Look what I found while on vacation!

Discussion of OOP 1st & 2nd Edition products and rules, ie TSR AD&D material.

Moderators: Thorn Blackstone, Halaster Blackcloak

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Look what I found while on vacation!

Post by Halaster Blackcloak »

Well this was cool! I found the greatest comic book store while I was on vacation in Ohio this weekend. And on top of getting some insanely good deals on some great vintage 60's and 70's comics, I also found this oddity that I've never even heard of before:

Anyone here familiar with this? It seems like another D&D wannabe competitor, and from what little I've read of it, it's trying to "improve" on the "unbelievable" aspects of 1E, such as moving towards better dungeon ecology, etc. Looked like a fun read in any case.
The Back In Print Project - Where AD&D Lives Forever!

Minstrel
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Minstrel »

It didn't happen to be Columbus, did it? I have an absolutely miserable business trip there every summer, and a good comic shop stop would give me something to which to look forward. Not that Columbus is much of a vacation destination, so I'm guessing not!

I've never seen that book, though a google search leading here makes me wish I had! Here is a gem:
-But let me add another bullet point to cover even more bad taste decisions: Homosexuality as a "flaw", but Bisexuality as a "quality"; a monster race called "Black Men"; and a discussion on "ethnic mages", i.e. the Jewish Sorcerer (Jewish also a "flaw", by the way).
Doirche

Post by Doirche »

Minstrel wrote:It didn't happen to be Columbus, did it? I have an absolutely miserable business trip there every summer, and a good comic shop stop would give me something to which to look forward. Not that Columbus is much of a vacation destination, so I'm guessing not!

I've never seen that book, though a google search leading here makes me wish I had! Here is a gem:
-But let me add another bullet point to cover even more bad taste decisions: Homosexuality as a "flaw", but Bisexuality as a "quality"; a monster race called "Black Men"; and a discussion on "ethnic mages", i.e. the Jewish Sorcerer (Jewish also a "flaw", by the way).
- In conclusion
It's F.A.T.A.L. without the anal rape.
:shock:
Hegel
Dungeon Delver
Dungeon Delver

Post by Hegel »

Doirche wrote:
Minstrel wrote:It didn't happen to be Columbus, did it? I have an absolutely miserable business trip there every summer, and a good comic shop stop would give me something to which to look forward. Not that Columbus is much of a vacation destination, so I'm guessing not!

- In conclusion
"Elephants copulated backwards, pelicans fed their young by digging chunks out of their own breasts, beavers eluded pursuit by biting off their own testicles..."
:lol:
Varl
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by Varl »

Doirche wrote:

- In conclusion
No thanks. For one, I don't know why they have to insist on putting pentagrams on perfectly good Minotaurs, and if I were that Minotaur, I'd be pissed too. Second, everyone knows Minotaurs aren't winged. :wink:

I tend to stay away from any works that perpetuate, accentuate, or seemingly endorse blatantly satanic references or imagery, not because I'm concerned over what other people think, but because I think it's stupid.

I prefer my fantasy to be completely separated from religious iconics regardless of the faith. That's also why I'll never run a game or play in a game with real world religions as the choices for priest characters.
Tired of clone MMOs? So are we!
http://trialsofascension.com/
jeffx
Scribe of Tomes
Scribe of Tomes

Post by jeffx »

Varl wrote: I prefer my fantasy to be completely separated from religious iconics regardless of the faith. That's also why I'll never run a game or play in a game with real world religions as the choices for priest characters.
Amen!. Sorry, that was pretty bad.

I agree but it was a lesson I learned a hard way back in my "good ole days". I was running a game that had a cleric. The player asked about the holy symbol. I quickly remarked "blah blah CROSS blah blah". Didn't think anything about it. 3 session later,..holy war amongst my players. It is one of the reasons why I started playing in Forgotten Realms.
Minstrel
Citizen of Undermountain
Citizen of Undermountain

Post by Minstrel »

Varl wrote: I prefer my fantasy to be completely separated from religious iconics regardless of the faith. That's also why I'll never run a game or play in a game with real world religions as the choices for priest characters.
For me, anything that close to the real world is just very "meh". I like fantasy to draw on real world themes without being obvious about it.
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Minstrel wrote:
It didn't happen to be Columbus, did it? I have an absolutely miserable business trip there every summer, and a good comic shop stop would give me something to which to look forward. Not that Columbus is much of a vacation destination, so I'm guessing not!
No, this was Dayton. Dayton isn't any sort of vacation destination either, but then this was really just intended as a relaxing road trip. Of course, it sucked that I couldn't get to either of the martial arts dojos I used to train at, because both were either closed or away for the weekend. Got in touch with my favorite instructor, but he was leaving to go out of town himself, so that aspect of it fell through completely. :?

But if you're ever in Dayton, check out Bonnets' in downtown Dayton, or Bell Books & Comics also in Dayton. Bonnet's is where I got that Fantasy Wargaming book, and the store had all sorts of cool vintage books, memorabilia, etc. The Bell Books & Comics store had far more comics and graphic novels, almost al comic related, plus lots of D&D stuff (including plenty of OOP D&D material!).

Nevorick
Dungeon Delver
Dungeon Delver

Post by Nevorick »

I actually have a copy of this book as well. I got it @ 1984 when I bought an aquaintance's lot of books wholesale. He sold me everything, including dice.
It's kind of strange, but it has a few interesting notes in it. I've never used it for anything other than pulling it out once as a joke and rolling on one of the tables. The result which we joked about was about the player character's family life, he supposedly ended up with a narcoleptic prostitute for a mother in his back story. :lol:
Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

It really is strange, but it was worth if for the wrap-around cover alone, if nothing else. :twisted:

Some nice tid-bits to grab here and there too.

Halaster Blackcloak
Lord of Undermountain
Lord of Undermountain

Here's the wrap-around cover. Note that there's space missing in between the covers where the spine would go, therefore the art doesn't match up...they cut out that part for the spine.