Dust in the wind

Discussion of OOP 1st & 2nd Edition products and rules, ie TSR AD&D material.

Moderators: Thorn Blackstone, Halaster Blackcloak

McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Dust in the wind

Post by McDeath »

Where the hell is everyone?

Btw, anyone have the prototype and old maps of the project?

He'll secret email me the stuff so I can at least look at it.

Banemcdeath@gmail.com
slade88green
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by slade88green »

Been slow around here for a long time now. I'm not sure what point the project is at, but I would love to help in any way possible.
Tawnos76
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Tawnos76 »

Would not mind if anyone needs any playtesting as I am about to get a group going again
IXOYE
Beowulf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Beowulf »

I just got back from a 10 day road trip & vacation! First time I have been able to check in.
RIP E. Gary Gygax- The DM's DM!
McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

I still wonder if Varl or halaster are alive. It's like undermountain devoured them. Maybe those levels ate too dangerous.
At the edge of madness, he will show no sadness
Never broken, he'll be back for more
Proven under fire, over trench and wire
No fear of death, he's unshakeable
Forged for the war, he's unbreakable
Mira
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Mira »

Either that or the levels are so tricky they can defeat even good mapping skills. Even an archmage can get lost! :)

Mira (You can always find what you are not looking for)
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

Oh, I'm lost in the sub-level trust me! Wait till everyone sees the nightmarish sub-level I created for this release! Put it this way...whoever is assigned to map the damned place will simply drop a fireball on himself or hurl himself into the nearest sphere of annihilation before trying to even begin mapping it. :twisted:
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

Beowulf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Beowulf »

I'm glad to see you're still at it! Eventually I hope things settle down for me to the point where I can get a gaming group again.
RIP E. Gary Gygax- The DM's DM!
McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

Funny about mapping. As DM no one ever wanted to so I shrugged and let them be lost. As a player it was always me. My problem is I tried to map as a DM rather than a player. I mean what is the best mapping theory and application for player? Boxes and lines like mapping a text adventure? Graph and hex? 3-quarter view like say ravens oft map or say diablo hack crpg? Or connect the dots? Maybe artsy first person perspective masterpiece (which would take forever.... Designing a computer rpg or something).

I suppose now days its surface pro computer or something.
At the edge of madness, he will show no sadness
Never broken, he'll be back for more
Proven under fire, over trench and wire
No fear of death, he's unshakeable
Forged for the war, he's unbreakable
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

I've always enjoyed the standard square boxes for buildings and interiors, and hexes for outdoors. I'm having a problem with my latest campaign. I try running an adventure for one player, but haven't been able to play since last June. :shock: :cry: #@

Anyway, I had an inspiration for a simple, short adventure. Problem is, it involves giants. It's so hard to make makes with buildings of giant-size (frost giants in this case) and have them fit the Battlemat. It's a real PITA. I wish I had a Battlemat that covered an entire 8' x 4' table. It's very difficult to map large areas. Has anyone ever discovered an easier way to handle that?

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

I love those almost 3D maps that 2E Ravenloft had, but that did make it a pain to put onto a flat map. Since the miniatures really only move about on one dimension, that made it hard. Looked great though!

Mira
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Mira »

My husband is currently using Fantasy Grounds (a virtual tabletop) and a flat screen TV laid on it's back (with a plexiglass shield for protection, connected to his laptop. He can use maps and add grids if they don't have them already and because of scrolling, size isn't a limitation.

Unfortunately, this setup is kind of expensive. It IS portable, but not easily since the 40" TV is kind of awkward. It is lightweight though.

If you want to go full virtual, there's roll20.net, no cost to play, I think there might be a minimal cost for some DM features, but it is possible to play games there at no cost. Again you can use your own images for maps.

Fog of war is present in both, so you uncover the map as you explore. Virtual avatars CAN be done in both, they are required in roll20, but the TV (or projector) setup with Fantasy Grounds allows for real miniatures. (we did try a projector at one point, but you have to raise it pretty high to get one inch squares done well)

There also ARE mats that will cover a table of that size, but they aren't cheap :)

http://www.amazon.com/Chessex-Role-Play ... 975&sr=8-6

Mira (Two wrongs are only the beginning)
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Mira, how do you get the flat-screen to lay flat? Even flat-screen tvs have some unevenness in back, don't they? Is it even safe (for the tv set) to do that? I'd be afraid of breaking it.

Oh, I have GOT TO get that giant sized battlemat! Would have to use a piece of plywood on the carpeted floor to use it, but man that would make life easier!

Mira
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Mira »

Today's flat screens are very light weight, the whole TV is only about 3 inches thick. We have it on small risers, so it's above the surface a bit, didn't want any spills to impact it. The risers are higher on one side to make the TV lay level.

Jon has carried it to several conventions now and it has yet to see any damage, there's really more risk when moving it than there is when using it.

Mira (Earth is the insane asylum for the universe)
garhkal
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by garhkal »

Mira wrote:Today's flat screens are very light weight, the whole TV is only about 3 inches thick. We have it on small risers, so it's above the surface a bit, didn't want any spills to impact it. The risers are higher on one side to make the TV lay level.

Jon has carried it to several conventions now and it has yet to see any damage, there's really more risk when moving it than there is when using it.

Mira (Earth is the insane asylum for the universe)
So true. As a con goer myself, i see all those big screen tvs used in those bridge simulator games, and wonder how often they get one cracking...
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
Tawnos76
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Tawnos76 »

I could never get into virtual RPGing or over the net games. I miss the full interaction between the players too much.

I just got a Spelljammer group together and it has so far been 4 sessions in and I am so glad I stuck with AD&D.

I did hear they want to bring it back in 5th but leave out most of the good parts (no Dark Sun, Krynn, and a few other areas and it will mostly be Forgotten Realms only) Seems a loss to me to cut it back so much.
IXOYE
McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

I always wanted to go to game cons but just usually didn’t have the time nor funds.

Awesome about the spelljammer campaign. My stuff is in storage but I think I have all the basic spelljammer products (except minus). Back in the day there were so many websites for spelljammer. I guess beyond the moons still exists. Webring is basically been cast into MtNet Doom.

I played some online via DF forums in the day. Broccoli Rage modified the gates of slaughter guard to 2.5 AD&D.

Now days I just can’t get into much. Even if I had online for my laptop (I live in dead zone and that computer is my only one now so it’s offline... I access online via smartphone that somehow gets a weak signal) I don’t think I could muster the mental stamina to play.

Maybe this 4g waves is making me tired. Maybe I’ve pondered cultural religions and many philosophies too much (its draining). And maybe my health isn’t so great. (I’m going to try gnc supplements for weight training and cardio as well as superbeets and Carnivora.
garhkal
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by garhkal »

Tawnos76 wrote:I could never get into virtual RPGing or over the net games. I miss the full interaction between the players too much.

I just got a Spelljammer group together and it has so far been 4 sessions in and I am so glad I stuck with AD&D.

I did hear they want to bring it back in 5th but leave out most of the good parts (no Dark Sun, Krynn, and a few other areas and it will mostly be Forgotten Realms only) Seems a loss to me to cut it back so much.
Pity you live all the way out in CA. Its been decades since i gamed Spelljammer..
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

It should be area neutral focusing mainly on the Spelljammer, sphere creation, the Phlogiston, ships, maybe Rock of Bral, the races, and maybe more detail on ancient ways, and a new main hub unrelated to any other.

I’d say they should include planar travel like the article in voidjamming, the astral, even the inner planes.