Re-writing The Temple of Elemental Evil

Discussion of OOP 1st & 2nd Edition products and rules, ie TSR AD&D material.

Moderators: Thorn Blackstone, Halaster Blackcloak

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Re-writing The Temple of Elemental Evil

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

There are three AD&D projects I currently work on when it comes to writing, and one of them I'm addressing in this thread. But to sum up the three things I'm working on...

First, my semi-regular game. I have just one player at this point, but it's become quite a fun campaign none the less. It usually takes me a few weeks to write the adventure and a few months to play it (due to time restrictions, etc). Once the game is written, it provides months of entertainment at that rate.

Second, the continual and ongoing work on Ruins of Undermountain III: The Deadly Levels. I'm always making notes, and now I'm trying to keep in touch with the subject matter at least every week or so. As I mentioned in another thread, it becomes difficult to write when I'm away from the material for weeks or months at a time because then I have 200+ pages to re-read (or at least scan) to get me back up to speed as far as where I am and where I'm heading.

Third, and this is the subject of this thread, is when I am in the mood to write, already have a game ready and being played in my semi-regular campaign, but don't have the time/energy/desire to read through 200+ pages of Ruins of Undermountain III: The Deadly Levels. In this situation I've found that writing something else just for the fun of writing really ramps up my creativity and desire to work on the BIP Project. Sometimes I have to take a break and work on something different just to keep my brain fresh.

So, with that in mind...

I've been working on a complete re-write of The Temple of Elemental Evil. :shock: I like the original, but it didn't focus enough on elemental evil for my tastes. It seemed a bit, well, random or disjointed. Not sure how to say what I mean. It's as if the module was written in parts and then joined together like a flesh golem. The monsters seem randomly determined (worg wolves and lamia in the dungeon, really?). I also didn't think that Zuggtmoy and Iuz were the best choices for a temple dedicated to elemental evil.

My plan is to make the temple more truly elemental-oriented, and a bit more coherent and logical. I felt the original had a bit too much of the 1E "random dungeon" design approach and wanted more of the 2E "logical dungeon design" approach. What I envisioned when I first saw the cover of Temple of Elemental Evil and what it actually turned out to be were two different things. I wanted a version of the latter.

I've always been fascinated with the Princes of Elemental Evil that first appeared in the Fiend Folio (what a great tome!). I thought they would make better major villains for such a titled work, as would the Elder Elemental God (as the mastermind behind it all). So I decided to re-write the Temple of Elemental Evil to my own liking, using the Elder Elemental God as the main villain who is manipulating the Princes of Elemental Evil into serving a major role in his plans. I re-wrote the history of the creation of the universe in AD&D terms as a starting point, then went into the plot behind the temple. So far, it's become a lot of fun to write.

Now...is anyone interested in hearing the details? :twisted:
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

Beowulf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Beowulf »

It sounds pretty interesting. I don't have that book in my collection, either. :oops:
RIP E. Gary Gygax- The DM's DM!
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Thanks! It's a must-have. I can send you a pdf of the original. It's around 19MB. Here's what I have written for the revision so far...

Temple of Elemental Evil

In the beginning, there was a single god known as the Greater (or Elder) Elemental God. It had no name, and existed in a state of one-ness. Eventually it dissociated itself, forming the various Elemental Planes and Energy Planes. Over time, the Elemental Planes and Energy Planes, where they touched, formed the many Para-Elemental and Quasi-Elemental Planes. All these in turn coalesced to form the Prime Material Plane, their energies being bound to the Prime Material Plane via the spontaneous creation of the Ethereal Plane.

At this time, the major Pantheons of the Greater Gods existed solely in the Astral Plane. They were at this point beings of pure thought and energy. They had no ethos or areas of interest as yet, as there was no physical universe in which to interfere. Once the Prime Material Plane came into existence, the Pantheons of Greater Gods connected their Astral Plane to the Prime Material Plane, created countless life forms and formalized amongst themselves certain values or moral/ethics that would later correspond to the alignments of the Outer Planes. The process of creation gave the Pantheons of Greater Gods more power, as their followers created belief/energy on which the Greater Gods fed.

The Elder Elemental God, being utterly mad and beyond alignment, desired to have power over all the planes – the Inner, Outer, Astral, Ethereal, and Prime Material Planes. Seeing the Pantheons of Greater Gods as usurpers, the Elder Elemental God went to war with the other gods. Many gods perished in that universe-shaking war. In the end, unable to destroy the Elder Elemental God, the Pantheons of Greater Gods expended a large amount of their life energy to contain it, locking it in a hidden demi-plane at the heart/nexus of the Elemental Planes. However, its power could not be totally contained. The Elder Elemental God was still able to project power into the Prime Material Plane (and other planes) to some extent. Due to the obscene, insane nature (by mortal standards) of the Elder Elemental God, it had few worshippers. It did, however, manage to generate enough followers to keep its influence felt across countless worlds.

Over long millennia, the Elder Elemental God has plotted to escape its prison. In recent times, it came up with a plan. By reaching out to the most powerful inhabitants of the various Elemental Planes, it hopes to manifest the means of escaping imprisonment. The Elder Elemental God has ordered its followers to build a great temple dedicated to elemental evil. It has recruited the Princes of Elemental Evil (Cryonax, Imix, Ogremoch, Olhydra, and Yan-C-Bin - see FF and PS: MC III) to create powerful gates to the various Elemental Planes. The Elder Elemental God wants the Princes to create these gates so that they can flood the Prime Material Plane with pure elemental forces. This will destroy the Prime Material Plane and extend the realms of the various Elemental Planes, giving the Princes ever more power.

Unbeknownst to the Princes, the Elder Elemental God is lying – opening those gates will not only destroy the Prime Material Plane, it will also cause the various Elemental Planes to merge with one another, causing the entire universe to collapse into chaos and be destroyed while freeing the Elder Elemental God. The death of all followers of the Pantheon of Greater Gods will weaken those gods enough that the Elder Elemental God will be able to destroy them. Then it will re-create the universe in its own mad image.

The Temple of Elemental Evil has been erected at the foot of the Endless Mountains just north of the Great Kingdom of Nyrond, in a remote area. The temple is run by crazed priests of the Elder Elemental God. Various dungeon levels are linked to the Elemental Planes and appropriate monsters appear in each gate/area along with priests of the various Elemental Planes. Powerful humanoid guards work for the priests of the Elder Elemental God to protect the temple itself.

Mira
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Mira »

The Temple of Elemental Evil has been redone for 5E with some interesting ideas, splitting out Temples for each of the elements and such. Not worth getting the details really, but this is the description from when they announced the product.

Four apocalyptic cults of Elemental Evil are building secret sanctuaries and outposts throughout the North, bringing terror and destruction to the Forgotten Realms. Each cult is devoted to one of the Princes of Elemental Evil (godlike entities embodying air, earth, fire, and water) and is led by a nihilistic prophet, corrupted by power. The cruel elf princess Aerisi Kalinoth speaks for the air Cult of the Howling Hatred, while Marlos Urnrayle, a fierce male medusa, leads the Cult of the Black Earth. The Cult of the Eternal Flame scars its followers at the behest of the beautiful and deadly tiefling Vanifer, and the mutilated sailor Gar Shatterkeel plots to drown the world with his Cult of the Crushing Wave.

The cults use devastation orbs, forged of raw elemental power, to ravage Faerûn with horrifying earthquakes, typhoons, tornados, and other disasters. Independently, the cults are terrible adversaries, but now they have secretly begun transforming a long-lost dungeon into a huge subterranean temple dedicated to an alien entity known as the Elder Elemental Eye. To prevent this union of the Elemental Evils into one catastrophic force, heroes must expose the prophets’ true agenda. The cults’ agents are everywhere and their power is immense.

When you don’t know whom to trust, knowledge is your only weapon. Unearth the Deception.

Mira (Music weaves a glamour that delights the soul)
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

See, there's so much potential for ToEE! Didn't they re-do it back in 3E and/or 4E as well? Or I think the 3E product was Return to the ToEE? It's like the eternal adventure! :D

Mira
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Mira »

Yes, it's been redone a few times. The original was set in Greyhawk after all, so they at least had to make a Forgotten Realms version.

Mira (A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. Of course, so does falling down a flight of stairs.)