4E, has Hasbro finally delivered the killing blow?

Discussion of OOP 1st & 2nd Edition products and rules, ie TSR AD&D material.

Moderators: Thorn Blackstone, Halaster Blackcloak

Minstrel
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Minstrel »

When the game turns into a board game, all of a sudden this "balance" issue becomes a much bigger deal.

It's the same shit we've said all along about 3e: adding more rules to cover every situation and adding all these tactical "action" features doesn't give the players more freedom, it gives them less. So instead of worrying about simple balance issues, like whether the fighter's thac0 progresses at a reasonable rate compared to the average monster at which he'll be swinging, you have to factor in 50 different "moves" and guess what geniuses? Stuff is going to break!
The gun is good. The penis is evil. The penis shoots seeds, and makes new life, and poisons the earth with a plague of men, as once it was. But the gun shoots death, and purifies the earth of the filth of brutals. Go forth and kill.
McDeath
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by McDeath »

GSL?

Sounds like WOTC is almost ready to release 4.1 ed. Jumping to 4.5 is just too much and since it is more video game orientated, then verssion numbers need to go in smaller increments. When they finally release version 5 they'll slowly increment in the hundredths place. (5.01, 5.02, etc).
At the edge of madness, he will show no sadness
Never broken, he'll be back for more
Proven under fire, over trench and wire
No fear of death, he's unshakeable
Forged for the war, he's unbreakable
Varl
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by Varl »

Tired of clone MMOs? So are we!
http://trialsofascension.com/
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

It sounds more and more like a combination of video game and card game. More a card game from what I'm seeing. What crap! :roll:
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

Mira
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Mira »

Halaster Blackcloak wrote:It sounds more and more like a combination of video game and card game. More a card game from what I'm seeing. What crap! :roll:
Exactly. I bet we'll be seeing the actual cards being sold fairly soon, since that's really the only reasonable way to play the game without a computer. Even the reviews that were favorable have said you pretty much HAVE to have a mat (board) and miniatures (pieces) and that writing down all the stuff on index cards can help tremendously. Now we're getting into territory that Hasbro understands, the board game! And once they get the cards out, they can start issuing new cards to expand it! WotC is good at that sort of thing.

It's really a shame that TSR got bought out by WotC who never really understood the game, then WotC being bought by Hasbro who is even more clueless.

Mira (Never count your chickens before they rip your lips off)
Sangalor
Denizen of the Underhalls

Post by Sangalor »

Varl wrote:And now it looks like WotC is turtling into their protective copyright shells with this latest version of their GSL. I love it. What clearer indication of a company that doesn't know what the fuck it's doing than to completely alienate, not only long time supportive fans like us (and even 3e'ers), but let's alienate every other company out there that used to be able to create D&D content under the OGL that pretty much can't under the GSL unless they ask WotC first! The arrogance and backpedalling is disgusting and deplorable. The outcry so far that I've read towards the GSL is deafening to everyone's ears except WotC's. :lol:

But really, how much can WotC expect to hear and even care when your head firmly buried deeply in the sand, you have an enormous turtle shell on your back, and you create crap?

To quote Dr. Evil: "Somebody get me the stick!"

WotC: "Eeee! Eeee! Eeee!"
I guess you need to question how much is this the preference/influence of WOTC or Hasbro? It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall while the planning teams are discussing these matters...
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

Mira wrote:
It's really a shame that TSR got bought out by WotC who never really understood the game, then WotC being bought by Hasbro who is even more clueless.
So very true! I knew it was bad news when the single dubious accomplishment of the buyer (WOTC) was creating a stupid/addictive card game. :roll:
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

Sangalor

Post by Sangalor »

Halaster Blackcloak wrote:Mira wrote:
So very true! I knew it was bad news when the single dubious accomplishment of the buyer (WOTC) was creating a stupid/addictive card game. :roll:
Are you talking about Pokemon? :P
Mira
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Mira »

Magic the Gathering was WotC's claim to fame, though acquiring Pokemon is one thing that influenced their purchase by Hasbro.

Mira (If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?)
Sangalor

Post by Sangalor »

Best reflection about 4th ed to date...(hat tip: CK)

a 1st level Kobold Skirmisher can possibly survive a 1st level character special attack that does 6d6+3 damage...

priceless. :cry: