Magic resistance - 1st Edition or 2nd Edition rules?

Discussion of OOP 1st & 2nd Edition products and rules, ie TSR AD&D material.

Moderators: Thorn Blackstone, Halaster Blackcloak

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Magic resistance - 1st Edition or 2nd Edition rules?

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

When it comes to magic resistance, it was a graduated scale in 1E (based on 11th level, and you added or subtracted the difference in levels between the caster and the opponent to modify the MR up or down).

In 2E it was a set percentage, regardless of caster level.

Which do you prefer? I'm fond of both methods and I'm not sure which I prefer more, although I think I prefer the fixed method of 2E more, because at high levels in 1E, things like dragons are too easily affected by magic when facing high level spellcasters.

What do the rest of you think?
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

Tarrax Ironwolf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Tarrax Ironwolf »

I do see what you mean in your example of dragon vs. high level caster, but then wouldn't it give the dragon a little slap in the face and realize that its not as invulnerable as it once thought? It also gives credence to the stories where dragons serve a human and the whole "Wait. I thought dragons were suppose to be most fearsome creature around? How can a magic user command one through fear alone?" theory.

I can see both having a working point. If you're game is static on magic where it's in concrete and regardless of what level you are, you aren't going to punch your way through to it.

Then the high level approach of 'I've been doing this for years and have honed my skills through constant usage and research. I have knowledge on how to create the perfect spell and actually puncture through that blasted resistance and give that creature what for.'

Maybe using the second edition percentage score and then using first edition level vs. level approach as a +/- percentage modifier.
"We played Dungeons & Dragons for three hours! Then I was slain by an elf." -- Homer Simpson

Dragynn (My new AD&D gaming blog)
Mira
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Mira »

I'm more in favor of treating MR as the MR vs 1st level spells, then reducing it by 5% for each level of spell it is above first. That gives a reason to use those high level spells to get past it rather than Magic Missile.

Mira (Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?)
Tawnos76
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Tawnos76 »

Tarrax Ironwolf wrote:
Maybe using the second edition percentage score and then using first edition level vs. level approach as a +/- percentage modifier.
I like this. A way to combine the two might be the better approach.
IXOYE
garhkal
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Re: Magic resistance - 1st Edition or 2nd Edition rules?

Post by garhkal »

I've always preferred the 1e version, where the caster level modifies.. BUT i also think the monsters should have had a higher starting MR for some critters.
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Over the years, I've drifted strongly towards the 2E (fixed level) method. It just seemed to make it too easy for wizards to defeat powerful monsters single-handedly when they can reduce the MR of their opponent.

garhkal
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by garhkal »

Thinking about this some more, maybe some monsters (like dragons and demons), GO BY 2e's system, while other monsters who have MR, go by 1e's system...
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

That might be a perfect solutions. At least very powerful and highly magical monsters like demons and dragons would enjoy fixed MR, while lesser beings with MR would use the 1E method.