Circle of power - 30'. No, 5' radius. Ok, which one is it?

Discussion of OOP 1st & 2nd Edition products and rules, ie TSR AD&D material.

Moderators: Thorn Blackstone, Halaster Blackcloak

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Circle of power - 30'. No, 5' radius. Ok, which one is it?

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

I rarely have paladins in my game, and I forget how I adjudicated it, but there is a discrepancy between what is written in the DMG and what is written in the PHB regarding a paladin wielding a holy avenger sword.

In the PHB, it says:

"A paladin using a holy sword projects a circle of power 30' in diameter when the sword is unsheathed and held. This power dispels hostile magic at a level up to the paladin's experience level."

But in the DMG, it says:

"In the hands of a paladin, however, it creates a magic resistance of 50% in a 5' radius, dispels magic in a 5' radius at the level of magic use equal to the experience level of the paladin..."

Well, a 5' radius does not equal a 30' diameter unless you're using Cthulian geometry! :shock:

A 30' diameter seems a bit huge to me, and I always thought the DMG trumped the PHB as far as details on weapons and what not go. So I believe we always used the 5' radius thing, which is still a pretty good sized area. It's basically a 10' diameter circle.

How have the rest of you handled this?
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

Tarrax Ironwolf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Tarrax Ironwolf »

I've always ruled it thusly...

When the paladin has the Holy Avenger unsheathed and held, the weapon grants the 30' diameter of protection. This means no other action but solely concentrating his/her faith into sword. The iconic image of paladin raising the sword above their head destroying everything evil around him/her and protecting those who take refuge within the circle of protection.

If the paladin wishes to forego concentration and attack instead, the circle then shrinks down to a 5' radius. Enough to protect him/herself and those closely near him. A deities way of enhancing the paladin faith further.
"We played Dungeons & Dragons for three hours! Then I was slain by an elf." -- Homer Simpson

Dragynn (My new AD&D gaming blog)
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

I like that interpretation! :D
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!