots.
Halaster Blackcloak wrote:The problem comes when the PC loses a certain number of 4th level spells - which ones are lost? Roll randomly? And if we just record the spells he had memorized at the level to which he's been drained, that doesn't necessarily mean he's got those spells memorized currently. That's where it gets tedious.
Usually for that case, i just randomly roll it.
But think how worse its gonna be if they drained INTELLIGENCE!
Halaster Blackcloak wrote: Really? Wow! Shocked Not my players! I think any of them would prefer losing 4 or 5 hp permanently than losing even 1 level to level draining. The wizard might disagree though!
Maybe it's just different experience..
Halaster Blackcloak wrote: I like them! Twisted Evil
Thanks. Some of my players HATE them! :evil: :evil:
Halaster Blackcloak wrote: Love that idea! Not sure about the name though, sounds a bit sci-fi. Where did the name come from? Oh hell, my players would dread that more than level drain!
I forgot where i got the name from, but i see it as ok..

And where would you like me to post them??
Halaster Blackcloak wrote: You lost me there.
Mc death is saying, give the players a certain time frame, THAT IF THEY MANAGE to kill the undead who drained them, within. THEY gain some (or all) of the lost energy levels. BUT IF that duration expires, the drains are permanent.
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Garhkal wrote:
Plus shouldn't that much negative energy around, slowly drain the party anyway?
I see you hacked into my laptop and read my gaming notes. :wink: :lol:

Oh, yes it will, and they are just starting to realize that! :twisted:
For mages, yes. Priests as i let free-cast, just drop spell slots.
I've started doing that for priests as well. I find it makes them a lot more fun to play and a lot more useful.
Usually for that case, i just randomly roll it.
But think how worse its gonna be if they drained INTELLIGENCE!
:shock: Yeah, that's a serious hassle! AND...I forgot to add ability score drain to my list of things my players hate. So it would be:

1. Artificial aging
2. Ability score drain
3. Level drain
4. Permanent hit point drain

In that order. Ability score drain is harder to fix (by far) than level drains.
Maybe it's just different experience..
True, every group is going to differ on what they hate most. And a lot depends on the DM. If he's generous with potions of youth and what not, and doesn't enforce the aging rules for age categories or require system shocks, etc, then aging isn't too bad. Or if a DM makes it harder to get a restoration spell, then lost levels suck more.
Thanks. Some of my players HATE them! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
That means you're doing you job well! :twisted:
I forgot where i got the name from, but i see it as ok..

And where would you like me to post them??
You can post them here or at the new forums, or if you want just email them to me and I'll write them into Undermountain and put your name on the credits. :wink:
Mc death is saying, give the players a certain time frame, THAT IF THEY MANAGE to kill the undead who drained them, within. THEY gain some (or all) of the lost energy levels. BUT IF that duration expires, the drains are permanent.
Ah, I see! I was reading that too fast! I don't like that approach though. I think it still waters down the terror of level drain.

garhkal
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by garhkal »

Halster wrote:
I see you hacked into my laptop and read my gaming notes. Wink Laughing

Oh, yes it will, and they are just starting to realize that!
Na. Its just evil minds thinking alike!
I've started doing that for priests as well. I find it makes them a lot more fun to play and a lot more useful.
Exactly. Prior to me doing that, a lot of folks just loaded up on cure wounds spells, becoming just heal-bots. NOW they do a lot more (check my CJ out over on DF!)
Shocked Yeah, that's a serious hassle! AND...I forgot to add ability score drain to my list of things my players hate. So it would be:
You should have seen the look on my players face, the FIRST TIME one of them got hit by a ray of Fatigue, dropping him to SEVERE encumbrance...
True, every group is going to differ on what they hate most. And a lot depends on the DM. If he's generous with potions of youth and what not, and doesn't enforce the aging rules for age categories or require system shocks, etc, then aging isn't too bad. Or if a DM makes it harder to get a restoration spell, then lost levels suck more.
So far they've not used any spells to kick in aging/system shocks. BUT THEY WILL BE COMING!!
Ah, I see! I was reading that too fast! I don't like that approach though. I think it still waters down the terror of level drain.
Not when you see that the monster GAINS that bonus HP that it drained, so is going to be TOUGHER TO DEFEAT...

So for the Z-throk..
Activity cycle:. Any though they do prefer night time.
Number encountered:. d4+1 outside of lair, 4d6 in lair + special.
Area:. Mountains, hills and dungeons. They shun cold lands, but do love making lairs near river banks or along coast lines.
Alignment:. Chaotic Evil!!!
Hit Dice:. 4 to 9 hit dice.
If there are three to five at 4hd in the lair, there will be either two at 5hd, OR one at 6hd leading them.
If there are seven to ten at 4hd in the lair, there will be three at 5 OR two at 6hd, led by one at 7hd.
If there eleven to sixteen at 4hd in the lair, there will be at least five at 5 OR four at 6hd, three at 7hd led by one at 8hd.
If there are seventeen or more at 4hd in the lair, there will be five at 5hd, four at 6hd, three at 7hd, two at 8d, led by one at 9hd.

Intelligence:. Exceptionally intelligent (15-16)
Move:. 15' for those at 4 through 7hd, 18' for those at 8 or 9hd

AC:. 4 and 5hd – AC of 4
6 and 7hd – AC 3
8 and 9hd – 1

Thac0;. 17 for those at 4hd,
15 for those at 5hd
14 for those at 6hd,
13 for those at 7hd
12 for those at 8hd,
11 for those at 9hd

Size:. M (ave 5ft tall)
Attacks:. 3 per round, Claw/Claw/Bite, OR special (see below)
Damage:. 4hd – Claws deal d4+1, bite d6+1
5hd and 6hd – Claws shift to d6+1 and bite to d8+1
7hd and 8hd – Claws shift to d8+2, d10+2 for the bite
and for those at 9hd – Claws shift to d10+3, and d12+3 bite

Special attacks:. Infection, + possible 'class' abilities (see below)
Special defense:. For those at 7 or lower HD, +1 magic is required to strike, +2 for those at 8 or 9hd is required. + See below for others.
Special weaknesses:. Cold attacks do more damage.
Magic resistance:. 0%
Morale:. Champion (15-16)
Treasure:. F lair; W personal
XP:.[/b] 975 (4hd), 1400 (5hd), 2000 (6hd), 3000xp (7hd), 4000xp (8hd), 5000 (9hd)

Description:. Z-throk appear to be similar to Ghasts in general appearance, but since Ghasts lack any stench, there's little at first, to differentiate one from a Z-throk, till up close.

Combat:
Z-throk attack with a claw-claw-bite routine similar to Ghouls and Ghasts, but unlike other undead, their negative plane connection makes their damage dealt into an "Infection" that can convert even living foes into fellow Z-throk, much like Lycanthrops do.
For each point of damage dealt, there is a cumulative 1% chance of a victim turning into a Z-throk. At the end of each battle, you are to make a % roll, to check to see if someone changes. Even if someone Does not change there and then, KEEP TRACK of the % chance they have, as this drops ONLY 2% per day, so they STILL may change later, if they got into another battle with another group of Z-throk.

IF during the battle, OR WITHIN 1 turn after the completion of said battle, someone gets a Cure disease cast by a priest of 8th or higher level, they can reduce that chance down by 25% PER casting.

See below for more info.

Z-throk, due to still being undead, share some of the other undead standard immunities such as phantasm/illusions and charms not working and needing magic weapons to hit (see special defense block), but take extra damage from cold unlike most of their brethren, at the rate of +1 point of damage, PER hit die of damage the attack would have dealt.. Additionally, when making saving throws versus cold based magical attacks, such as a spell of Cone of Cold, or Wall of Ice, they do so with a -2 penalty to their saving throw.
However, they are very resistant towards Fire attacks, which often comes as a MAJOR shock to folks, when they first encounter them. As such, Fire attacks though, heal them rather than damage them at the rate of 1hp healed per D of damage dealt. A fire attack such as flame arrow, wall of fire and the like that has no variable D value for damage, heals the Z-throk for 1hp per 5hp it would have done. Electrical attacks slow them for 1 round + 1 round per D of damage dealt.
LASTLY, They are turned as if they were 2HD higher than they are, so a group of 4hd Z-throk on their own, are turned as if they were 6hd foes. IF THEY ARE led by a higher HD Z-throk, that 'commander' must be turned!

Rolling to see if they Change. If someone DIES to a Z-throk, they WILL CHANGE into another one, within one hour after dying, UNLESS their body gets consumed BY the Z-throk, or gets fully immolated in fire.
IF someone, post combat, FAILS the roll, and gets infected, they change within a certain time frame. Take their Con, and however much UNDER a score of 20 that is, that's how many hours OFF 24 hours, it takes for one to change.
IE if someone is only a 11 con, that is 9 points under 20, so 9 hours come off the 24 hour limit, giving 15 hours. While someone at 16 con, is 4 under, so takes 20 hours to shift.
IF SOMEONE starts the process there are only THREE METHODS TO halt this shift.
A), they must consume a FULL ELIXIR of health within 2 +1d4 rounds, of the change starting.
B) getting a FULL Dose from a pot of Keoghtom's ointment, will allow an Immediate re-roll, at 25% LESS than what they were. IF this fails, they will still turn. AND using this method WILL NEVER Eliminate the chance, there will always be a 1% chance.
And lastly, C) Getting BOTH A remove curse spell, AND a cure disease spell, cast by at least a priest of 11th level.
Failure to do this means he turns.

Turning.
For those who DO Turn. IF they are a Leveled CLASSED Character (whether PC or NPC), they become a 4hd Z-throk, REGARDLESS of what level/HD) they were before hand. HOWEVER THEY KEEP their Current HP limit, till they take enough damage to reduce them to that a 4hd monster has at maximum. This means they won't be able to heal, TILL their HP drops low enough.
THEY DO KEEP ALL KNOWN weapon/non-weapon proficiencies, including specializations, shield/armor proficiency etc, but LOSE Special abilities such as spells, thief or bardic skils and the like. THEY ADDITIONALLY can still stay wearing armor/weaponry or magical devices they had, while alive and use them, THOUGH this doesn't apply to magical items that need to be read (scrolls) or have command words to activate.

Once they've turned, they will keep using their armor/weaponry, only 25% of the time *even if the damage of the weaponry would be MORE than their claw/claw/bite does, preferring to shift over to the natural weaponry that they gain. IF THEY DO keep it, they can only benefit from weapon SPECIALTY they had before hand, NOT MASTERY Or higher.

Habitat:
Z-throk are like many other undead, Shunning being around living beings, and thus generally live in mountainous or hilly/dungeon regions but due to their cold vulnerability, focus mostly on warm and hot climates. They make lairs often in abandoned keeps, towers and caves, and generally store all non magical treasure there. As they potentially can and often wear armor, they generally have lower armor classes than ghouls/ghasts do Also, As they do have hands, they can wear rings and other magical items like most humanoids do and can wear many other items, but are worse than dwarves in that ALL magical items, except for armor, stand a 25% chance of malfunctioning each time used. Items worn are checked for at the intro of combat, and if malfunction do not work for the entire combat. They can never use scrolls, or wands/rods/staves. They CAN though benefit from oils/vials and potions (except potions of polymorph, speed, gaseous form and growth/shrink).

For 'increasing their HD levels, a Z-throk needs to consume flesh. Once they have consumed one hundred HD worth of flesh, they add a HD. As such, most newly Z-throk, will often attack herd animals, mounts or easily slain foes, and fully consume them. This though, does prevent new ones rising.

Diet:
They eat humanoid and animal flesh. They especially like the taste of mules, donkeys and horses.
garhkal
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by garhkal »

So i figured i;d put up all my other undead..
Next
Kephrinn..

Number Appearing: 1d6+1. They do not have lairs so to speak.
Activity cycle: Day
Terrain: Any though areas where skeletons and zombies rest are preferred
Move: 9”
Int: High (12-14)
Alignment: L. 7 to8ft average)
Size: L (
Hit dice: 4+4, to 7+4
# attacks: 1/1 for those at 4 to 6hd,
2/1 for those at 7d.
Damage: d8+ Str for those at 4 and 5hd,
d10+ str for those at 6 and 7hd.
Thac0: 16 Base (modified by Str) for those at 4+4hd,
15 base for those at 5 and 6hd,
13 base for those at 7hd.
AC: 4 (Or 3 with shield) for 4, to 6hd,
2 (or 1 with shield) for those at 7+4hd.
Special attacks: Explodes when killed (see write up)
Special defenses: see below
Magic resistance: 0%
Morale: N/A, similar to Skeletons and Zombies, Kephrinn never need check Morale.
Treasure: Rarely any, but can sometimes(25%) be wielding magical weaponry or shields. Never have lairs so no lair treasure. Some often also wear necklaces, crowns, tiaras or other items of jewelry, which will always have a base value of 400 to 900gp (d6+3x100). Any such items do not need to make item saves to avoid damage, when a Kephrinn dies and 'explodes'.
XP: 1400 for those at 4hd, 2,000 for those at 5hd, 3,000 for those at 6hd, and 4,000 for those at 7hd.

Description:
Kephrinn are specially created large skeletons that have a similar appearance to giant skeletons, with the 'fire in the chest', look but the flames surround their skeletal structure, to the point anyone grappling or brawling with one, suffers d4 damage a round of contact. They often wield large (two handed for humans) spears, or two headed axes and shields (70%/30%). The first known sighting of them, was in defense of a large evil necromancer's tower, but since then, they have sprouted up in many places. Worse, they always roam around, hunting life to slay. They seem to have no known organization, leaders, or the like, neither do they have lairs, though evil priests often command them, and use them as defensive troops.

Combat:
Kephrinn fight with their spear or axe in melee, and delight in targeting elves more than any other humanoid race. If they find a party of adventurers or other travelers and it contains an elf amongst their ranks, they are 40% likely to ignore what ever else is in the party to kill the elf, but if they DON'T go straight for the elves, they will target the biggest threats first (clerics then warriors). Regardless of which of the 'above' two weapons they wield, it does a base d8 damage, + what ever their strength ratings are or base d10 damage for the higher HD ones. On rare occasion, one can be found with a magical weapon or holding magical shields. Unlike zombies or the like, they are not mindless, and will use tactics when attacking. Though they can be tricked into fighting in a line, so when one goes, he showers the neighboring one in flaming bone shards which do damage to each other.
They enjoy the standard skeleton immunities, including the taking half damage from slashing and piercing weaponry, but also require +1 magical weapons to hit them regardless of what hd level they are. Additionally, though they are 4+4 HD; at a base, they are turned as if they were 2hd higher than what they are, for the cleric turning undead chart. So those at 7+4hd, are turned as if 9hd undead.

Lastly, when one of them is killed, they explode showering all within 10ft with fiery bone shards, causing 1d4 damage + the target's BASE armor class (Armor only, no shield or dexterity counted, but magic of armor is). Thieves or bards can attempt a “tumbling NWP check” to avoid this damage. This d4, is regardless of which HD they are.

When encountered their strength is randomly determined by rolling % dice. All Kephrinn in the group will have the same strength.
% roll 1-50 = 16 Str (+1 damage)
51-75% = 17 Str (+1 to hit and damage)
76-90% = 18 no % str (+1 to hit +2 damage)
91-97% = 18/01-50 bracket str (+1 to hit +3 damage)
98-00% = 18/51-75 bracket str (+2 to hit +3 damage)

Note: Add +10% to the above roll for those at 5 and 6hd, and +20% to the roll for those at 7hd.

Ecology:
No one quite knows where Kephrinn came from or how they were created, but they are fearsome opponents, and like all forms of undead they hate living things, but seem to have a special delight in killing elves.

Diet:
Kephrinn do not eat, therefore have no known diet.

Ziem]/b[]

Number Appearing: 1 to 2
Activity cycle: Day
Area encountered: Any, Dungeons especially
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
Intelligence: Ave (9-12)
Move: 18
AC: -2
Hit dice: 9+2
Attacks: 2
Thac0: 8
Damage: D12 (left hand) / 2D8 (right hand)
Special attacks: Energy drain
Special defense: Hit by +2 magic or greater only.
Magic resistance: 25%
Treasure: O
Morale: Fanatic (17-18)
Size: L (ave 8ft tall)
XP: 5,000

Description:
Ziem are some mad necromancer’s creation. They look like clubbed arm humanoids, but have pale complexions.

Combat:
Ziem attack with their 2-clubbed hands, and if they Hit with one hand, and the target fails a save vs death magic, they drain 1 level of experience, like a Wight. If both attacks hit, the target loses 1 level, without a chance to save against it, much like with Wights and Specters. Unlike other forms of undead, The Ziem benefits from these life levels taken from foes, gaining 50% of what hp gets drained from a target, which is used to heal any damage they've sustained. Once they reach their maximum, they cannot go further. So a healthy Ziem gains nothing from these drained levels.
NOTE: Any levels taken because of one hit (that the pc failed a save against), return at the rate of 1 per week. However any levels lost because both attacks struck, are lost for a whole MONTH instead, But see below.
Anyone killed via losing all their levels, cannot be brought back to life, other than via a wish. However, unlike with Wights, Spectres etc, they DO NOT Come back as a Ziem.
If a character, who got drained BY a Ziem, manages to kill said Ziem within 24 hours, -2 hours per level stolen, after being drained by that undead, they make a save vs death for each level they lost to that Ziem. If they make it, they regain that level they lost. If they failed, the loss is Permanent.
IE Jacob, got hit and lost 3 levels by a Ziem. He has 18 (24 – (3x2=6)) hours, to find and slay that Ziem, to try and regain them swiftly, otherwise he's waiting for a minimum of 3 weeks (or 3 months, depending how they were taken).

They can be turned, but are turned as mummies. Similar to all other undead, they are not affected by sleep, charm, hold magic, or by fire and lightning. Holy water does 2D6 points of damage per vial splashed, and a holy symbol damages them like a short sword. Unlike other undead however, Cold does affect them. They suffer -2 on saving throws vs Cold effects, and +2 per die of damage vs cold attacks. And as they have both a working set of eyes, and brain, spells like Light can blind them, Color spray can 'knock them out' and so on. Additionally all illusions WILL work on them. Lastly, even being Touched by any good holy symbol, causes a Ziem, d4 damage, shifting to d6 for lawful good.

Habitat:
Ziem are like many other undead, and will live anywhere. If they do have treasure, it is what they have gathered from fallen enemies. They cannot use any themselves.

Diet:
They eat human flesh.
garhkal
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by garhkal »

Then we have the

Ueavoc
Number appearing: 1d3
Frequency: Very rare
Activity cycle: Any, though are very rarely active during the day
Terrain: Any, except subterranian or acquatic.
Intelligence: Average (8-12)
Alignment: CE
HD: 7
AC: 1
Movement: 8 on the ground, 18 flying (MC c)
Number of attacks: 1
Damage: 2d4 + special
Size: M (4ft in size with 8ft wingspan)
Special Attacks: Darkness 15 radius, temporary energy drain
Special Defenses: See below
Magic Resistance: 0%
Morale: Elite (13-14)
XP: 2000

Description
These bird like undead appear to all who look, like red feathered vultures or other carrion birds. They love eating the flesh of freshly killed creatures, and will do all they can to defend their kill. Strangely, unlike all other undead, regular carrion birds or other animals do NOT shy away from Ueavoc.

Combat
Ueavoc attack with their razor sharp beaks causing 2d4 damage (much like many dogs and wolves do), and if they hit with a 18 or higher on the dice, they cause the target to suffer the loss of 1 life level for 48 hours. In addition, they can call fourth a globe of darkness as the spell, thrice a day. They enjoy all the standard undead imunities, such as to mind affecting spells, poison etc, and also do not have to fear turning. They DO suffer normal damage though from weapons that are not magical, unlike all other undead.

Habits:
Ueavoc (pronounced You-a-vo-K) act in practically all matters like standard carrion birds, but seem to prey more during dusk, dawn and night times as the sunlight does cause them pain (no damage though). They prefer to inhabit large planes and savanas, but can also be found in mountainous regions. You will never though, find them near coast lines, or in caverns/dungeons, which no one has yet found out a reason for.

Diet:
Though they can eat any flesh, they much prefer animal flesh to human(oid).
garhkal
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by garhkal »

And lastly. The Returned mage!! (these guys are nasty from what my player's comments have been)..

Returned mages

Number appearing: 1d3
Activity cycle: Any though night preferred
Terrain: Any though areas where skeletons and zombies rest are preferred
Move: 12”
Alignment: LE, CE, CN and NE
Hit dice: 3 to 9
Intelligence: Exceptional to genius (15 to 18)
# attacks: 1 or spell
Damage: d3 or by spell
Thac0: as mage of equal level
AC: 3 and 4hd AC5, 5 and 6hd AC4, 7hd AC3, 8hd AC2, 9hd AC1
Special attacks: see below
Special defenses: see below
Magic resistance: 0%
Morale: N/A, similar to skeletons and zombies, Returned mages need not check morale.
Treasure: what ever the mage who died had.
XP: 3hd – 270, 4hd – 420, 5hd – 975, 6hd – 1400, 7hd – 2000, 8hd – 3000 and 9hd – 4000.

Description:
Returned mages are mostly evil, or occasionally neutral (chaotic) mages who sold their souls to demons and devils for powers over undead. By making this pact, then sacrificing themselves on a specially created alter, they come back as skeleton looking undead, but with greater magical powers, no where near the level of lich's though. On rare occasion the demon/devil the pact is made with, does NOT uphold their end of the bargain, and the mage just dies, but this is around 1 in 1000 cases..
When the pact is made, the mage spends a full 24 hour period getting themselves purified (or what ever it's called for evil), and memorizing what spells he wishes to retain in his unlife, then he heads to the sacrificial alter. As he lays on the alter, he slits his own throat, and while gurgling out the demon's name (or devils) waits for his body to expire. Once he dies, attendants carefully remove his skin and muscles, and if the demon/devil upholds his end of the bargain, the soul returns and animates the skeleton, infusing it with dark magic.
Returned mages appear like regular skeletons but their hands always glow with a sickly 'color'' green, red, blue or black (roll 1d4 to see which), and the same color determines the color of the flames they have in their eye sockets. They can still wear magical jewelry such as rings, and warn items like cloaks and robes (though not boots or caps/hats), and use magic user specific wands and rods/staves, but are unable to use magical scrolls or other written works. This even applies to protection scrolls.
Once a returned mage dies completely, his soul is off to the demon he mad the pact with, thus resurrection and similar spells will NOT return them to life, though if a resurrection is cast on an active returned mage, it will force an immediate safe or suffer final death (not even the demon gets the soul).
Cause of their powers over undead, all returned mages are capable of casting Animate dead twice a day, even if they were not of sufficient level normally to have cast it. Additionally they only are able to cast what ever spells they had in memory at the time they sacrificed themselves, but these spells automatically renew at the beginning of a new day, no need to spend time memorizing, sleeping or need for a spell book.

Combat:
Returned mages rarely engage in melee, trusting in their spell power to take out enemies, or their horde of animated dead that serve them. If they are out of spell power, they can shoot a small bolt of energy, for d3 damage a round, but their Thac0 will be as that of a mage of equal HD. It has a range equal to a Thrown javelin (20/40/60 ft or yards) but has only a -1 medium range and -3 long range penalty applied to it, and if they miss, the attack won't hit allies.

Special benefits:
Besides the above listed Animate dead, they keep what ever spells they had in memory at time of death, and can cast these as normal spells but do NOT need any form of material component or spell book, though can still be interrupted. This interruption does NOT cause them to lose the spell (like a living mage would), but still stops them completing the spell casting that round, though nothing prevent's them re-trying the following round. All anyone hear's when they are casting, is an 'evil' chattering of the skeleton's teeth.
Also when they cast their 2/day Animate dead they are capable of controlling up to 3hd per level they had in undead, and all undead commanded are turned at 2hd greater than what they normally would (if the returned mage is not present) or AT The returned mage's HD if he is present.

Special defenses:
They are turned at their HD level, not as skeletons. They enjoy most all normal undead immunities, other than those of illusionary nature, they still affect the mage as normal. They require magic items to strike them, needing +1 for 6 or lower HD, and +2 items for those of 7 to 9hd level.

Special weaknesses:
Like all undead, holy water deals damage to them, but instead of the normal 2d6hp on a direct hit or 1d6 for a splash, they take 2d8/1d8.

Habitat:
Returned mages, dwell mostly in caverns, dungeons or long forgotten towers. Often doing something in furtherance of their controlling demon's wishes, but have been known to ally with living beings, such as priests of Agrik.

Diet:
Returned mages have no known diet.
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Awesome! You can never have too many types of undead! :twisted:

I especially like the returned mage! :twisted:

garhkal
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by garhkal »

Thanks. The 2nd time my party faced return mages, they learned a nasty thing about them.. THEIR ABILITY TO REANIMATE the dead! So the battle with 19 skeletons and zombies, ended up being a slog-fest vs 33 of them!! ALL cause both of the Returned mages each used their animate dead power, to reanimate those the party had killed!
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Would love to have seen the looks on their faces! :twisted:

garhkal
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by garhkal »

It gave me goose bumps, seeing the fear they had..
McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

Damn. You know since hal has the tome of monsters for undermountain maybe each holiday we should try to put together our favorite home grown stuff. Id lament this halloween as im house sitting in georgia and all my monsters in paper are in oregon in a file cabinet so i cant dredge up anything.
garhkal
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by garhkal »

Adding two MORE undead!!!

First up, we have Ghoul Lords.. I've adapted this from what was wrote in Ravenloft...
Ghoul Lords
Climate/Terrain: Any
Frequency: Very rare.
Organization: Solitary. (Though see below on their underlings)
Activity cycle: Any, though night is preferred
Intelligence: Exceptionally intelligent (15-16)
Diet: Corpses
Treasure: O x2, P, R, S (Bx2, D)
# appearing: 1 (though see below on 'servants')
Alignment: CE
HD: 6 to 9hd
Move: 15'
AC: 3 (for 6 and 7hd), 2 (for 8 and 9hd)
Thaco: 15 (for 6hd), 13 (for 7 and 8hd), 11 (for 9hd)
# attacks: 3 (claw/claw/bite)
Dam/att: d6/d6/d10
Special attacks: See below
Special defenses: See below
Magic resistance: none
Size: M (6ft tall)
Morale: Champion (15-16)
XP value: 3,000 (6hd) 4,000 (7hd), 5,000 (8hd), 6,000 (9hd)

Many adventurers know of Ghouls and Ghasts, and rightfully fear them. And the life sucking undead are even more feared, but many adventurers who face Ghoul lords find their blood curling, their skin claming up and their will to fight leaving them. So horrible are these foes, its rare to find more than half a dozen per continent, and this is shown by their very rare status. Ghoul lords love lurking deep underground, or on the surface, close to places thick with the stench of death (ie battlefields). Though they feast on fresh flesh, they can also subsist on dead and bloated bodies, eating them even while bugs are doing their 'thing'. It is rare to find them, NOT being served by lesser undead (90% of the time this is a large mixed group of Ghouls and Ghasts, but can rarely also contain wights. They, thankfully though, have no powers over incorporeal undead, or vampires/lichs.

The Ghoul lord looks much like the common Ghoul or Ghast. It retains some semblance of its human form, but its skin has turned the sickly grey of rotting meat, its tongue has grown long and rasped, and its teeth and nails have become sharp and wicked instruments ideal for rending flesh and cracking bone. The Ghoul lord looks so much like a Ghoul that it is 90% likely that it will be mistaken for such a creature even by those familiar with the undead. The true nature of these beasts becomes apparent, however, as soon as they spring into combat.

Ghoul lords can speak the languages they knew prior to their death and transformation into the unread. When commanding their Ghoul and Ghast minions, however, they do not speak, but employ a telepathic like mode of communication, that is in NO WAY linked to psionics or magic. IN fact, even using 'detecting' methods to try and tap into telepathy, won't reveal this mode of communication.
Ghoul lords can control up to 5 times their HD in number of lesser undead (wights, Ghouls and Ghasts) but strangely they can never exert any control over zombies/skeletons, or incorporeal undead. No sages have yet been able to figure out why, and they also are boggled by the fact that even if the Ghoul lord is higher HD than some vampires, they are also not 'higher on the food chain' than the blood suckers are.

Combat
Like Ghouls and Ghasts, the Claws of a Ghoul lord causes paralysis in targets hit who fail a save vs paralyzation, and even elves are affected. Due to the potency of this paralysis, those struck by the CLAWS take a -2 penalty to their saving throws to avoid it. Elves though suffer only a -1 penalty. Those failing their save, are paralyzed for 6+1d6 rounds. Biting does not cause paralysis. HOWEVER, it has its own issues....
Rather than potentially cause paralysis, the Ghoul lord's bite, however, stands a chance of causing a wasting disease/curse in their victims. For each point of damage dealt by their bite, there is a 1% cumulative chance that the target contracts this disease (roll after each battle, the % resets by the end of the day), AND KEEP TRACK OF BITE damage separate from all other damage!). Note: Even a Paladin's protection from diseases does not protect them against this.
For those who DO succumb to this “virus”, they will lose a point of Constitution, each and every ODD day, and a point of Charisma every EVEN day till the “Virus” is arrested, by the application of BOTH a Remove Curse, followed by a Cure disease. Each has to be cast by the SAME priest, of at least 7th level.
If someone does not get cured, before their Constitution OR Charisma drop to 0, they die, and will arise as a Ghast, under the command of the Ghoul lord who slayed them. It takes only 1 hour, after dying in this manner, for the turning to occur, and only fully immolating the body, then sprinkling two full vials of holy water, will prevent it.

Once the disease is arrested by those 2 spells, the victim's Constitution, will return at the rate of one point per day of FULL bed rest. However, their lost Charisma will only return, IF they make a successful save versus Poison. If made it likewise, returns at the rate of one point a day, but there is no bed rest requirement.
IF this save is failed, they still regain SOME of the lost Charisma, but only HALF of it, and only one point returns EACH WEEK, not each day.

Anyone killed via just being clawed to death, will Still rise as an undead, but there's only a 25% chance it will be as a Ghast. The other 75% of the time, it will be as a Ghoul. And it takes one full day for this to occur.

Like other undead of their ilk, Ghoul lords are immune to the effects of sleep and charm spells. They are not harmed by holy water or contact with holy symbols, but can be turned as if they are of 2hd higher than what they are (So a 7hd Ghoul lord is turned as a 9hd creature). Ghoul lords weapons either forged of pure iron, or of at least +1 magical enchantment. A circle of protection has no effect on these creatures unless cold iron is used in its casting. Even then, the Ghoul lord has a 10% chance per round of overcoming the effects of the spell and striking freely at those allegedly protected by it.

Ghoul lords do not radiate the foul odor associated with Ghasts, but they do fairly reek of evil. In fact, this effect is so potent that those of good alignment suffer a -4 on all attack rolls when within 30 feet of these creatures, unless they make a wisdom roll on 4d6 (they must roll under their wisdom score). This replaces the normal "roll under stat on a D20" for attribute checks. Additionally, anyone using spells or items to 'Detect Evil' will be blinded by the potency of a Ghoul lord's evilness, for one full round after they tried to detect.

For their Controlling of lesser undead, as mentioned above in the intro area, they can control/claim lordship over 5 times their HD in a # of lesser undead (Generally Ghouls and Ghasts), with a usual # being 3 to 6 Ghasts (d4+2), and 12-24 Ghouls (4d4+8).

Habitat/society
The Ghoul lord is a foul creature indeed. The only saving grace for humanity is their rarity. They tends to dwell in isolated places rife with the odor of death; graveyards and ruins are its favorite haunts, but they also like living near large battlefields (one where more than 200 people died). Some sages have hypothesized that this is cause there is a specific level of bodies needed to support a Ghoul lord, though no one has been able to prove this yet.
And no one has even found out how Ghoul lords came into being.
They can live/ be found in any lands, from mountains, to swamps, to island chains, even deserts. However, they generally avoid living on tundra or ice flows, cause rarely do those spots have the desired level of stench of death to draw them in.
They can consume most any humanoid (and even monster) flesh, such as umber hulks, scorpions/spiders and hook horrors. But for some reason, Ghoul lords cannot eat avian creatures, even monsters like Chimera, Manticores and Hippgriffs.. This also applies to 'avian' humanoid races such as Averials.
Sages have postulated this is cause of some sort of spiritual link to angles, but that's never been proven in any way. When they kill humanoids (especially humans and demi-humans), there is a 80% chance the body gets consumed, either by the Ghoul lord OR his companions. If not, they leave the body, to rise as one of their ilk.

Ghoul lords always have a following of lesser undead with them. These minions act under telepathic command from the Ghoul lord and are absolute in their loyalty to him. Though they may dislike being in sunlight, there is no actual pain or weakening of their powers when exposed to sunlight.
Then we have Cendai Ghasts. SPELL CASTING ONES!!! (make those PC Paladins fear!). These i made specific to my home made realm, but they COULD be used in any realm.
Cendai Ghast
Climate/Terrain: Any
Frequency: Very rare.
Organization: Group
Activity cycle: Any, though night is preferred
Intelligence: Exceptionally intelligent (15-16)
Diet: Corpses
Treasure: O x2, P, R, S (Bx2, D)
# appearing: 1
Alignment: LE
HD: 7, 8, 9 or 10hd
Move: 18'
AC: 0 for those @ 7 or 8hd, -2 for those @ 9 or 10hd
Thaco: 12 for those @ 7hd, 10 for those @ 8 or 9hd, 8 for those @ 10hd
# attacks: 3 (claw/claw/bite)
Dam/att: d6/d6/d10
Special attacks: See below
Special defenses: See below
Magic resistance: none
Size: M (6ft tall)
Morale: N/A See below.
XP value: 7hd – 6,000xp, 8hd – 7,000xp, 9hd – 8,000xp, 10hd – 9,000xp

Cendai Ghasts are so rare, that most folk think they died out before the Cataclysm on Kaloom. They were known to be former priests of Agrik, and some times other evil deities, who WILLINGL let themselves get turned into Ghasts, but they wind up becoming something much worse.

Combat
Like ghouls and ghasts, the claws of a Cendai Ghast causes paralysis in targets hit who fail a save vs paralyzation, and even elves are affected. Due to the potency of this paralysis, those struck by the claws take a -3 penalty to their saving throws to avoid it. Even elves, who are normally resistant to Ghouls, suffer a -2 to this save. Non-elves who fail, are paralyzed for 5+3d6 rounds, while elves are only paralyzed for 4+2d4 rounds

Those who are killed by Cendai Ghasts, stand NO chance of being raised from the dead, such is the perversion of their souls, and even the mightiest Resurrection spells, have a flat 30% chance of not even working.

Cendai Ghasts, retain a # of their former priestly powers. Roll 1d8, on a 1-3, they retain their ability to Command undead, and Turn Paladins. Such is the potency of their turn, that They actually reduce the # needed to turn a paladin by 1 (so a 9 TN normally, would be a 8). On a 4-7 they retain their spell casting capacity they had in their former priesthood life, but all cure spells become “Cause”. On a result of 8, they retain Both their ability to cast spells and command undead/turn paladins.

Like other undead of their ilk, Cendai Ghasts are immune to the effects of sleep and charm spells, and even gain resistance versus Slow spells. They are not harmed by holy water or contact with holy symbols,but can be turned at their HD. Additionally, they require magical weapons of at least +2 enchantment, to affect them. They however DO have some weaknesses. They suffer a -2 save penalty versus spells that cause blindness (including Sun-Scorch), and take an additional point of damage PER d, from cold based spells or other magical attacks. If the attack mode does not have a flat 'd' value listed (IE it causes a flat say 20hp of damage), a Cendai Ghast takes 25% more damage from it.

Habitat/society
Cendai Ghasts often have skulls carved into minor shrines to what ever evil deity they worshiped in life, centered in the haven they've taken over, and made their ghoul barrow. They will always have at least 7 Ghouls and 4 Ghasts in attendance (5+2d6 Ghouls, and 3+1d8 Ghasts). Half of this group will always be sent out to patrol to bring back food, the rest to help guard the lair. One of the Ghasts they 'keep back', are always 'specially upgraded', to being a 6hd Greater Ghast (who inc their damage from d4/d8 to d5/d10).
Cendai Ghasts can often use magical items that priests could, even scrolls, but can't wear armor or use magical weaponry. So any of these items found on those they kill, often get 'sacrificed' on their alters.
McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

That's better than what I made back in the days. I had lame names like

Magic Zombie
Power Ghouls
Bone Lords

One of these days if I ever get my crap out of storage I'll post my lame o mobs. You know, I had been doing that for like 35 years since I was 10. I was making mobs but they were scattered and I'd rewrite them here and there. I wish I had my ancient writings on the original crud. Wish I would have taken photography too oh well.

When you destroy the old papers and write on new, it changes it a bit.
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Spell casting Cendai ghasts! Cruel and fun! :twisted:

There are only two things I had a question about...

First, why wouldn't they take damage from holy water? I'd have a hard time justifying undead not being harmed by holy water. And where it says:
take an additional point of damage PER d, from cold based spells or other magical attacks
Did you mean all magical attacks or only cold based magical attacks?

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

I'll add an entry...the kindertoten from Halaster's Tome of Monsters:

http://www.undermountain.org/halmonster9.html

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

McDeath wrote:Damn. You know since hal has the tome of monsters for undermountain maybe each holiday we should try to put together our favorite home grown stuff. Id lament this halloween as im house sitting in georgia and all my monsters in paper are in oregon in a file cabinet so i cant dredge up anything.
You know, we should do this every Halloween, like a tradition!

garhkal
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by garhkal »

Halaster Blackcloak wrote:Spell casting Cendai ghasts! Cruel and fun! :twisted:

There are only two things I had a question about...

First, why wouldn't they take damage from holy water? I'd have a hard time justifying undead not being harmed by holy water. And where it says:
IMO its more to do with their "More evil priests" than actual undead, leading to that.
Halaster Blackcloak wrote:
take an additional point of damage PER d, from cold based spells or other magical attacks
Did you mean all magical attacks or only cold based magical attacks?
They take +1hp per HD of damage caused by magical COLD spells, or magical COLD attacks *such as dragon breath..