5th edition differences

Discussion of OOP 1st & 2nd Edition products and rules, ie TSR AD&D material.

Moderators: Thorn Blackstone, Halaster Blackcloak

Tawnos76
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

5th edition differences

Post by Tawnos76 »

I found this to be interesting. I am still sticking with my 2ed as it will always be my first love but it is a well done comparison
http://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/ ... -2e-and-5e
IXOYE
Beowulf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Beowulf »

Thanks, that's a great read!
RIP E. Gary Gygax- The DM's DM!
Mira
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Mira »

Nice details on the similarities and differences, more than I was willing to go into before :)

They didn't mention removal of the Attacks of Opportunity except when trying to move away from a person without using Disengage, which I think is huge. It's possible to play 5E without a mat and miniatures for the most part, unless someone has taken some of the OPTIONAL feats (the presence of feats is completely optional) that require it. Positioning simply isn't that important in 5E, pretty much how it was in 1E and 2E.

Mira (CS Lewis Fan: I'd love to visit Narnia. Tolkien Fan: I'd love to visit Middle-Earth. George RR Martin Fan: Nope, I'm good!)
McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

I'll look for free downloads instead of buying. I'll stick with a odd& through 3.5 home brew ruleset taking the best of all. I like the art even pathfinder and products but I'm poor. I can't afford this stuff anymore.

I agree 5e looks 3e lite.
At the edge of madness, he will show no sadness
Never broken, he'll be back for more
Proven under fire, over trench and wire
No fear of death, he's unshakeable
Forged for the war, he's unbreakable
McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

To be honest, it sounds like crap to me. Yet another attempt at reinventing the wheel. Feats, healing surges, etc. Yuck. If WOTC had any integrity, they'd stick with a single edition for more than a few years. 3E, 3.5E, 4E, 5E...all out within 14 years (2000 - 2014). That's an average of one every 3.5 years. By comparison, 1E lasted 12 years (1977-1989), and 2E lasted 11 years (1989-2000). Either one of those editions alone lasted almost as long as 3E, 3.5E, 4E and 5E combined.

But then again, they need new stuff every few years to peddle to suckers who will keep buying the same recycled garbage over, and over, and over again.

Bah. I'll stick with 1E/2E.
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

There are tons of retroclones upon clones as well. They you have other systems. I heard Palladium made a huge goof and may sink. Eh... I hardly buy products these days. Tools to create are fine but tbh, I don’t have the space for print objects. I am down to a cot and a small table for space (so laptop and eating). The rest is in storage in a clogged hoarding room in my parents house. I live on the property and live out each day in a boring routine trying not to unsettle my current sevurity and funds. I wonder how long I will maintain peace, health, and sanity.

This phone gets more live than anything. Now that I have property taxes secure for the year I can focus on health products. I get so damn tired and muscles and joints are always in injury recovery.
At the edge of madness, he will show no sadness
Never broken, he'll be back for more
Proven under fire, over trench and wire
No fear of death, he's unshakeable
Forged for the war, he's unbreakable
Beowulf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Beowulf »

I'm really only interested in 1E and 2E. Although anything Palladium does might catch my eye as well.
RIP E. Gary Gygax- The DM's DM!
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

McDeath wrote:
There are tons of retroclones upon clones as well. They you have other systems.
To me, they're all nothing more than ego-stroking attempts to re-invent the wheel. None come close to the original. I never have been able to understand the lemming-like drive to collect a new edition every 2-3 years. Seems like a lot of money spent on continual downgrades.
I get so damn tired and muscles and joints are always in injury recovery.
Two fantastic supplements that are both safe and effective are curcumin (you have to get the BCM 95 concentrated form) and tart cherry extract. Both help with muscles pain, inflammation, etc. Life Extension sells them both:

http://www.lifeextension.com/Vitamins-S ... CherryPURE

http://www.lifeextension.com/Vitamins-S ... o-Curcumin

There's another great one I've used by Terry Naturally - it's also got DLPA and boswellia which help a lot with pain:

https://www.terrynaturallyvitamins.com/curamin/
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!