How many of you currently have a gaming group?

Discussion of OOP 1st & 2nd Edition products and rules, ie TSR AD&D material.

Moderators: Thorn Blackstone, Halaster Blackcloak

How many of you currently have a group that plays AD&D?

Poll ended at Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:27 am

I do! We play regularly.
17%
I have a group that meets sporadically.
17%
Nothing regular but I still get some old school gaming in!
17%
No, no current group! Nothing on the horizon.
50%

Total votes: 6

Beowulf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

How many of you currently have a gaming group?

Post by Beowulf »

Just curious what percentage of the folks here have an active group playing some form of real AD&D. And by that I would say 1E or 2E. Of course, regular D&D is also good.

Right now I'm pretty busy with school- been working towards my degree for around 4 years with at least one more to go (sadly, as a card-carrying grown up I can't always do 18 credit hours per semester). That and a full time job makes it impractical to do a regular group.

Of course, another reality is that real AD&D has been OOP for many, many years now. There are less and less adherents to the original games every year. So we can fish in a rapidly shrinking pool or try to entice new gamers into the fold. For my own part I keep at least half a dozen copies of the 2E Players Guide on hand just for any nOObs I might be able to recruit.

What say you all? Gaming right now or not so much?
RIP E. Gary Gygax- The DM's DM!
slade88green
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by slade88green »

I do have a group that plays from time to time, but it is 3.5 Its the system the other players learned so thats what they like to play. I still have a desire to play 2nd ed sometimes, but its not real likely to happen. I DM most of the time and have changed things enough so its not the easy game 3.5 is meant to be, It has a more 2nd ed feel.
Beowulf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Beowulf »

I hasten to add that when/if life returns to "normal" for me I hope to get another campaign going.
RIP E. Gary Gygax- The DM's DM!
Tarrax Ironwolf
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Tarrax Ironwolf »

Alas, I do not have a gaming group any more. I unfortunately had to move and it would be too far of a drive for a game of gaming with my group. But the plus side is my kids are showing extreme interest in playing, now if I can get myself back into the DM'ing groove again.
"We played Dungeons & Dragons for three hours! Then I was slain by an elf." -- Homer Simpson

Dragynn (My new AD&D gaming blog)
Mira
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Mira »

Been playtesting D&D Next, there's still a lot of areas that need work, but the basic premise is much like 1E in it's simplicity. 3E and 4E are crap as far as I'm concerned, but Next has potential. Might be TOO simple if you were heavily into 2E's options though :D

They have been running this at D&D Encounters, which is held in many game stores. If you happen to have one nearby that has D&D Encounters, it might be worth checking it out. I never bothered with 3E and 4E, but Next has been pretty fun :)
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

I have two "groups". Each consists of me and one player. One is an old school player who was part of my infamous Taladas campaign for a decade or more. I think he joined in '96? We still try to play a few times a year. Campaign is still alive, albeit in stasis from time to time.

The other is a new player, new to AD&D (though familiar with genre computer games). We started a new homebrew world and have gotten in our first adventure, which went well. I'm writing the next one up as we speak. So to speak. LOL!

The hardest part is just trying to find downtime and coordinating schedules.
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!