Forgotten/Lost Combat Rule?

Discussion of OOP 1st & 2nd Edition products and rules, ie TSR AD&D material.

Moderators: Thorn Blackstone, Halaster Blackcloak

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Forgotten/Lost Combat Rule?

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

Just by sheer chance, I had turned to a page in the 1E DMG (pg. 228), and found, under "Melee" the following:

"Melee - Combat with hand-held weapons between more than two figures. This is distinguished from list combat, which is between two opponents, and missile combat, which is at a distance and involves thrown or propelled weapons."

"List" combat? :? I've never seen this before, and probably never noticed it until yesterday. It seems to be referring to older, Chainmail style war-gaming rules, I assume. Has anyone else ever come across "list combat" mentioned elsewhere?
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

Beowulf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Beowulf »

I don't remember reading that either. Have to reread the old books again...
RIP E. Gary Gygax- The DM's DM!
Mira
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Mira »

Pretty sure I never saw anything about it either.

Hazarding a guess as to what it IS, I think it refers to jousting. I do remember the word list being involved with it, as you 'move up the lists' as you keep winning.

But that is just a guess, I suspect you are correct about it just being a left over from an earlier game that wasn't caught in the editing.
garhkal
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Re:

Post by garhkal »

Mira wrote: Fri May 09, 2014 6:12 am Pretty sure I never saw anything about it either.

Hazarding a guess as to what it IS, I think it refers to jousting. I do remember the word list being involved with it, as you 'move up the lists' as you keep winning.

But that is just a guess, I suspect you are correct about it just being a left over from an earlier game that wasn't caught in the editing.
The lists was the term for the area for jousting..
It's not who you kill, but how they die!