Deities & Demigods - the best AD&D book ever?

Discussion of OOP 1st & 2nd Edition products and rules, ie TSR AD&D material.

Moderators: Thorn Blackstone, Halaster Blackcloak

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Deities & Demigods - the best AD&D book ever?

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

I recently picked up (for the first time) a copy of the 1E Legends & Lore hardcover. It's essentially a reprint of Deities & Demigods minus the Chtulhu and Melnibone mythos. (I know, second printings of DDG lacked those pantheons as well - I have 1st & 2nd printings).

Anyway, I was reading through it to see if I could spot any other differences (I didn't), and it reminded me of just how much I love Deities & Demigods. What an awesome book!

I enjoy reading it just for fun, more so than any other AD&D book. It's so fun reading all the bizarre powers and quirks each god has...

Priests of Tlaloc must sacrifice (and then cook and eat! :shock: ) babies as part of their worship of Tlaloc.

No being in the universe can engage in an act of violence against Kuan Yin.

No being who has not recently slept for 13 hours can attack Untamo, because they will fall asleep in his presence.

Jormungandr is 25,000 miles long :shock: (that's beyond gargantuan size!) and regenerates all damage taken in the previous rounds, meaning he cannot be killed (he has infinite hit points).

I love reading that stuff!

And it makes clerics so much more fun! I despise the idea of a generic cleric. There was a huge debate once on DF, and I (or someone very much like me! :wink: :lol: ) pointed out how impossible it is to have a generic cleric. Or at least nonsensical. So Deities & Demigods made clerics fun - each one served a different god and had different requirements and abilities. So cool!

And of course, the book created so many adventure ideas in my head. Totally inspiring!

I never used DDG as a MM. The idea of mortals fighting gods, let alone killing them, is utter bullshit in my games. I love to give funny examples of battles between gods and mortals, but perhaps the most succinct would be (for example in a battle between Odin and a group of twelve 20th level PCs):

Round 1: Odin says "You're all dead".

There is no Round 2.

Even as a kid I never understood people who used it as a MM. The gods are not monsters, they're gods!

#@

But yeah, I just love Deities & Demigods!
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

Beowulf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Beowulf »

I agree! Great book. 8)
RIP E. Gary Gygax- The DM's DM!
Mira
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Mira »

One of the best things about 2E was when they did the specialty priests. I totally agree, clerics of different gods should NOT be the same. I still prefer the 1E druid though.

And yes, Gods can't be slain by mere mortals that easily. Most of them have teleport no error at will, how can you kill something when they have that? If they ever get hurt to the point where they might die in another blow, they can just pop out.

The main thing I loved about DDG was learning about mythology that I wasn't familiar with already.

Mira (Latest survey shows that 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the world's population)
Beowulf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Beowulf »

Specialty priests is one of the best additions to the game! In my campaigns the clerics of each god have specific spells, powers and abilities. It makes no sense for clerics of a god of healing to have the same exact spells and powers as those of a goddess of war.
McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

One of the artists was trying to kickstarter a project by redrawing most of his art and selling them as prints. I really hoped he would draw other mythos and expand the others.

There ae a few monsters usable in DDG but not many.

I mentioned it on DF here Jeff Dee Art

But direct link is here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/je ... -and-demig

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/je ... ngeons-and

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/je ... ngs-part-1

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/je ... ngs-part-2

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/je ... ies-and-de

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/je ... -and-demig
Beowulf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Beowulf »

That's awesome! I hope he gets the funds he needs to make it happen. 8)
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Mira wrote:
One of the best things about 2E was when they did the specialty priests. I totally agree, clerics of different gods should NOT be the same. I still prefer the 1E druid though.
Hell yeah, 1E druids are probably my all time favorite class from any edition!
And yes, Gods can't be slain by mere mortals that easily. Most of them have teleport no error at will, how can you kill something when they have that? If they ever get hurt to the point where they might die in another blow, they can just pop out.
Exactly! That and the fact that they always win initiative, know what mortals are thinking, and can summon any sort of servants needed to deal with the mortals just blows away any hope mortals have. Mess with Odin? Have fun getting to him when he summons several hundred pissed off valkyrie to handle his grunt work. :shock: :lol:
The main thing I loved about DDG was learning about mythology that I wasn't familiar with already.
Absolutely! That's what makes it such fun reading.

Tawnos76
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Tawnos76 »

Does anyone have a PDF of the printing of Deities and Demigods that has the
the Cthulhu Mythos and Morrcock Melnibone pantheons in it.
Should have 128 pages to it
IXOYE
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

I have it. I'll upload it right now.

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Tawnos76
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Tawnos76 »

Halaster Blackcloak wrote:Here ya go...

http://www.undermountain.org/Deities-Demigods.pdf
Thank you very much.
IXOYE
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

You're very welcome. The later printings really felt like they were missing a lot when those 3 groups (Cthulhu, Elric, Newhon) were taken out.