Mapping Programs

Discussion of OOP 1st & 2nd Edition products and rules, ie TSR AD&D material.

Moderators: Thorn Blackstone, Halaster Blackcloak

Tawnos76
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Mapping Programs

Post by Tawnos76 »

Which mapping programs are the best to use.

I have:
Dungeon Crafter 1
Dungeon Crafter 3
Campaign Cartographer 3 (still learning)

The Dungeon Crafter 3 seems easiest but it is lacking in a lot of functions and it has no text capabilities. It is freeware but still needs more functions.

I am trying to map out my Dungeon for my module.
IXOYE
Doirche

Post by Doirche »

CC3 with the Dungeon Designer 3 add-on is by far the best mapping software available. I personally use Adobe Illustrator to make the maps for the RoUMIII project, but the learning curve is steep.

Just my .02
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

I think if I had to learn a mapping program, I'd kill myself. #@

I'm sticking to drawing them by hand.
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

Varl
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by Varl »

Doirche is right about CC3. It, with all its addons, to me is the best mapping program out there, but its learning curve is also steep. Once you know the primary object manipulation commands, it becomes a lot easier, and like everything else, the more you practice, the better you become and more fluent you become in its use.
Tired of clone MMOs? So are we!
http://trialsofascension.com/
Doirche

Post by Doirche »

I also agree with Varl. If you have ever used photo manipulation software (i.e. Photoshop) then CC3 is your best choice, but the learning curve is kinda steep. CC3 as well as Adobe products use "layers" to construct the images but as soon as you get that concept down you will quickly become a master of map making.... Also, CC3 has some awesome video tutorials on how to use the program so check them out. I made a short tutorial on how to use Adobe Illustrator to make "Undermountain" style maps for the people on the RoUMIII development team and I hoped it helped some folks out.

Programs like CC3 are better for the "everyday and even advanced user" because it already incorporates many symbols and graphics that are commonly used in generating maps whereas with Illustrator you have to create everything by hand and is useful with assholes like Halaster who are so demanding when it comes to attention to detail..... /Doirche hides from Halaster. #@

Oh and for the record, I own legit copies of CC3, DD3, and the awesome CD3. City Designer 3 is the bomb diggity IMO.
Varl
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by Varl »

Yeah. City Designer 3 is an amazing city creating program. I'd give CC3 the crown if it came with third party support and objects created by fans on the same level Dundjinni is given. I literally have thousands upon thousands of fan-generated art objects from their forums that can be inserted directly into Dundjinni. CC3, unfortunately, doesn't have anywhere near that level of customization to my knowledge. If it did though, it clearly would be King.

I find CC3 is more suited to wide campaign maps, overall perspectives of a region or geographic feature whereas Dundjinni is superior when it comes to "zoomed in" local adventuring locations such as tombs, individual dungeon rooms, forest clearings, abandoned homes, random encounter locales, that kind of thing.
Tired of clone MMOs? So are we!
http://trialsofascension.com/
McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

No love for MSpaint that come with windows 98SE?
At the edge of madness, he will show no sadness
Never broken, he'll be back for more
Proven under fire, over trench and wire
No fear of death, he's unshakeable
Forged for the war, he's unbreakable
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

Doirche wrote:
is useful with assholes like Halaster who are so demanding when it comes to attention to detail..... /Doirche hides from Halaster
Just for that, I'm adding about 2,000 miles of tunnels and hallways to Level 8! :twisted: :P :wink:
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!