John Wick, FTW???

Discussion of OOP 1st & 2nd Edition products and rules, ie TSR AD&D material.

Moderators: Thorn Blackstone, Halaster Blackcloak

McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

John Wick, FTW???

Post by McDeath »

I never heard of him until this thread came out talking about some youtube entries of his:

DF Topic - Oh my God! John Wick got mad at me!

Evidently, he is a game designer who created Legend of the Five Rings and some other games. Some say he hates D&D in all of its forms; I don't know as it takes forever to even see part of a youtube video on dialup.

I did find his entry about having players make a dungeon for a DC to be pretty odd. What surprise is there if the players know what to expect, more or less, in a dungeon constructed this way. I KNOW! Let's have everyone else out there create ROUIII & IV. Yeah, that'll work. :roll:

John Wick youtube Video
At the edge of madness, he will show no sadness
Never broken, he'll be back for more
Proven under fire, over trench and wire
No fear of death, he's unshakeable
Forged for the war, he's unbreakable
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

Leave it to the crowd at DF to fight over a video! :roll:

I watched it about 3/4ths of the way through and got bored to death. I finally closed it and said "Moron". Have the players design the adventure? What drugs is he on? :roll:
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

Varl
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by Varl »

I watched part of this a while back, and got bored very quickly, and laughed at his idea to have the party write the adventure as they go. Yeah, I think we can all safely predict what happens when players are given the reins over their own fortunes and fates... :wink:
Tired of clone MMOs? So are we!
http://trialsofascension.com/
McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

Here's my solution:

Tell them to take out their 1st edition (for simplicity sake) PHB, DMG, MM (MMII & FF for completion) and run their own single-player randomly generated dungeon. Then I'd say, "You do realized if you wanted to do that you could just stay at home and do it. No need to waste my time with such poppy-cock ideas at my DMing Table."

I only watched about 2 minutes of the video as it takes too damn long on dialup. Total BLEH of an idea IMHO.
At the edge of madness, he will show no sadness
Never broken, he'll be back for more
Proven under fire, over trench and wire
No fear of death, he's unshakeable
Forged for the war, he's unbreakable
Zherbus
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Zherbus »

The guy is trying to reinvent the wheel because some cavemen are trying to move it side-over-side, while the rest of us are rotating it on an axle.
Algolei
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Algolei »

I don't understand how you can play in a dungeon you've made, and then only give the DM a few chances to modify it. Wouldn't it be more fun to play through a published module (I'm thinking A2: Secret of the Slavers Stockade as I type this :wink: ) that you've DMed yourself the week before? At least your DM would have had more time to modify it into something unexpected.

"What's the secret of the Slavers Stockade?"

Hopefully not the same as it was 10 minutes ago. :lol: