Handling cocky players

Discussion of OOP 1st & 2nd Edition products and rules, ie TSR AD&D material.

Moderators: Thorn Blackstone, Halaster Blackcloak

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Handling cocky players

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

Just had a discussion with someone about hysterical things that have happened to cocky players in my campaign(s). You know the type, players (usually rules lawyers) who think they can get around anything the DM throws at them. :roll:

Had a challenge once from a rival gaming group. They thought they could defeat my campaigns and run roughshod over it. I challenged them to try.

The wizard, played by a spectacularly cocky little %$#*@, encountered an iron golem that was strategically placed near a large water fountain that was 25' across and 20' deep. The wizard said he'd cast stoneskin and was going to go toe-to-toe with the iron golem. "Damned iron golem can hit me all he wants, I can go 10 rounds without suffering damage."

Ok. :twisted:

The wizard gets up close and I forget what he was trying to do to the golem (some sort of wand attack, maybe it was a wand or rust or something). Well, the golem won initiative, and it simply bear-hugged the wizard, then dove into the fountain. They sank to the bottom, the iron golem hugging the wizard tightly, laying on top of him.

Cocky Player: "So what? It can't hurt me, even if it tries to crush me."

Me: "True. But you're at the bottom of a 20' deep pool of water with 5,000 lbs. of animated steel laying on top of you.You have a Strength of 8, which means you'd be hard pressed to lift its hand alone, much less its entire bulk. What's your CON score? Because stoneskin doesn't give you the ability to breathe water, and the iron golem seems quite content to just cuddle with you for a few hours. Does anyone know your next of kin?"

:twisted:

Just so show what a cruel bastard I can be, once the wizard drowned and the stoneskin spell wore off, the iron golem stomped all over him, sorta like how they mash grapes with their feet in Italy. And the wizard did indeed look like crushed grapes after a few rounds. Boy did that water turn red and cloudy! No raise dead for him!

Anyone else have a similar story to share?
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

Beowulf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Beowulf »

Hahaha! Some people have to learn the hard way that you aren't going to "beat" the DM! :twisted:
RIP E. Gary Gygax- The DM's DM!
Tarrax Ironwolf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Tarrax Ironwolf »

I would of never thought to do a hug attack like that. Well played good sir! Well played indeed!
"We played Dungeons & Dragons for three hours! Then I was slain by an elf." -- Homer Simpson

Dragynn (My new AD&D gaming blog)
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Thanks Tarrax! Yeah, I can be creative and sneaky when I need to. :twisted:

garhkal
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by garhkal »

I loved reading this story!! Good work!
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Who else has some? :twisted: