Running out of monsters?

Discussion of OOP 1st & 2nd Edition products and rules, ie TSR AD&D material.

Moderators: Thorn Blackstone, Halaster Blackcloak

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Running out of monsters?

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

I just realized something odd. Monsters in AD&D are like superheroes in comics. After all these decades, it's very difficult to create original new ones that are interesting or, well...new! In both cases (AD&D monsters and superheroes), just about every conceivable power or ability has been used, and variants of so many of them (giants, dragons) abound that it's really difficult to create interesting, original new ones.

I'm looking over the monster list for RoUIII and it's just incredible that we were able to assemble so many new ones, that are very different from anything that's come before. But it's getting very hard to come up with new ones.

Has anyone else run into this? And hell, sometimes I create a new one thinking it doesn't exist, only to discover it exists in some supplement I never read! :shock: #@

The same thing applies for magical items. Damn is it getting hard to create new ones! :?
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

Yeah, originality is a pain. If you were to scoure every game/suppliment and computer sofware program + books and stories out there you'd be hard pressed. Sometimes the most one can do is convert to their favorite format and other times that rare sparkle strikes and you nail it. BAM!
At the edge of madness, he will show no sadness
Never broken, he'll be back for more
Proven under fire, over trench and wire
No fear of death, he's unshakeable
Forged for the war, he's unbreakable
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

What's bothering me about it is that while I have plenty of original new monsters for RoUIII (which I still hope we can get out, but Doiche is MIA right now), I'd still want to have at least another dozen or so new ones for RoUIV. At this point, coming up with even one is a major accomplishment!
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

Varl
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by Varl »

As for new monsters, well to put it simply, I'm a thief. I cheat and steal. Why rack one's brain trying to invent the new when you can convert the newest? I wouldn't recommend this for a commercial product or a product like RouM due to the inevitable panty twisting that would result, but I enjoy converting a lot of d20 creatures to 2e stats. There are some truly cool creatures in some of those monster books despite the funky stat blocks, such as one of my favorites, the Varag. It's basically a huge humanoids that runs on all fours, and runs fast! It's the perfect lapdog/guardian for hobgoblins. Think Murlock from the movie Time Machine (2002), and you have a Varag. :twisted:

As for new magic items, again, I'm a rogue. I steal any ideas I find for my game and use them. I don't really do much of that anymore due to the incredible number of magic items available in the Magic Encyclopedias. More than I'll ever need or use. :D
Tired of clone MMOs? So are we!
http://trialsofascension.com/
Algolei
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Algolei »

I always end up just modifying already existing critters.
Mira
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Mira »

I've never really worried about it, I've created many new critters, some have been named the same in other supplements as I would find out later, but I didn't care, I used them how I made them in the first place :)

In my longest running game, I had drow that were very different from the books, mostly because I'd run across the concept way before the books detailed them in D&D terms. (yes, the game started before the old Giants series and such) I liked using my drow as foes since they could have classes and were clever with items, which always disintegrated in sunlight :D This meant I could go nuts with magic items and powers, knowing the PCs could not use them for long.

I have been inspired by many outside sources, but usually created my own version of things. I put in a bow inspired by the bow used by Hank the ranger from the D&D cartoon, but it didn't have all the abilities his did. I had intelligent weapons with drawbacks, and since I made magic items very hard to make (most had been created before and during the Age of Chaos) PCs couldn't really make them without removing themselves from the game for a really long time.

Role-Aids had a lot of great books that 'reinvented' standard monsters, trolls had sub-races with different cultures and such, goblins, orcs and kobolds, standard D&D monsters, had skills and abilities beyond the Monster Manual.

People knew that in my game, you couldn't count on anything the Monster books said, I made them consistent within my game, but not with the books ;)

Mira (It was recently discovered that research causes cancer in rats)