Infinite planes? Really?

Discussion of OOP 1st & 2nd Edition products and rules, ie TSR AD&D material.

Moderators: Thorn Blackstone, Halaster Blackcloak

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Infinite planes? Really?

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

Ok, according to the rules as written, each of the Elemental Planes is infinite in size. So how can the quasi- and para- planes exist? If the Elemental Plane of Fire and the Elemental Plane of Water are both infinite, then they have no "ends" that can touch and form the Para-Elemental Plane of Steam, for example.

Hmm. Anyone wanna tackle this? :?
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

Beowulf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Beowulf »

I think they're infinite but oriented in "planes" located in a hypothetical fourth dimension. Infinite but they intersect at points. That's actually how quantum physicists theorize the universe might actually work (ie 'brane theory for "membranes").
RIP E. Gary Gygax- The DM's DM!
Tarrax Ironwolf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Tarrax Ironwolf »

I agree with Beowulf on the brane theory. While infinite in their own dimension, each are their own. I was watching Through the Wormhole and they were tackling the reason why we experience déjà vu. They theorize that we have multiple dimensions of our universe floating in this vastness, and when two membranes come close enough to each other, if not actually touching for a single infinitesimal moment in time, we experience a moment that has and has not happened. Hence the feeling. Crazy sounding? Yes, but damn if it don't make for some awesome possibilities.
"We played Dungeons & Dragons for three hours! Then I was slain by an elf." -- Homer Simpson

Dragynn (My new AD&D gaming blog)
Beowulf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Beowulf »

Reading about quantum mechanics can give a person a lot of great fantasy ideas! The truth may be stranger than fiction! 8)
Mira
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Mira »

Quantum mechanics: The dreams stuff is made of.
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

I came across a mention of another way the planes are set up, in the Planescape MC Vol. III book. (pg 116 under the wavefire entry). Interesting! The Plane fo Fire touched the Plane of Water, causing a hot Para-Plane of Steam, etc. Might be fun to tinker with the planes!
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

Beowulf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Beowulf »

Yeah, room for cool effects. Also good opportunities to re-imagine how planar travel might work. I read once that the ancient Irish felt that there were two worlds, ours and a spirit world. The veil that separates the two is thinnest in old lonely places like bogs and mountain tops. That makes sense to me and is filed away for future D&D use. 8)